Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to Season…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to Season…

Folks,
    I have a question about where to season…
    I now have two spare chuckwagon lids…
    I’ve pressure washed them and dried them…
    Next comes brushing and scouring to see if I need to go further, or set in to seasoning…
    To this point, I’ve only seasoned the lower half… and not the coal side…

How do you campfire cooks treat your ovens?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Washblue; February 27, 2023, 02:51 PM.

How big is it? I season all mine in the oven, and understand that the outside isn't going to stay that purdy on the ones I use at camp.

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      They’re #10 Griswold which doesn’t correspond to inches…
      They’re 13 1/2” is diameter…
      I usually wipe a light coat of oil on the outside, but only bake the inside and not the oily side…
      I’ve assumed the coals or flame would immediately damage the seasoning on the outside…

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t know if ash will integrate with the burning seasoning and make a mess…
      I haven’t had a problem, but I know I open myself to rust on the outside in humid or rainy conditions…

I'm familiar with #10 Griswold. I season both. The bottoms and lowe legs, along with the tops where coals sit eventually lose it, but gives me something to do.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, cooking on a trivet helps

I season in my BGE if I can. The high heat and very slow cool down gives me an ironclad seasoning layer. You can always use your oven too, but things get smokey and you may not want to deal with that. Seasoning outside is perfect and the BGE helps maintain a high heat for a long time. As I mentioned before, the slow cool down is also key. With the BGE being ceramic, is takes a long time for it to totally cool, especially with all of that iron heat soaked on the inside.

I always make sure that I get the ash off the dutch when I am done cooking. Ash is corrosive and will chew away at the seasoning, so make sure to keep your dutch oven clean, especially before storing for extended periods of time.

Comment

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll season in the oven…
      And I’m going to season all surfaces of one top and give it a whirl…
      These lids had been sitting out in the elements when I found them… they’re rusty from someone not having the pot they match with…
      I’ll be removing the rust and then putting them in rotation…
      They’ll also give me lids to go to the serving table without fooling with the cooking coals…
      I’ll just swap them out and worry with ashes after we eat…

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here