Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet Virginia ... Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet Virginia ... Cast Iron

Good Morning!

Here's the link to instructions that I followed for restoring cast iron. I did 2 days of "easy-off" oven cleaner and 5 coats of flaxseed oil. Coats 1,3,4,5 done in the gasser outside I'm sure in excess of 500 degrees and coat 2 in the kitchen oven @500.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/h...omments-297091

I bought Virginia about a month ago in an antique store - priced at about 1/2 - 1/3 less that what you would get today "Made in China". Really in good shape, not bad at all. I wish I had an original picture so you could see how blackened she was from years of built on seasoning. Anyway, I decided to strip her down and start from scratch. Easy-off is motherin' amazing! Was able to wash down to bare cast iron almost 99% after the 1st day.

Flaxseed oil is apparently the Holy Grail for seasoning. CI, etc., etc. recommends it. I'm hooked and that's all I'll use going forward.

Don't know what I'm going to cook first, but I know she'll easily take 2 full chickens and stuffing, ton of fries, etc., etc...

What does it mean when a guy has names for his Cast Iron? Big Bertha's in the cabinet, Bessie's ( Lodge 12" Dutch Oven ) cooling down in the oven after a coat of Flax, Virginia's wrapped up and stored..

Happy Cooking to All!

--Ed

Results...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Virg_BA_text.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	265952
    You bet...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Virg_USA_text.jpg Views:	1 Size:	327.1 KB ID:	265953

Last edited by Medusa; January 30, 2017, 02:24 PM.

Sounds like a good find! nice restoration job there.

Comment

Nice restoration. Your gonna get '@Spinaker all excited

Comment

Looks great Medusa. I can see many uses for it just looking at it.

Comment

Reminds me of a Train song.

Comment

Looks very nice. Now, about naming your cookware...........................

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have several pans that I got from family and elsewhere. Some are used daily and others need some serious help. Will try to restore some of them with this info.

Comment

Medusa, You did a Beautful Job on Your Cast Iron Pan!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

For all of you out there who want a smooth new Lodge or other Cast Iron, there is a you tube video that looks most interesting. I do not know how to post the link, but the title of it is : Fastest & best way to smooth cast iron skillet - YouTube . Then it lists Detroit as author. Looks fantastically simple & as advertised, fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                  Nice restoration. Your gonna get Spinaker all excited
                  Yeah, let's us not do that! Them CI Heads is a different breed, indeed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	CI 001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	268332

Click image for larger version  Name:	CI 002.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	268333
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 28, 2017, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Locotech
                    Locotech commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice collection Mr. Bones

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice Spatula / Turner!

If you have access to a good sandblaster, it works great on cast iron. When I was still workin' we had a huge blaster and would redo any old cookware I would run across.

Comment

I love a good cast iron find! I have 4 different sized pans, mostly handed down to me and all of our saucepans and stock pots are enameled cast iron. They work great on our induction cooktop!!

Comment

Medusa Check out my post on striping and seasoning Cast Iron. I think you will find it interesting. Link below........
                      And send us some pictures of that find!
                      https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ctrolysis-bath
                      Last edited by Spinaker; January 30, 2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Locotech
                        Locotech commented
                        Editing a comment
                        good idea Spinaker...have used that method for cleaning old truck parts, never thought of the cast iron angle.

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh its the best for cast iron. Nothing comes close. And its so easy.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here