Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spinaker - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker - Help

My wife - yes, really my wife - burned ALL of the pre-seasoning off of my favorite Lodge pan in the oven. This happened over a month ago. I have put the pan in the oven every time we use it, seasoning it and wiping excess oil off. What I have after probably 15 oven seasoning attempts is a bit of lumpiness and still discoloration in parts. It ends up sticky even after taking in out and wiping it down. I used the last of my flax to begin the process and have been using olive oil ever since. How will I get it back?

Ouch. I would strip it back so that there aren't parts of it that are seasoned and parts not. Then I would reseason the bare metal.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup.
      That's where yer basically at, brother tbob4
      Don't be disheartened, it's a lil laborious, but easy peasy.

I would strip it down to metal too and reseason it with a Larbee puck. And a bit of advice, don't ever use olive oil. The smoke point is too low and most likely why you have the sticky residue.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh I'd never heard of Larbee. Interesting stuff

I think you are using too much oil - that's why it gets sticky. You really want the thinnest coat possible.

Strip down - er - I mean strip the pan down and start over...

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Just give it back to your wife - she's evidently good at removing the seasoning...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Sssccchhhnooorrttt!!!!

Almost blew me bourbon an coke (an bourbon) outta me nostrils, hee hee...

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB LMAO!!!! Nice shot....

Yep, strip it down and reseason. There's no reason to add a seasoning layer after every use, that's overkill.

What I do if I'm only reasoning a single piece is use heavy-duty Easy-Off, soak that puppy down and stick it in a garbage bag in the sun. You might need to do that a couple of times. And wear safety gear, long rubber gloves and safety glasses at a minimum, caustic soda ain't no joke. Then wash with hot water and dish soap and scrub the crap out of it. Then rinse with cold water for way longer than you think you need to, you want to make sure all that caustic is off. Dry with a towel and toss in a 200F oven until it's completely dry. Then season with the oil of your choice, I like grapeseed, avocado, canola, or crisco and have never had any luck with flaxseed. Put on 3-4 layers and then start cooking.

As far as maintenance, I just wash the pan under hot water and if it looks like it needs it throw it on the stove, put a layer of oil or Crisbee on all let it smoke. Let it cool, put a thin layer of oil on and hang it up.

Comment

Haha, there's no shortage of opinions on seasoning cast iron. I've been experimenting with what works for me for over two years. I don't know why, but I get bad results from olive oil. What I've been doing is applying three thin coats of canola oil each followed by an hour and a half at 350F. The last coat is 25% flaxseed oil and 75% canola oil. It is set by a two hour stay in the oven at 500F followed by an all night cool down in the oven. I get the beautiful black that flaxseed offers with a very durable seasoning. My latest experiment is using used fryer oil. So far it is the best thing I've tried. It has already had some of the volatiles cooked off and has a higher carbon content. The local chicken restaurant will give me a quart anytime I need it.

Comment

Thank you all. RonB - I laughed like heck because as I have been failing and my wife has been angry at my grumbling I have felt like telling her "well help me start over, you know how" That skillet handle is a bit too long for her to miss my head with my best avoidance techniques.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Duck an Weave, Ted!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones - Hahahaha. There was a time when I was REALLY fast. I am still quick but get stuck in every position after that first move. It makes me an easier target.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          @So, tbob4 , ya jus gotta maintain more 'Distancin', gives us ol codgers more time to evade/escape unscathed lol Brother :-)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here