Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Just In…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Just In…

I totally forgot I had supported the kickstarter on this wok, and lo and behold, what shows up at my door? This beautiful Misen 12” carbon steel wok with glass lid! I had fired up the Primo to season it, but I opened the box, and it came pre-seasoned! I love the look and feel of it. I will report more after usage. If it’s anything like the other Misen pans I have, I’m going to love it. Any ideas for first cook in this baby?
    Attached Files

I would do something you are familiar with that way you can concentrate on using the full potenetial of the pan, and if you keep it simple for the first few cooks you will learn the pan's secrets

Comment

Maybe somethin' with meat and veggies in it?

Comment

Wow!! Super cool. I agree completely with my namesake: Do something super familiar so that you can isolate the effect of the new wok as much as possible. Eliminate as many variables as you can so that you can attribute any difference with confidence

Comment

I would open with snap peas, book choy, red peppers & garlic shrimp. Obviously not all in one batch. One dinner. Use it for what it’s made for, cookin, not mom’s American chop suet from the 60’s.
          Last edited by FireMan; April 24, 2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            You got it Fireman!

Awesome looking wok, can't wait to hear (and see) your reviews.

Comment

Just "Wok this way"!

Comment

Actually, you need to send it my way. I will be waiting
              Last edited by bbqLuv; April 25, 2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I almost pulled the trigger on this kickstarter myself last year, then decided I needed a 14" wok instead, so went another way (The Wok Shop), since a new carbon steel wok was intended to replace an old 14" non-stick wok that has been hanging on a hook in the pantry for years. Your Misen wok looks super nice, and the pre-seasoning is a lot more even than my current level of seasoning on mine...

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don’t fret over the looks of yer seasoning, matters not. Workin it keeps it seasoned. 14 will serve you well.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I decided to let go of my fretting over the look of my wok, seasoningwise, and concentrate on how it cooks. It cooks just fine. No sticking, even though it doesn't have that beautiful dark bluish black patina that I see on Kenji's wok. I deep fry often in my wok so it has a "tan line" starting at the top of the oil level. It looks pretty above that line and looks like its tan needs work below that line. I've been using it pretty regularly for over a year.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; April 26, 2022, 11:30 AM.

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also have a 14” wok that I can no longer use very efficiently, the wooden handle got lost. It usnscrewed form the pan for convenience. Got lost somewhere!

Kung Pao Chicken with lots of veggies from the garden and add peanuts, always a smash hit at our house!

Comment

I second the Kung Pao Chicken vote for your first cook. Use Kenji Lopez Alt's recipe for it and you won't go wrong. You can find it on Amazon in the "Look Inside" option of his book, The Wok on page 61 if you don't have the book (or if you do have the book).

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; April 26, 2022, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for this link Kathryn! My wife loves kung pan chicken. I'm gonna try making that recipe from the preview of the book, until I have a chance to pull the trigger on a copy of it. Too many other expenses right now and I don't really have time to read and cook through it just yet.

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it's an awesome cookbook!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here