Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CI Dutch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CI Dutch Oven

In my relentless pursuit of new ways to burn up some food, I am thinking about getting a CI dutch oven to use on the kettle. Heck, I can even see setting a grate on top of the charcoal ring ring in the base of the WSM and burning something up down there, like some beans or something. Or frying - the possibilities have my heart kind of racing (although that may just be the fact that I am wanting a cold beer right about now). Since I live right down the road from the Lodge factory and company store in South Pittsburg, I am contemplating looking at this when the http://nationalcornbread.com/ festival rolls around:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	L14CIA_L.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	627507
    OK, someone please talk me out of it. Please.

I'm gonna summon the CI whisperer Spinaker Spinaker Spinaker There. His majesty should appear any moment now.

Comment

klflowers Do ya happen to have a link to that piece of CI gear?

I haven't run across it, previous, like...curiosity piqued...

Yer Six is covered, Brother; I'll be takin up yer beer slack, until ya can escape yer workplace...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Brother!
        After diggin round Lodge's site, literally jus found it, my dang self, an was clickin to post th link...

Thanks fer havin my Six!

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        😎👍

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for covering for me, MBMorgan. I had to actually do some work there for a minute.

These new set ups are really cool.Very versatile.

If you are looking to just do frying, nothing beats a classic Dutch oven. But if you want more versatility, then go for this set up.I have one on order now.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, what set up are you talking about - I am not seeing anything on your post.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, you mean THIS setup. The one I posted. I am a little slow from time to time (or more that just from time to time according to the better half).

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers, don't feel too awful dang slow;
        I jus caught up with ya, my dang self...

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
      In my relentless pursuit of new ways to burn up some food, I am thinking about getting a CI dutch oven to use on the kettle. Heck, I can even see setting a grate on top of the charcoal ring ring in the base of the WSM and burning something up down there, like some beans or something. Or frying - the possibilities have my heart kind of racing (although that may just be the fact that I am wanting a cold beer right about now). Since I live right down the road from the Lodge factory and company store in South Pittsburg, I am contemplating looking at this when the http://nationalcornbread.com/ festival rolls around:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	L14CIA_L.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	627507
      OK, someone please talk me out of it. Please.
      That's not the way it works here 😁. The mantra is|: encourage folks to buy more stuff... So go for it!!!!!

Comment

Wait, I asked politely for someone to talk me out of it. Instead, the CI man, Spinaker, is saying what a nice setup it is. I am lost...

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          And RichieB is piling on... And my brother from another mother Mr. Bones is contemplating...

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers
          That's absolutely uncanny, Sir!

Turns out, (Hadda google it ), I was jus zackly what ya said; contemplatin...

(Yeah, that's th ticket!)

Had no Idea, at all; I jus thought I was havin me a think, or two...

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm gonna jump on the MCS wagon and say go for it!

I just bought this one for $30 thanks to a post here on AR.com. Though I did have some minor regrets or cheaping out and saving $10 over the lodge model I am still overall pretty satisfied with this dutch oven. I've seasoned it but only used the lid as a frying pan thus far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6liFoOlSBODH0HZQprjPOUfl2NwSqb_bA6oC1RfCe3XrYjuqDfp0ad4vyhQ79S_5qEK_pd4BHAdEioSh5PwjO49U-2mlZf8qH0p_zOn0iiXolipy7C-dczTviBqo1OXSKD3h_nFxIwNDzLani35XZlzNG9lWfhbp_mGJ3Mhw9Kie4UVJ5LteUfmv__kIpj8q0KWa84USBekA1B-hWeuJk4Dolyrg3lhAKBZirFFv75sDC4TE0LZGSsTQKq_f-Rl Views:	1 Size:	441.7 KB ID:	627573

Click image for larger version  Name:	4mVVQT53x2r9Wow2skwfg1XNWO8SkuI5-LBNKimEq2E0Pt-EsJa1IECSEUSPDFwcvfw3ruNyUSf40e6mJAxjHoQdppCq8rWljPvgq_dwgug38z9BBcN7erjiej7gNiNdJPw4z1iEcLha318LmMyMoHx_IQL9s4plsWd8JzN4Kjla08fRTOjlGc1Qw_6tKO3456SNbCNMve2eCA_g35hXNrlq5cOpjRL7otnoB-QKy9THYzWFqrarZO0zpF5cVsZ Views:	1 Size:	430.3 KB ID:	627574
        Last edited by Attjack; January 25, 2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

That’s not a Dutch oven, it’s their new Cook-IT-All. It is designed for campfires, but can be used on a kettle. It’s 14” in diameter. The griddle/grill/cover should serve a great multi purpose on the Weber. But again, it is not a Dutch oven. I would look closely at what you want to accomplish as far as what you will be cooking, bread, desserts or stews & just chow. Click image for larger version

Name:	4A4D3A77-5FF4-464C-AB96-155BEDD0952E.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	627642Click image for larger version

Name:	3053209F-C559-4DD0-9C7F-65777B8E0D56.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	627643Click image for larger version

Name:	C73EC03E-26FE-4480-8B32-2E9A9F8EF205.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	627644Click image for larger version

Name:	A418C802-237C-407F-8145-D8B0DDB3EECC.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	627645Click image for larger version

Name:	527985CF-F912-4ACD-A79D-4ECE877EBF1F.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	627646Click image for larger version

Name:	C2FDDE31-B93D-4140-9CAA-EEB6685859E4.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	627647

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan you are right. I am not sure what I would burn up in this thing but I know something would go in it. Have you used yours yet?

