Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Dutch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dutch Oven

I got an REI gift certificate for Christmas. Since no one is begging to see me in spandex tights, and I don’t need a thousand feet of mountain climbing rope, I decided to get a camp Dutch oven. Lodge 6 quart. Now I’ll have to light a fire. Okay, if I must.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8AA0EFD7-094A-4CEB-8936-F9ADD66CE41F.jpeg
Views:	479
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	785692

I just have one question. Will it float? ;-)

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; January 1, 2020, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure hope so. The REI sales girl told me it could be used as a whitewater boating vessel.

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      No but it would make a damn fine anchor!

Congrats! I think I have that same one, haven't used it yet though [hangs head in shame].

Comment

Awesome! I love my Lodge DO.

Comment

I may try to camp out on a hunt next year and definitely need a dutch.

Comment

You can never have enough cast. Great choice!

Comment

Cool. I have a large one myself. Last year on one of our camping trips a park ranger did a class on cooking with Dutch ovens. It was really good. They truly can be used like an oven, amazing what he was able to turn out. But... You do need some time (like most of the other things we cook on these boards).

Comment

Lots of good meals can be had from a DO. Enjoy!!

Comment

Congrats but please don't post a picture of yourself in spandex if you change your mind...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Especially if radshop is a hot, twenty-something female...

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I could rock a budgie smuggle...you would never know though, due to all the hair...

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  texastweeter , we could go fer a pic of that to !

Congrats. I have one too, but like Huskee I haven’t used mine either. I have an enameled one I use all the time though.

Comment

Here’s a good resource I found a while back, that includes a calculator for how many charcoal briquettes it takes on top and bottom of your dutch oven to cook at different temperatures when baking.

Camp Cooking - campfire temperature for dutch ovens

Comment

• radshop
                    radshop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow! That's awesome. Fascinating reading. I better learn some of this just in case I don't have internet while camping.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah radshop that one page doesn’t help if you want to cook in the campfire. But if you have a bag of charcoal briquettes with you, seems like a predictable way to get the temperature you want.

• radshop
                    radshop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jfmorris I guess if I'm taking a dutch oven camping with me then I'm driving, not hiking. So why not take a bag of KBB? (I couldn't afford the ultralight titanium backpacker dutch oven with the gift certificate I got!)

We carried something like this in our patrol mess kit when my son was in scouts.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                    Dan Deter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've got that chart somewhere. Works well!

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is great. Never seen this before. I have a DO I found at a campsite years ago. Still have never used it, but will print this chart and put inside for use someday. Maybe my grandkids.

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its amazing what people leave behind at campsites. @TripleB

Season that thing up like the cast iron it is and cook on it in your backyard!

I made yesterday's blackeyed peas in one of these. It's one of those kitchen/patio items you don't now how badly you need until you have one. Enjoy!

Comment

We have a similar (same?) one, and we use it camping a lot. My wife has made everything from burgoo to lasagna to pineapple upside down cake in it.

Comment

Check out Kent Rollins. He is a wizard at D O cookin.🕶

Comment

• radshop
                        radshop commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Zackly! That’s part of the reason I decided to add the camp oven to my tonnage of cast iron.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here