Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Oven Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch Oven Advice

I am looking at the Lodge Dutch Ovens and need some advice. Should I go with a plain cast iron version or get an enamel coated one. Here are some possible issues I have read:

Durability - Does the enamel coated one chip/scratch easily? Is this an issue?

Smoking - I have seen a lot of folks using the plain cast iron in a smoker. Can the enamel one be used in a smoker? Any issues?

Acidity - I see a lot of folks making chili in a plain cast iron but have read that foods with tomatoes (high acid) destroy the seasoned coating on the cast iron. Is this an issue?

Size - What is the optimum size of dutch oven for normal cooking. In other words, would you change the size you have and recommend a different size.

I would appreciate any and all comments. Which is the best (plain or enamel coated) for most situations and which is the best size. Thanks

I have a Lodge enamel 7.5qt and really like it. I’ve chipped it but that’s my fault. I shouldn’t have banged the spoon on it. Haven’t chipped it since then. But I’ve cooked quite a bit with it and it’s done well. I don’t have problems with food stick and it maintains heat well. I’ve fried various foods with it as well. For the price, you can’t beat it. Cooks Illustrated has a write up on Dutch ovens that may provide some more info for you.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equ...28-dutch-ovens

If you plan on using on open fire cooks, maybe cast iron is better. Or, one of each if you like the enamel type. If you look at Meatheads suggestion, the Bayou is cast iron and the Lodge is enamel, buying both is still fairly affordable if you plan on using both. I don’t have a cast iron Dutch though, so can’t comment on them.

Comment

When used outside, this would not be for open fire cooks. Just on a grate over charcoal or in a smoker.

Comment

jlazar, There is a 3rd Option as Well❗️ There is a Cast Aluminum Version that Is or Was Available❗️ They Were Available in 8"-10”-12" & 14" and Were Very Popular wit Boy Scout Troops‼️ I have No Experience with the Porcelain Coated Cast Iron Versions but I think Do to Chipping Problems❓ For My Money You I Would Buy an Aluminum or Cast Version Either One‼️
        I have Cooked in Both, CUM SE, CUM SA❓
        Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; February 10, 2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Had not heard of that option.

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          jlazar, You Can Find All Three Dutch Ovens on Amazon and eBay❗️ Use Cast Aluminum to begin the Search❗️ If their is any chance of You
          Using It Over Open Coals I Would Look for One with Feet and a Flanged Lid❗️ Eunice and I have 2 of the Vintage Wagner Oval Dutch Ovens have Had them for Years, Stew, Soup, Pot Roast & &❓ 👍👍👍👍👍 Dan

If you are going to use it in your smoker then you will want the plain CI dutch oven. I have both the enamel CI which is for the wife to cook with indoors and the plain CI for me to used outside.

Comment

I've used our enameled ones on the grate over charcoal many times without issues. Over a live wood fire - couldn't say.

Comment

Just bought an Lodge enamel one from Target. They recommend: Enameled Cast Iron can be used on gas, electric, ceramic and induction cooktops, and are oven safe to 500 °F. Do not use in microwave ovens, on outdoor grills or over campfires. Always lift cookware to move.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              OK, mine were used in a 250 degree BGE with a deflector, so I guess it fell into the "oven safe" category. Thanks for the additional info!

If its with charcoal (I do it that way) you want cast iron. Season well, NEVER wash it. Clean it afterwards with boiling water and paper towels, and lightly coat it ALL over with oil (legs, lid, inside, outside) and it will last for years.

Tons o' fun too!

Comment

I would not buy the enamel coasted DO. As others have mentioned, they are not safe for the grill or open fire. They also can chip.

Enamel coated DOs are great for chili or anything acidic. Acidic foods, such as red sauces, will strip the seasoning over time. I do have enamel coated cast iron dutch ovens, but I use them inside only. None of mine have chipped at all.

As for capacity, you should go with a 6 Qt. That will give you enough for a sizable pot of food, but not too heavy when loaded. Most recipes will fit in it without issue.

Go with the old school, it has been working for thousands of years!

Comment

I have the 6 qt enameled CI for oven/stovetop and 5qt regular CI for grill/smoker/fire usage. The 5qt gets some indoor usage as well, because it's got the skillet lid.

Honestly, they're not all that expensive compared to the competition, so just buy both

I haven't chipped my enameled yet, but I'm not real worried.

Comment

In South Africa the Boers version of a dutch oven is called a Potchee. The Boehr version of Dutch ovens are found all over the continent.
                  They claim it cant be beat for campfire cooking. Same as our Dutch oven but has 3 legs.
                  I've seen them used and eaten from them and they work extremely well. I worked in an oilfield camp where the South Africans would ''potchee'' cook nearly every weekend. They used a pot that could feed 15 or 20 people.

The Boers claim they are easier to use than a Dutch oven because of the rounded shape. and the curved bottom supposedly distributes heat better without the scorching that sometimes comes from a flat bottom Dutch oven on the coals. The round bottom kind of keeps things juicier as the liquids collect down there.

Villagers use the Potjies for everything imaginable from commune bath tubs communal cooking to communal laundry to rendering meat to making soap.. And they will do it all in the same big old pot.

Edited to include I found a link to potchee's and it looks like it is spelled Potjie. There are a few recipes on the site also. The foods the SA boys made was a lot of chicken stews of different types, Fish stews, and of course beans with a variety of meats. The spices they use are different than what we normally use but it is really good food.
                  www.taste-africa.com/product_potjie.php

WOW--I rambled on quite a bit there didn't I?
                  Last edited by Cheef; February 10, 2018, 11:48 PM.

Comment

I have one enameled and the rest are regular cast iron some of it very old. I have the Lodge with the short legs that I use with charcoal under and on top. I have several that I use in the smoker when I make side dishes like mac and cheese or potatoes.

I just used my enameled for making a big pot of Goulash this week. I used tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes so I needed the enameled one. They are also good deep fryers as the cast iron holds the heat well.

I just purchased a 13" square cast iron casserole from Camp Chef I haven't had the chance to try yet. There are pics of it in this sub forum and few threads down if you want to take a look at it. The cover doubles as a griddle.

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs. I think I will get the 7.5 qt enameled for inside and the 5 qt cast iron for outside.

Comment

I have a varied size collection of LeCruesset enameled cast iron from France. Have never chipped despite dropping. Used on the stove, in the oven and in a smoker, virtually indestructible. They are pricey but worth the money since its a lifetime investment. I would suggest a 7 quart oven for general cooking needs regardless of what type you buy.

Comment

• Spinaker
                          Spinaker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, those are nice rigs.

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Matches my experience - no issue in the smoker. I have a couple of them.

One more thing to add to the pot... my mom took an enameled CI out of the fridge and put it immediately over a gas stove burner. It cracked beyond use. The weird thing was she had turned to us and asked if we thought it would be alright and crack! Our answer was no.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                          Danjohnston949 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So Did You Take Mom Out Fot Dinner Then❓❓ Inquireing Minds Need
                          to Know‼️ 🤗😇🤗 Dan

• Mudkat
                          Mudkat commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No we just ate the pot. 😁 It was a dish of chop suey so she just transfered it to another pot. Man it was good ! I had smoked some ribs the night before and it was right up there with 'em! Danjohnston949 !

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here