Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast iron collection is growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast iron collection is growing

i bought a new Dutch oven today. I now have about six pieces in my collection it seems to be an addiction see attached pictures. The 8 quart pot came from a yard sale. The bigger Dutch oven I found on sale today, it is an offshore pot but I could not resist . The cast iron griddle with a hole came my neighbour and he did not want anymore it came with his old gas BBQ. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	347695Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	347696Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	347697Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	347698
    Attached Files

Cast iron is great to have, but for the enthusiast, you should check out antique markets and ebay. The cast iron you find in these places is the older stuff, the 100 year old stuff. There are rare ones out there for collectors, but unless its one of very few manufacturers, they're better for cooking.

The process for making cast iron back in the day is different than it is now. Recent cast iron has a rough texture, not great for making an omelet. The old stuff has a very smooth bottom to it. it's also kinda fun to identify the cast iron through telltale marks unique to each manufacturer. I've got a #8, 10, and 14. I do own a lodge dutch oven but when I buy iron, I buy the reeeeeeal used stuff.

Happy hunting!

Comment

You got a long ways to go to catch up with Spinaker but that's a good start. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comment

Nice looking cookers! I'm sure Spinaker will be able to provide some ideas to smooth out any rough surfaces. I need to get a couple Dutch ovens and one more griddle. Got two pots downstairs that I need to polish and re-season. Have fun with it!

Comment

It's probably good stuff, but me being the smart a#รขโ€šยฌ that I am, I just might have questioned the pres-easoned quality. You may want to give it a little extra pres-easoning.

Comment

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree - Pre-seasoned is generally BS. I prefer go 5 & 5. Five rounds of Flaxseed Oil @ 500 degrees.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Medusa, there is pre-seasoned & then there is pres-easoned. Take a gander at the box.

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I saw that but didn't know what it meant. Mebbe I'll google "pres-easoning" - LOL!

Nice collection going on there... --Ed

Comment

Nice start to your collection. Trust me, it will grow!!! I probably have over a hundred pieces right now, and I am still picking new ones up all the time!

If you need any help with restoration, try this link. The Electrolysis bath is a great way to go!

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Jeepers. Seriously! That's a new level of sickness....errr... I mean enthusiasm. ๐Ÿ˜€

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              OCD - Old Castiron Disorder!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, we're all al little crazy in here brothers! HouseHomey EdF

Nice lookin' collection!
            As Spinaker said, it will grow!!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 17, 2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              How are those hooks working out for you Bones?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here