Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

green light to buy first modern high quality CI skillet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

green light to buy first modern high quality CI skillet.

so I am ordering a skillet on Friday. High quality , but having a tough time deciding which one. Field, Smithey, ButterPAt, Finex.
    We are a family of 4 , most times two. Somewhat of a foodie. I would appreciate any guidance , also to size. And I am not going to sand a Lodge, nothing wrong with that just not interested in doing it.

Of the ones on your list, so far I have the Field and the Finex. Both great pans although the Finex is pricier, and justifiably so. It is a great pan. I also have a Stargazer that I really like. the Smithey and Maquette are both on my wish list. If you sometimes cook for four, I would get the larger pan size. Spinaker is probably our resident expert on CI and he will probably chime in soon.

Comment

I recently got a Finex 12"...Absolutely love it. Only problem is that it's just so heavy. But as Spinaker pointed out earlier...makes it a great tool for searing.

That being said I use it all the time and have cooked a good variety of things in it. Great investment.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        spinaker has been helpful. just the more I look into these , well, its like how do you choose, I like them all

I have the Finex and love it but it is pricey and heavy. My work horse is still my 12" Griswold. Have you checked around to see if you can find a old Griswold or Wagner? You will probably pay the same as you will for the nice new stuff but they are the best you're going to find.

I also happen to think Finex is the best looking of all the new ones. Love the shape and the stainless coil stay cool handle with the gold color tipped end. Every time I use it everyone comments on how nice it looks and asks where I got it.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
        Jon Liebers commented
        Editing a comment
        youre probably right, but since I wouldn't know a good Griswold from a bad one ,its just easier tobuy new

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        No mystery just make sure it's not warped or cracked. Any other problems like rust can be pretty easily corrected.

The wrought iron skillet that was up the other day looked amazing. I already can't find it...

I don't have anything other than Lodge and vintage. And I HATE to say this, but the vintage is all better. Someday the Lodge will be equal - when my grandkids have it.

Comment

Always start with the 12”. It’s the most useful. As far as which one, everyone has their favorite and they are all quite good. I have a finex and while it looks cool, it cooks the same.
      I don’t know how helpful
      Spinaker will be as
      Every pan is his favorite :-)

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        ain't that the truth - HA! And my "other" 'other' favorite is...
        Last edited by JGo37; November 6, 2018, 10:43 PM.

Where the heck is Spinaker when you need him. 😁

Comment

Have a look at this Kent Rollins CI skillet review on YouTube while you’re thinking it over:

Comment

• Jon Liebers
          Jon Liebers commented
          Editing a comment
          I have seen that. he pretty much likes them all

I have an Erie & a Griz 12”, but my work horse is a Stargazer 10. The handle on it is outstanding to work with.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like the stargazer, but now that they have a 12” that will probably end up my fave.

I have a ton of Lodge CI. My mom has an awesome old Wagner that will be mine in a few years. I have had my eye on one of the Field Company skillets lately. Seems like they are pretty similar to the older CI. Much lighter than my Lodge and a heck of a lot smoother.

Comment

You will be happy with all of these choices. It just comes down to what you like better. Between the pans that you listed above, I would go with Smithey or Finex. I like the handle on the Finex better but the Smithey does have a slightly larger cooking surface. Both of these pans are heavy and retain heat like champions.

I also love the Butter Pat, and they are great pans. But the price is high, especially when you head into the 12" "Lili" pan. I find that my Butter Pat and my Smithey are quite similar, with the Butter Pat being a bit lighter.

You would also be happy with the Field as well. They are cheaper than the others and they have a great cooking surface. Not as flashy but still a great pan, and one that is perfect for smaller folks that don't care to horse around a heavier pan. Their main advantage over the others is weight. I use these for my camp box when I am floating or camping.

For a family of four, a 12" or a 10" would work. I would go with the 12". The 10 maybe a bit small for some dishes and that 12 would be perfect. Plus, a 12" pan works well for searing a couple steaks or a few burgers.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            looks like still between Field and Smithey. That ButterPat LILI is real nice but $400, JOAN (10"cooking surface) goes for $295 (maybe). Field no 10 very reasonable $160 (and is 11 5/8 cooking surface). Smithey no 10 $160 is 9" cooking surface. and the no12 is cook surface of 10.5" $200. So the Field No 10 is actually a bigger cooking surface than the smithy No 12?
            so there it is. I

I don't know how many CI pieces i'll add after this. But I want this to be something one of my kids really wants in the future.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Any of these will fit that bill. I think the Smithey pan is the one for you. (and your kids)

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            ok , cant argue with that. I will order the Smithey 12. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

ok guys, just ordered me a No 12 Smithey. Any suggestions on seasoning?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Sweet. Eyeing them myself. Congrats!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, the CI God of the Pit, will propose flaxseed oil. He's got at least one thread here on his method. Worth finding!

Originally posted by Jon Liebers View Post
          ok guys, just ordered me a No 12 Smithey. Any suggestions on seasoning?
          YES!!! Welcome to the Smithey Fam! I have found that the Smithey is the best pan right out of the box! I made scallops own the first night! Just be liberal with the oil. There are some solid layers of seasoning that the factory puts on.
          If you have-not already checked out this thread, there is a compete guide to seasoning your pan! I am pumped for you, you will be a very happy camper.

In the past year, I have discovered an awesome new hobby. And I wanted to share just some of what it is all about. I am going to be restoring a few pieces that I recently picked up from a storage unit. The first one that I am doing is a large Lodge Reversible-Griddle. As far as restoration goes, I promise you, this is the best

Comment

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks so much for all the help. Now excited to get cooking! recommended first cooks?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            My pleasure. I would go with something high in fat. Like bacon or sausage. Be genres with the oil and let it rip! Jon Liebers

just received my Smithey No 12. Wow! this is a seriously nice pan. The surface is smooth like glass and just really well made all
          around.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah! Congrats Jon!

• Jon Liebers
            Jon Liebers commented
            Editing a comment
            been seasoning it with flax. Last night fried couple of eggs . Completely non stick. now i'll have to get the No 10 and No 8

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here