Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hibachi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibachi

So I have 2 cast Iron Hibachi's and am wondering the best way to keep them seasoned ? when working with big pieces of cast iron that do not fit in the oven what techniques do people recommend.

Must be BIG Hibachis. Possibly in your smoker though...

Comment

• Amajeff99
      Amajeff99 commented
      Editing a comment
      only problem is I would have to buy a big smoker.... but I like the idea....and would love an excuse to buy a nice big smoker. but I think If I told my wife I needed to buy a grill to take care of a grill I would need to buy one big enough to sleep in.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoker or grill is also a good spot if you can get them up to the 400 F range.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Explain to her the difference in a smoker and Hibachi. Low and slow, vs hot and fast.... Gotta have both (or a Hasty Bake).... :-D

Oh, Spinaker ...
    Smoked Cast Iron...
    Yer on, Brother!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't be shy Bones! You have tons of Cast Iron knowledge!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Brother...
      I certainly have tons of Cast Iron, at least lol!!!

The best way to keep them seasoned is to oil them while they are still hot from cooking. I heat the Hibachi up, spray with oil and wipe. I cook what I need to cook and give it another spray and wipe, while its still hot.
    This should keep everything seasoned up perfectly. The seasoning will be shiny and gorgeous after only a few rounds.

The Lodge Hibachi should fit in your oven, if you take one of your oven racks out.

*I would love to see some pictures of your Hibachis!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, once everything cools, you can rinse it out with water. A plastic puddy knife also works for scrapping out the ash. You can keep most of the sides, on the inside, seasoned but the fire grate and bottom of the Hibachi is almost impossible. The fire simply burns it off every time. TheCountofQ

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. When time allows, I hit the grate, over and over again with an onion dipped repeatedly in oil, after the cooks. So it is ready for the next time. Love the smell of the onion sizzling on the grate as I flip and repeat until the onion halves disintegrate.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that smell too! That is a great idea to oil the grates. Hibachis are just awesome all around. TheCountofQ

Ahhh ... hibachi! Played a big part in convincing a very pretty lady to agree to marry me nearly 40 years ago ... (thanks, Lodge!) ...
    Last edited by MBMorgan; April 26, 2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170427_174400_hdr.jpg Views:	1 Size:	760.3 KB ID:	311338Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170427_174340_hdr.jpg Views:	1 Size:	313.3 KB ID:	311339 Couple pictures of my hibachi that I just got done seasoning . One of these days I will pull out my entire CI collection and post it I don't have a ton but I have a few pieces cast-iron .

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very cool piece. Yeah when you get the chance......we would love to see your collection.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        You cook on that?!

• Amajeff99
        Amajeff99 commented
        Editing a comment
        I sear steaks on it all the time, I have it near my kitchen. so after I cook the steak with my Joule out to the hibachi they go. easy way to a quick dinner....

I wipe my Lodge Sportsman with a kitchen towel soaked with oil.
      I don't bother with the inside, just the grate and the outside. Store it in my garage

Comment

This isn’t anything other than a FYI…
        I have much cast iron grates added to my pit…
        A line along the ground on both sides of the fire, and both sides of the meat grates…
        other than a few grease spatter spots, they are black…
        Pick one up and there’s hardly any soot to come off on your hands…
        I pressure wash them when the pit is cleaned…
        They stay black and there’s virtually no rust on them ever…
        Two pictures are included… one when I added them for heat retention…
        The other to show their current blackened/no rust state…
        Smoking cast iron is an option…
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Washblue; December 21, 2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here