Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country style ribs in a cast iron pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country style ribs in a cast iron pot

I was not sure where to post this so I picked under cast iron, I cooked some country style pork ribs today in a sweet and sour style tomato sauce , I did them in my Akron kamado egg using hickory wood for flavour and they turned out pretty good. The sauce has 1/2 cup on brown sugar, 1/2 cup soya sauce, 1/2 cup vinegar and one 15 oz can of tomato sauce with some salt and pepper and I added a can beer. I cooked for about three hours at 300F without the lid Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	335322Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	335323 after I browned the ribs first over the grill. The first picture is at the start and second picture is at the finish. I dry brined the ribs then I added some of Meatheads Memphis dust. The finished product has a slightly smoky flavour.

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks good! These are a mainstay in my house. BBQ PitBoy special. I have probably cooked them every 6 weeks for the last 7 years and I still LOVE them!

Comment

Yes that is where I got the idea was from the BBQ pit boys. I made their version and it had too cumin to suit us.

Comment

They just posted a newer version of that recipe I recall, I haven't watched it yet. Their old version is from about 8 years ago. I don't recall it having cumin in it but possibly, but I too would have probably left that out. I have been tweeking this silly recipe for 7 years now I love these so much. Mixed with the Wife's mashed taters on the side, it is just wonderful!! Did them just a week or two ago. I'll post up my recipe of what I have done from their original video. Dang dang good! This could be a great collaboration!

Country Ribs

Butter/oil in cast iron dutch oven
          Saute 1/2 chopped onion, 2 bacon, 2 cloves garlic, 1 diced mild pepper

Add:

32 oz bottle ketchup
          12 oz beer
          1 tbs yellow mustard
          1 tbs Worcester
          1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
          1/3 cup brown sugar
          1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
          1 tsp Salt
          1 tsp tabasco
          1 TBS Rooster Sauce
          1 tsp chili powder
          .25 tsp Ancho powder
          .25 tsp Chipolte powder
          .25 tsp Smoked paprica

Simmer sauce 1/2 hour on grill

Oil, salt, and pepper 8-10 country style pork ribs

Sear ribs on grill

Add ribs to sauce pot and cook ribs in sauce for 2 hour on grill
          Sear ribs again at the end and return to sauce pot and serve!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0053.JPG Views:	2 Size:	6.50 MB ID:	335340

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            How does that ceramic coating stand up to the Grill? No Direct heat? Right.......?

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            It does pretty well! No direct heat. The new SNS LP siting behind it. I kinda burnt up the bottom of this pot years ago with all my hight temp bread baking. Now it is relegated to the pit really, but not unusable for the occasional sauce on the stove.

The BBQ Pit Boys has some great recipes and I enjoyed their YouTube videos.

Comment

I can't say the countless recipes I have tried of theirs, but only two are my mainstay. These country ribs, and the apple pie!

Comment

Them babies look like burnt ends. Looks heavenly.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                They look awesome. And I love the recipe lonnie mac
                Just knew once you saw something about CI you had to chime in Spinaker It's all good my brother

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here