Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanity Check Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanity Check Please!!

I need to know why to buy this. It's calling me. Maybe a better, more sane idea would be to know why NOT to buy it. So, what does the PIT think? $ 200.00 and this 42x28x40 monster is mine!

I'd have to have a custom tripod made - that's what I'm thinking. And then a cauldron, and then...

I'd use it all the time, right?

What was? Is it originally?
    Lot of potential for a lot of things there.

Comment

Worst case it would make a really cool planter.
      Hell I’d grow some Reapers in that puppy.

Comment

It looks like there were probably two of these - one on each side of the stairs to Valhalla.

Comment

I'd take it just to have something cool, keep a small fire going on the patio. Looks very thin, like it was possibly plumbed with gas and had a decorative flame burning under a ceramic log or something. Looks like maybe 1/8" sidewalls. My fires would warp the bajebus out of it, but very cool none the less and I would have no issue getting it!

What is that word stamped on the base say? I can't really read it.

EDIT: What is a Valhalla? You got me curious about this thing.
          Last edited by lonnie mac; October 9, 2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            lonnie mac I could figure it out from the original pic - "WILLEY'S" on the CI stand. Yes - I am thinking bad thoughts about the tub thickness too. As to Valhalla:

In Norse mythology, Valhalla (from Old Norse Valhöll "hall of the slain") is a majestic, enormous hall located in Asgard, ruled over by the god Odin.

I am thinking Santa Maria grilling, with an adjustable tripod.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks brotha! Santa Maria grilling is the VERY FIRST thing that came to my mind. Got welder, steel is cheap. Fun project!

This would be a great fire pit to make charcoal over wine and cigars and lots of hunting and fishing tales...(lies according to the church)

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            When it concerns hunting and fishing, its called "embellishment", not lying.

Need you ask? 🕶

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well it's been listed a week and I'm the only one to call - that scares me...

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan I don’t believe I have ever seen a post where you argue for not buying. So, true confessions - how many cookers do you have and what do you have your eye on?

It's too late, you've already decided to buy it. You're just looking for validation....
          Last edited by Thunder77; October 10, 2018, 08:46 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Buy ASAP and post pictures of finished product. Think of it as recycling!

Comment

I can spend other people's money like nobody's business. Get it!

Comment

I don't think you should buy it unless you can get a second one for a matching set.

Comment

Oden says do it! I say Santa Maria grill!

Comment

If in a week you're the only one to call maybe a better price is available. Buy you know you want it.

Comment

• Bogy
                      Bogy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      JGo37 and that was when you knew you should have said $100!

• JGo37
                      JGo37 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bogy - that's a good answer, but seriously, you need to think scrap value. That's probably > $ 100.00.

• Dick Anderson
                      Dick Anderson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe go look at it and then offer $100? Cash and truck right there...

Because that thing is awesome!!! I would be all over that!

Comment

Looks like the base is an old cast machine stand. You could line the base with 1" firebricks, move the grate to one side and lay expanded metal over the rest of it and make a parrilla. I wouldn't go over $100 for it though.

Comment

• JGo37
                        JGo37 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Ahumadora - A Parilla, I am guessing, is an Argentine grill similar to what we call Santa Maria style in the US Southwest? Here, that fireplace grate runs close to $ 100.00 by itself, so it's a fair price overall.
                        Last edited by JGo37; October 10, 2018, 07:07 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here