Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter Pat Industries - Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butter Pat Industries - Cast Iron

For you CI folks! I don't know anything about CI, I know we have a Lodge skillet in our kitchen that my wife uses. But I was scouting lunch, looking online at what Chef Ricky Moore might be serving up at The Saltbox Seafood Joint today, and I saw a link he posted about Butter Pat Industries cast iron skillets. He said he "treated himself" to one (they are expensive!), so I followed the link and read a little. They look pretty darn nice, very smooth, but again I'm no chef and no blacksmith. I'm just curious what those of you that have experience in this area think... could this possibly be worth the investment?? Is this a rip-off?? Useless unless you're a chef cooking on it all day?? The best thing in CI and everyone should have one?? Just curious...

Butter Pat Polished Cast Iron Cookware is hand-cast thin for lighter weight and polished smooth on all surfaces. Cast iron hasn't been this smooth in 100 years. Made in limited quantities in the USA.

Ok. Where’s Spinaker when you need him. 😁

Comment

I believe those old school casting procedures are the difference in the smooth surface v modern day commercial production. Sand casts and textures etc....

No doubt about a smooth, even heat holding screaming hot surface though.

Spinaker is the one who can school you though. There are some there's too in the pit but I don't recall.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You are correct, the casting molds are different, that is part of the reason they are no longer smooth. I wish they could go back!

They are gorgeous pans no doubt, they will cook well and season very well too. They are expensive because they have the smooth surface. That takes time and energy to produce. (This the main reason why modern Lodges are the way they are.)

Are they too expensive? That is up to the buyer and purely subjective. I will say that there are several polished surface pans on the market right now that are considerably less expensive and will last as long as these pans. Finex, Stargazer, Smithey, Field and Marquette come to mind. And these are my favorite modern day pans.

Comment

I personally would not pay $300 for a CI skillet. I’m sure those are nice, but you can get a good CI skillet, that when seasoned, has as smooth a surface as any non-stick skillet out there.

I avoid new Lodge CI because I don’t like the rough surface created in the manufacturing process. They do that so the factory seasoning will adhere. That being said, I own a 12 incher that I use on my grill or over fires. But it’s a heavy sucker - definitely not a daily use skillet.

Do some research and you can find absolute steals on eBay or Craigslist. I would also check yard sales, flea markets, or any antique/junk store. Many rusted CI skillets end up being crazy good finds - just no one ever bothers to clean them up and reseason them. I have 3 old cast iron skillets I bought off eBay that I reseasoned myself - 1 Wagner and 2 BSRs. They are lighter than today’s skillets and have surfaces that are smoother than Clark Griswold’s saucer sled.

Comment

I found Kent Rawlins review of several top end CI skillets to be helpful.....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, me too...

That's pretty cool, learned more about CI reading thru here than I knew this morning, ha! I don't think we're in the market, my wife loves her grandma's Lodge we have, I was mostly just curious when I ran across that link. But if she changes her mind in the future - I now have a clue!

Comment

I love Kent Rollins.

Also, check out this YouTube video - this guy knows cast iron and gives great tips on identifying and finding good ones:

Comment

While certainly no CI officianado or expert, I have used them my entire cooking life. I'm sure there are numerous subtleties, but IMHO it still boils down to proper seasoning and care. We have quite a collection (brewing a pot of beans in a DO right now) and use them several times a week. Again, IMHO you don't need to spend a lot of money to acquire a nice, useful CI collection.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Sound advise

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                you don't need to spend a lot of money to acquire a nice, useful CI collection.
                Absolute Fact, Capn

I’m in the minority. I like my lodges best even though I have a couple smooth ones (finex). I don’t have to baby them at all (I scrub with soap,they just don’t care). and they cook great.

I noticed that stargazer is going to a satin finish now, confirming my experience that perfect "glass smooth" may not be what you really want.
              Last edited by Polarbear777; April 27, 2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you seen anything about their 12"? I can't wait to get one of those on order. And they are adding casting dates to the handles. Pretty cool.

I still rip Lodge pans weekly. They are great pans, I owe my cast iron passion to them.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I use a 12" Texsport that can't be more than about $40 several times a week. That thing is no-fail.

I have Lodge dutch ovens and a Camp Chef cast iron 13X13 casserole pan with a cover that also serves as a grill pan. I like them both and they perform satisfactorily. My work horse in my old Griswold #12 pan and the Lodge or Camp chef can't compare.
              I've been meaning to pull the trigger on a Smithey 10" but just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.
              Now I'm debating if I don't want the Finix 10" with a cover. Finix has more bling appeal with the octagon shape the stainless steel spring handle and brass loop at the end for hanging. But it's also functional bling.

When we entertain at the house and I cook everything in the smoker including sides that are usually cooked in cast iron I also serve family style right out of the cast iron. People are always impressed by foods cooked in cast iron. Not to mention the cast iron will keep your food warmer longer on the serving table.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                The only thing I wish I could give back to Finex is my lids. I never use them, and they are not cheap!

Not meaning to go off topic, but anyone recommend some good outdoor dutch ovens? I’m really wanting to get into outdoor dutch oven cooking. I know about Lodge, of course.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Lodge is pretty much the only people making them right now, in the US. You can get them from Camp chef too, but they are all made in China.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I fount an old one on Craigslist for $60. I might pull the trigger on it. Gotta love classic cast iron.

MCS creeping in... I wasn’t the least bit interested in a new CI skillet, just curious if one could be worth $200. Now I want to explore using ours on the grill. And I’m with ColonialDawg here, my grandpa cooked in DOs, and I remember seeing someone post a chili dog recipe for a DO. Want to do that when we go camping!

Comment

Spinaker how do you like your Finix and do you have any Smithey to compare it to? I thought the cover would be nice for braising and steaming as well as covering food to keep warm longer while on the serving table. Smithey does not offer any covers.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I love my Finex pans. I use them everyday. I don't have a Smithey yet. I think that will be my next cast iron purchase. The cover would work great for braising and steaming. I just don't do either one. If you buy a Finex pan, you will be happy with it. and if you don't like it, they take it back, as long as you own it! Frozen Smoke

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I have to change my answer. Now I do have a Smithey, well its on order anyway.

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha way to go Spinnaker Did you get the #10 or #12? I will wait until you get your Smithey and have a chance to review it here before I make my decision.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here