Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SeriousEats Cast Iron Pan Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SeriousEats Cast Iron Pan Test

Interesting read. Spoiler Alert: All the pans basically perform about the same. Price and ergonomics are the two key factors to consider when buying a cast iron pan.

Based on that their recommendation is the standard Lodge pan compared to the more expensive skillets. Not saying I wouldn't love to have some of the Field or Smithy or Stargazer pans but it makes me feel a bit more content with my collection of Lodge pieces. This curbed my MCIS (more cast iron syndrome, the close cousin of MCS) for the time being but I am sure that won't last.

Here we go. My 2 cents, if anyone cares to read........

Get a pan that YOU love and like to handle. Don't worry about price or what any one says you should buy. Price doesn't always mean it will work better for you or any worse. If it works for you, buy it and use it. I own tons of Lodge pans, more than anyone I know, and I love them all. Also own pans from Blacklock, Marquette, Smithey, Finex, Field, Stargazer, Butter Pat, Griswold, Wagner, BSR, and probably a few that I am forgetting. They all have their place. As the cast iron market gets more crowded, you are gonna find more "tests" like this. The fact is what is right for me, is not right for you all the time. I have huge hands, so I like a large, thick handle, so I love my Finex and Stargazer for that. Many people don't like those pans for that reason. I love the Smithey because it is smooth and heavy, A lot of people don't like that either. So what....who cares what everyone else likes or dislikes. When you are buying a pan for life and something you are going to pass on to your kids or grandkids, who cares what anyone else thinks? Again, get what works for YOU ti will last you a lifetime! They are all made of Fe. Just get what works for you and forget about these "tests".

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Huh oh, Huskee, Spinaker isn't the one on the porch with no hair, is he? (Maybe to obscure, a "Deliverance" reference.)
      Last edited by JimLinebarger; October 16, 2019, 01:31 AM.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Dexter slicer, it is my go too! My Shun slicer that was 5 times as expensive sits. Same deal, my friend. JoeSousa

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha, unfortunately it has gotten way more out of hand than that! JimLinebarger

I don't think I've ever bought a cast iron piece for more than $15. I find pieces, mostly Griswold and a couple of Wagners, at garage sales and on eBay that need a little TLC. There's a special feeling when you are able to take something that looks rough and make it useful again, maybe for the first time in decades.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      My mom has an old Wagner that was her mom's. Smooth as snot and black as night. Keep waiting for the grim spectre of death to overtake her so I can get my hands on it. Well, not really. But maybe?

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a lot from my grandmother. Mom didn't want them, so I didn't have to wish her ill. Smart move, mom.

Eh. They didn’t test the stargazer, which in my opinion wins.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      They are fantastic. I love my Stargazers.

As I use my new Stargazer, I love the little helper handle opposite the main handle. I was really thankful for that a few days ago when I flipped a 425F pan of Potatoes Anna onto a serving plate. Not sure I could have done that move with a single-handled skillet. I also like the longer main handle, because it's long enough so I can grasp it with both hands if needed.
    Last edited by IowaGirl; October 15, 2019, 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I like "the handle" due to using it with part wrist or forearm instead of just gripping with the fist only, if that makes any sense. It’s hard to describe. The handle is unlike anything else in existence.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I've wondered about that too, FireMan -- the cup-shaped handle sure invites a person to use the wrist/forearm for more support and leverage. I'm going to have to make a wool cover for the handle to be able to safely do that.

I can see Spinaker liking Stargazer, not really connecting with IowaGirl ;-)

Comment

Very useful and needed info. Thanks JoeSousa and Spinaker .

Comment

Good review. I like my Stargazer and Field cast ironware but I myself have not noticed much difference between them and Lodge other than weight. When traveling and doing the AirBNB thing, I carry the Field and Stargazer since it is a little lighter and a lot of rental properties have cheap crap for cookware. In the last week and a half, I've bought three new Lodge items and they are all very nice to use.
        Last edited by 58limited; October 15, 2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Note: their "Best Everyday Cast Iron Skillet: Lodge 10.25-Inch Skillet" is showing up for $13.88 right now at Amazon - seems a good deal to me!

Comment

I agree with Spinaker , whatever works for you. It is just like discussing cameras, what the best camera? the one you have with you, lol. I have seen people win photo competitions with an iPhone beating out images from $10,000 Hasselblad. When it comes to cookware if you know what you are doing you can turn out a 5-star meal from a cheap set of pans from the dollarstore.
            Sure I would love a stargazer, but every time I add it to the cart I think of the years of seasoning on my lodge pans and how well they work for me. I also have an giant 16 inch cheap Ozark Trail pan I use when I take the Scouts camping that I sanded down to a smooth finish and re-seasoned that I wouldn't trade for anything. Less than $25 and its a smooth\non-stick as any high-end pan I have ever seen. So again whatever works for you and your budget is the best for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here