Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Cast Iron Line from Lodge Manufacturing Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So rate this post.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	22F60D78-04C0-4DFC-8200-2ABF97142160.gif
Views:	474
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	711948

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Trout.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually I like the pans....the response, meh

Thanks. These look like a cool new design.

i need to up my cast iron game.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah! I am looking forward to getting one. I should have it next week. I will post it here so you guys/gals can see it. I really like that new design on the back.

My wife and I took a short trip last week to New Braunfels, Tx to celibate our anniversary. On the day we headed home we decided to check each small town for antique malls and stores. She shops for what ever suits her and I hunt for CI. I got home with a number 14 Birmingham stove and range skillet, that's a 15 inch skillet, a 9 3/4 inch wagoner round skillet, a wagoner square skillet that's over 10 inches across, and a beautiful wagoner Dutch oven bottom. They are all as smooth as silk and as good as new. I've got $125.00 tied up in the whole group. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can get out, have some fun bargaining for the lowest possible price, see some new places and get some great CI without breaking the bank. It's easy to educate yourself on CI, there are resources on line and u tube. If there's any interest I'll post pictures as soon as I finish reseasoning them.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Careful Homey, you might get flagged for needling.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes me want to go and pick through all the old cast iron squirreled away in our house. Not even sure where it all came from. A lot was my Grandma's, and she probably inherited it before I was born. And the previous owner of a pop-up we bought left all his cooking stuff in the trailer, which included a bunch of CI (he knew it was there, just didn't want to deal with cleaning out the trailer). Probably something worthwhile in there (I've been cooking with some of it for years).

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been having some fun with a digitally controlled induction cooktop outside on the lanai.I'd like to find an antique 10-inch pan with a smooth surface as a mixture of old and new.

Spinaker, thanks for bringing this New Line of Lodge CI to our attention. We are all waiting patiently for your review. If it weren't for the AR site I wouldn't have any CI at all. Now I have a few pans for myself and have gotten a few for gifts for our Daughters. Again because of this great site I've sanded and re-seasoned most of them for a nice smooth finish. Again thanks Spinaker for posting, CI is a fun hobby that goes well with all types of cooking for anyone interested in it. I made a frittata just last night on the pellet grill (to clean out the frig) and my Wife said is was good too.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad I could get you hooked on more cooking tools!

Yup! I like em. The Stargazer is hard to beat cuz of the handle, so that’s my 10”. So, I ordered a 7” for when I’m cookin for myself which I do a lot lately. Personally & I say personally, the smooth vs. little rough of Lodge is perception when it comes to performance. It doesn’t feel or look like other equipment that we are used to. But, it performs like it. It acts just like Cast Iron. Properly seasoned it’s as non-stick as can be. So I wait in anticipation for my Blacklock "63".

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said!

surfdog Then ruin their photos with cheezy HDR effects that make every photo look like a comic book.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Lol

hey Spinaker thanks for posting this as without this site it would have been a year or so for me to even hear of the new line. BTW did you ever get the 8" Smithey ? I was thinking about it and wondered what your thoughts are. thanks again.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I did! It is a great little pan. I really only use for eggs in the morning. But it is a gorgeous pan. I love it. All of Smithey's pans are great!

Just got my shipping confirmation. The 12" pan should be here on Thursday. I will try to get something cooked up that night. Regardless, I will post some pictures of the un-boxing and my initial thoughts.

I am always pumped to get a new Cast Iron pan. I really enjoy the unboxing!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you, I was happy when my Lodge stuff came a couple months ago. I got a large Dutch oven in the shipment, darnit if I haven't used it yet though!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh believe me, I have some pans that I have never used. LOL. Huskee

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker 🤣😂🤣

Why do most lodge adds show baked goods and not meat or fish? Even the fish pan doesn’t show any fish.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I have always wondered that too.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Vegetarians in the marketing dept?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I am not sure. I really only notice it with Lodge. They do always seem to show pies and the like. Never a big old fat steak! Huskee

I like the design but I already have a trad one in every size I need.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too!

I got a special delivery yesterday! My new 12" Lodge Blacklock pan has arrived! The unboxing was nice, and this pan really looks nice.

Name:	IMG_4799.jpeg
Views:	482
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	716933

The initial thing I noticed was how light it was. The pan itself is considerably lighter than the regular Lodge 12" pan. As you can see in the photo below, the Blacklock pan is just over two pounds lighter than the regular 12" pan. That is quite the weight drop. Most of that weight loss comes from the fact that the new Blacklock has a considerably thinner in profile, both on the bottom and the side walls.

Name:	IMG_4822 2.jpeg
Views:	483
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	716934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4823 2.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	716935

As I mentioned above, the side walls are noticeably thinner than the standard 12". Additionally, the bottom of the new Blacklock is also much thinner. Which will allow that pan to heat faster, but it will not retain the heat as well as the standard Lodge. Of course, losing some heat retention by having a thinner bottom will mean that searing can suffer but the trade off here is that the pan is easier to move from the stove to the oven, fire or grill.

Name:	IMG_4848.jpeg
Views:	465
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	716936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4849.jpeg
Views:	492
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	716937

Another thing that I really like about this new casting is the handle. At almost a full inch longer than the standard Lodge handle, it will make it much easier for users with larger hands. The old Lodge handle is way too short, in my opinion. As you can see, the new design is more ornate and it looks nice, but it is functional in that it will help to dissipate heat as well.

Name:	IMG_4850.jpeg
Views:	426
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	716938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4851.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	716939

The helper handle is also thinner and carries the Blacklock name on the top.

Name:	IMG_4810.jpeg
Views:	479
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	716940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4837.jpeg
Views:	477
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	716941

The cooking surface does appear to be a bit smoother than the regular Lodge pan, but nothing like the comparatively priced Stargazer or the much more expensive Smithey, Butter Pat, Field or Finex or Marquette Castings. For this pan, a smooth surface is not really a concern for me. This is how Lodge has to make their pans to keep their prices relatively low. Those other, more expensive pans are not made in huge the quantities that the Lodge pans are. Sanding, milling and grinding them all down to a smooth or a satin finish would simply not be cost effective for Lodge.

Name:	IMG_4809.jpeg
Views:	483
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	716942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4808.jpeg
Views:	487
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	716943

The back of the pan is an all new design with includes a the name, logo, year and location of the original Blacklock Foundry. The heat ring which is a throw back to the days when these pans would lock into a stove sold by Lodge. The regular Lodge pans also retain this feature as well.

Name:	IMG_4807.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	716944

All in all.... I am a fan. I have yet to cook on this pan yet, but I plan on getting a cook in tomorrow to see how she preforms. I am sure it will do great, as all of my Lodge pans do. This is already a great addition to my collection! Thanks for reading!

Name:	IMG_4824.jpeg
Views:	608
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	716945

Comment

Looks nice than I thought! Thank you for this. What will you be cooking?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure, I am going to have the KBQ going tomorrow, so I might be making breakfast in it over the live fire!

Spinaker Youve sold me...on a Stargazer 😮😮

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta get one. You’ll use it all the time.

Originally posted by JCBBQ View Post
      Spinaker Youve sold me...on a Stargazer 😮😮
      Now those are great pans!

Comment

Yeah, I can’t get over the weight loss.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          It is significant for sure.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here