Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New entry into the carbon steel pan market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New entry into the carbon steel pan market

Baking Steel has entered the carbon steel market.

Original Baking Steel® is Made in the USA & pre-seasoned with our proprietary oil. Throw away your old stone and start making better pizza, breads, & more!

Pretty nice looking pan. I'm sticking with stainless and CI though, I don't see the advantage. One thing that does strike me after looking at the pictures is they stamp out a carbon steel disk, spot weld a handle to it and sell it for $89. What a deal....for them !!!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Advantage is weight but the one I have is still pretty heavy.

Thanks for posting, Ron. I see from the link, the new pans are actually made by de Buyer. I've got one of their woks and it is easily among the best I've ever used. Here's a link to a Serious Eats article that offers a very informative view of CS vs CI.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That was a good read.

I have a carbon steel pan I've never really warmed up to. I guess I should give it some attention at some point.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Shouldn’t take too long to warm up.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't get it seasoned very well so I think I may want to strip it down and start over.

The difference between CI and CS depends on the weight/thickness of your CI. I have a new Lodge combo cooker and the lid doubles as a sauté pan. It's VERY heavy and takes a while to heat. That makes it great to use for searing steak, etc where the retained heat means that the pan temp varies less. It also means it's crappy for sautés where you want to control temp and have the pan react quickly.

I also have some of my grandmother's Wagner CI which is thinner and much better at reacting. It's still not as thin as CS but it's fine for a lot of sauté purposes.

You can, of course, use SS for sautéing but you need to use more oil and watch sticking. With a well seasoned CS pan you get the relatively non-stick performance of CI that's seasoned, but the responsiveness of SS.
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 25, 2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot on!

I've had my eye on this for the last couple of months. Waiting for a review from Serious Eats. I bought their Baking Steel to use in my oven for pizza's, and love it.

Comment

I have the baking steel and love it for my pizza. I will keep an eye on this for further reviews.

Comment

I use Mauviel and their great!

Comment

Given CS pans of the same thickness does anyone really believe that the manufacturer really has any bearing on actual performance?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here