Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted : Quick & Easy Cast Iron Skillet Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted : Quick & Easy Cast Iron Skillet Recipe

Joining the Pit has given me motivation to rethink using cast iron in the kitchen again. I dug out a couple of Griswold's (5 & 6) that I forgot I had (hanging from the same hook as some Lodge's) and gave them a little TLC yesterday. The 5 was always used make johnnycake's but what would you cast iron Jedi's recommend for a quick and easy recipe for just my trophy wife and I in the 6 to go with the johnnycake?

I love making Corn bread in my skillets.

I like sweet corn bread. I know the southerners will say this isn't Corn bread, but that is how we do it up north, and we call it corn bread. (We need a little sweetness to help brighten the day and fight off the cold in the winter months!)

Here is the recipe I use:
    1 Cup yellow cornmeal
    2/3 cup White Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    3 1/2 Teaspoon Baking powder
    1 Large Egg
    1 Cup Whole Milk
    1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
    1/2 Cup Grade A Honey

Preheat the skillet and coat with bacon grease. Pour in the batter, it should sizzle a little bit when you pour it in the pan. This will give you a very nice crust on the bottom of the bread.

I bake mine at about 350 F for about 20-30 mins. I use a tooth pick to see when it is done. If the tooth pick is clean when you pull it out, the bread is done!

Comment

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems odd there's no flour. Is that correct?

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      jerrybell : There are a lot of recipe's out there for cornbread that don't use flour.

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info Sgt Tyree. My brisket took way longer than expected and sides were running late so I took a guess in the heat of moment and added about 2/3 cup flour. It still turned out well. This recipe is a bit on the sweet side for my family's taste.

I haven't had a johnnycake since I was a kid. What would you normally have with them? Egg, bacon, homefries? All three of these are great in a CI skillet. If homefries aren't too heavy try this:

Cube two or three potatoes of your choice. I use red potatoes. Make sure there is only a single layer of potatoes in the pan. You want a cubes to touch that hot CI.

Heat two or three table spoons of oil in skillet to med high. I use peanut oil.

Throw in potatoes, add salt, pepper to taste.

Turn the potatoes with a spatula until all sides are coated with oil. tCover for 5 minutes. No touchy, touchy.

Remove cover and cook for another five minutes or until all sides are browned or seared. I make sure to get as many sides of each cube browned as I can.

These are simple but are delicious. Crisp on outside, soft in the middle. Just make sure the pan is hot before putting the potatoes in.
    Last edited by Mudkat; December 14, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the recipe Mudkat I read somewhere recently that many breakfast diners keep their cube taters in the fridge right up until they throw them in the pan or on the flat top. Seems there is something about the reaction of the cold potato on the hot iron that browns and crisps those home fries up.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Pics of those on a flat top would be cool!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I honestly like seared salmon with johnnycakes. Weird combo, but is great

A frittata of your choosing!!

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
      Sgt Tyree commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never made a frittata. That sounds interesting as well as the simple I was looking for.

For sure a frittata! I do them all the time with whatever is left in the frig.

Comment

BACON! Yeah, & when you’re finished, you can cook some bacon & don’t forget the bacon.

Comment

Searing things post sous vide.

Comment

Spinaker : Here's a DO cornbread recipe lifted from a guy that was called "Papa Dutch" years ago. Have never tried this particular recipe any other way than a 12 inch DO but suppose it could be done. Makes a lot of cornbread.

1 cup melted butter
          4 eggs beaten
          3 cups milk
          2 cups sugar
          2 cups yellow cornmeal
          3 cups flour
          4 teaspoon baking powder
          1 teaspoon salt

(1 small can chopped jalapeno's is optional)

In bowl combine butter, eggs, milk, sugar, meal, flour, baking powder. Mix 1 cup at a time until well blended. Spoon into lightly greased 12 inch DO.

Bottom 8-10 coals ; Top 14-16
          45-90 minutes turning lid 1/4 turn every 10 minutes
          Watch bottom coals to prevent burning

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            I make something like that in my 9" skillet. I do add pepperjack cheese and jalapeno. Maybe a tablespoon ot two of honey. Sweet heat! I like the 9" inch cause it makes the bread rise thicker or higher in the pan. Can't wait for nake December camping trip in two weeks!

A different way to do pork butt: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKKwh0tnl...4OQGHYdmp1juUA

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Great post right here! Thank Ed!

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            The quantities seem to be missing after the garlic ingredient, or at least on what displays after I click the link. Can You notate them?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            lostclusters Thanks for catching that. I've updated the contents of the link.

Bacon fat crackling jalapeno corn bread, or grilled cheese

Comment

Jerk chicken thighs or "shrimp ala texastweeter " with bacon fat.

Comment

My son since he was 4 years old INSISTS on a pineapple upside down cake cooked in a cast iron skillet in place of a birthday cake.
            Cast iron pineapple upside down cake is a whole new level!!

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
              Sgt Tyree commented
              Editing a comment
              Cheef ; OK now, you must have a recipe for this. The doll (my wife) loves pineapple upside down cake. Care to share?

Let me get to looking. My wife does the inside cooking. I've been banned from the kitchen for years. It WASN'T my fault but I got blame anyway. (Yep--one of those deals).

Edit; She says this recipe is pretty much the same as an old Betty Crocker Cook book she uses. Pretty much exact except she doesn't use the cherries, and bakes it until it gets kind of a crust on the outside where it touches the skillet. That part gets a little chewy in a GOOD way.
            Our pineapple upside-down cake is made the traditional way in a skillet for a gorgeous golden hue, but we've simplified the recipe, using yellow cake mix topped with sunny pineapple slices.
            Last edited by Cheef; December 15, 2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
              Sgt Tyree commented
              Editing a comment
              There was a thread today on cookbooks today and thought I had them all in one place but it turns out some were scattered in other shelves. Found a book put out by Lodge called "A Skillet Full" which has a Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe for a 10 inch skillet. Recipe found, books organized, cocktail hour in 30 minutes. Perfect!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Well let us know how that turns out, Sgt Tyree !

• Sgt Tyree
              Sgt Tyree commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF : Will do. I think I need to work on my reading comprehension skills and cornbread first after the mess I made here today.

Wagyu A5 strips. Easiest skillet cook in the world!!! (not funded by me so likely one of the most expensive)

Comment

Spinaker : This didn't work out. Right now we're trying to clear the tons of smoke when the batter hit the bottom of the oven. It just boiled over and then the fun started. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	424922

Comment

• Sgt Tyree
                Sgt Tyree commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker ; On the plus side it is a tasty batter...

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I am glad you like it. I bet you'd like it a lot better if it wasn't burnt onto the bottom of your oven. :/

• Sgt Tyree
                Sgt Tyree commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker ; I'll try this again in a DO for the higher sides. Down the road. After I get an eye exam. When my wife is out of town. Just in case. Man it smells festive in here tonight!
                Last edited by Sgt Tyree; December 17, 2017, 08:53 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here