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, I bought it just before my wife’s "incident" & took delivery the second week of her 2 month stay. What with the work load that I have since she came home & the snow/cold I’m aiming for spring before I give it a crack.

Camp Chef has a new cast iron 12 quart commerative roaster called the Golden Spike. It's a beast but it arouses my MCS. I'm a fan of Camp chef products.

let me know how you like it once you get it Spinaker

​​​​​​​https://www.campchef.com/new-product...l-roaster.html

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I just looked further and found dimensions listed "Dimensions: 20.5 in. x 9.9 in. x 6 in. (with lid)"; sounds like this would fit perfectly in the Trailblazer, but I'll measure - maybe this'll be on my list (not that I really need it, but you know how that goes).

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Not found on Amazon yet.

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Found this a little less cost here - and bought one. https://www.outdoorcooking.com/golde...l-roaster.html Will let you know how I like it when it arrives. You all thanks. Wife will find out through eMail confirmation... no problem, she doesn't ask me when she buys for her hobbies.

Got this also but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. Definitely solid and classic lodge construction. Check the dimensions, as it will need a wide fire or a bunch of places coals if you want even heating.

Comment

Ha, funny that I stumble across this today...just bought my first dutch oven (a 5 qt Lodge) an hour ago online. Can't wait! I have a couple of skillets but I've never owned a dutch oven before and I'm stoked as hell to use it. I was inspired almost singlehandedly by a video from Cowboy Kent Rollins where he makes Scotch eggs in one. Absolutely stellar.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Rollins is a D O master, a lot to learn from him!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Cowboy Kent do ROCK!!!

Just saw this on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lodge-Cast-...SxpU:rk:1:pf:0

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're just getting into CI check this out! https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasone...cast+iron+cook

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              We already have a set of 3 Lodge skillets that my wife won't let me put on the grills. I am trying to decide what to get first for grill use only; I thought I would start with a Dutch Oven, then I saw the cook it all setup. I am going to try to wait for the cornbread festival - Lodge opens the foundry for tours, and I may be able to get a good price.
              We are ready! April 27th and 28th, 2024 Start making your plans to visit us in South Pittsburg, TN this spring! The wait is over and we are ready to welcome you back to enjoy the sights, sounds, and tastes of the National Cornbread Festival.  Located 30 miles west of Chattanooga, TN, this quaint southern […]

"We already have a set of 3 Lodge skillets that my wife won't let me put on the grills."

Why on earth would she not let you do that? It's really awfully hard to damage CI skillets...

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
              Frozen Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife won't let me put my CI on her new glass top so all my CI is under garage arrest for the time being. I'm waiting for the new shiny to wear off on her and it will all start to migrate back in.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              I third that emotion! I read here somewhere that "they" won’t use metal spatulas or spoons in there gear. It’s CAST IRON! Let me repeat cast IRON!
              Last edited by FireMan; January 26, 2019, 03:59 PM.

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife gets weird every time I use my BSR skillet on the Weber. I have no idea why, but I'm fairly sure the explanation is firmly in the "maintain eye contact and back away slowly" category.

So, while I have a skillet that only I use (wife won’t touch anything but her nonstick skillets), we don’t have a dutch oven. What’s the best size to start with? I see a lot of 5, 6 and 7 quart ones on Amazon.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              If it’s just you and the missus, I’s start with a 5. A 5 & 7 are the mainstays. Any bigger, you better have a passel of cowboys to feed & big arms. Even then two 5’s or 7’s would work better. You really should check Kent Rollins out on YouTube. He learnt his way cuz he did it for a livin. Plus ya just might end up grinning a bit. 🕶
              Last edited by FireMan; January 26, 2019, 02:56 PM.

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought the Lodge 7.5 qt and don't regret it. I like to make large quantities and vacuum seal most for future quick meals. The 7.5 is a perfect size for a turkey carcass if you want to make soup after the holidays. Anything smaller would be a tough fit. I think CIs are like smokers. I have never heard anyone say I wish I had bought the smaller one.

My introduction to Kent Rollins. Make sure you watch until the end so you can see the dance. Makes me want a dutch oven even more.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup! Now go do it!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here