Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill alternative

Since it’s real cold here right now I need a grill alternative to cooking a nice steak. I assume most people use a cast iron skillet. I’ve done it a few timesbut never been impressed with the results. What’s the secret or should I look at another way to do it? Note, when I say cold, I’m taking -12 wind chill. Don’t want to be outside at all.
    Last edited by Mark-B; January 19, 2020, 05:54 PM.

Sous vide with a cast iron sear.

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      +3

Can't help ya. I like doing it outside on my Performer with SnS. But I'm in Virginia.
    Maybe a gas grill with a sear station?

Comment

Sous Vide then fill a charcoal chimney about 1/3, let it get hot and do a reverse sear.
      Cold where I live as well - the chimney can come to temp while you are in the house and the reverse sear is just minutes!

Comment

If you don’t have a sous vide setup, you can just heat in the oven at 225F until internal temp is ~10 F less than your finish temp. Then heat a dry cast iron pan to ~600F+, lightly oil the steak and quickly sear on all sides. (Use your vents or open a window, this will smoke).

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          I will try that next time as it seems the easiest option. And no I’m not setup for Sous vide. The only thing I’m concerned about is the smoke that will be created with such a hot cast iron pan.
          Last edited by Mark-B; January 19, 2020, 07:37 PM.

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Using this process with avocado oil and ~500º will give a similar result with a lot less smoke. The smoke point of avocado oil is greater than 500º and is a good 100º higher than more common oils. As a Floridian, I struggle with the concept of opening a window to -12º wind.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I would recommend.

Never tried avocado oil. Didn’t know it had such a high smoke point.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I must have half a dozen different cooking oils in the pantry now but will have to look into this avocado oil thing.

• AverageJoe
          AverageJoe commented
          Editing a comment
          I picked some up recently and really like it. Has a great taste and would even be good for a dipping oil if you add some spices to it

Avocado oil is great, Costco has a very reasonably priced bottle. All I use for oils is a nice expensive olive oil and avocado oil for high temp searing.

Comment

First off, who gives a rip about windchill. Unless yer cookin in the middle of a corn field you can cook it on a grill with or without Cast Iron. I’d use CI with duck fat. Second I’d do it on my Sportsman’s CI Grill. Third I’d do it on my gasser. I used to have a rule of not cookin below 14 real temp, I’ve changed since last year when it was rill cold & cooked when it was 6F. Go for it, don’t mess around. 🕶

Comment

• Mark-B
            Mark-B commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, it’s just a pain in th a$$, tracking in snow, cold, etc. We have about 5 inches of snow out there too. Sometimes you gotta call it and this is one of those times.

A front sear in a CI and the roast in the oven is another option. Similar to above, but should provide really good results.

Just hsve to make sure you watch the temp, use a thermometer Nd it’s all good!
          Last edited by barelfly; January 19, 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

You might think about a Lodge Hibachi grill. You can literally put it on the porch and cook a steak or two. That saves you having to venture out into the cold and still be cooking outside.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, that’s the Lodge Sportsman’s CI.

We use avocado oil regularly. Chosen Foods brand from Costco. I really can't perceive any taste from it - very nice oil to use. Slick! https://www.costco.com/chosen-foods-...100449349.html
            Ours is in the light blue bottle - right next to the olive oil, canola oil, and smaller bottle of balsamic vinegar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_200852.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	793741

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              That's my go to high heat oil too.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              It's available at about any grocery store. We get it a Publix, and it probably costs a little more than EVO, but not by much.

I was unaware of the avocado oil. Good stuff here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here