Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron seasoning

I just received my second Crisbee puck. The first one lasted 2 years. What do you use to season your cast iron?

Click image for larger version

Name:	T00QkYP7rQ1lCr_dlTxJBlE61Jz0GqnXFaEnM2e8rCk7vEH0mx85WHrSpWKoRx5Bzl0M5yZ1W66s1XpLja9M_4AJd-9RELfnnntKd9c_DyXVXyM5fgLaZ8-oDMwT1GEDLy-ZpPdMN5XlgLdo-WglH_wCdG5LDckmTeOZF7FY048H006xKEMmdfko3Vs4SSz2QmeK7D2_7_eNPccvkuGlYlMkUfIAQS6bZaUPO80rPwiNaBVI2To2KBKoxPHwCVX
Views:	392
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1364625 ​​​​​​​

Ditto on the Crisbee, I also use it on my carbon steel pans as well as touching up my pizza steel.

Comment

I use Avocado Oil.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's my second choice.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I use here.

• Michael B Cayce
        Michael B Cayce commented
        Editing a comment
        I use flax seed oil

Canola oil

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I used first before moving on to flax seed oil and discovering it would become rancid and smell like fish, then I went to avocado oil, and finally Crisbee at the recommendation of Spinaker .

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Canola also, 'cause that't what I've got (well, that and olive)

I used to have cast iron skillets and dutch ovens...

I hope they're in storage because I can't find them anywhere. More importantly, my wok is in storage. I was told anyway... It better be. I received that wok as a present from my parents when I was 16 or so. They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Time to make a trip to storage.

My go to for the past few years has been Grapeseed Oil. I do have a Larbee Puck in the cabinet as well as a container of something similar that Smithey sent with the farmhouse carbon skillet my wife got me from them.

I think I’ve gone towards the Grapeseed Oil based on what I’ve read on Seriouseats.com. At least I think that is the site that moved me in this direction.

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I use...

I use Flax Seed Oil

Comment

• mrichie1229
        mrichie1229 commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the Pit!

Cannabis oil. Seasons the pan and fries brain cells.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone's on a roll (with edibles) today!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike roll a spliff is more like it

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Why didn't *I* think of that...

<Don Rickles voice> “What are you looking at?”

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Kelly's Heroes. Great fun movie that was overshadowed by Patton

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        +2 on Kelly's Heroes and Don Rickles

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the greatest comedians of all time. There will only be one Don Rickles. His roast of Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra is unmatched. Of course, anytime he was on Johnny Carson too! He also had a great heart, and you know all his jokes came from a place of love and admiration. What a legend of comedy.

Also, for movies, I first learned of him in the 1997 release of "Dirty Work" with Norm McDonald. Loved him ever since.

STP

Comment

Originally posted by RichieB View Post
        STP
        STP?

texastweeter I don't think vasoline is a great choice for your cast iron seasoning.

Last edited by Attjack; January 20, 2023, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Flys in the Vaseline

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! This is exactly where I went with STP!

I have come up with my own mixture that works well. Spinaker got me interested in CI a few years ago. I’m afraid the CI bug has bitten me hard. The antique malls, junk stores, and garage sales in my area are rich hunting grounds for good CI. For the last 3 years I’ve had an electrolysis vat, a lye vat, and a dedicated oven for seasoning in my shop. What I guess I’m trying to say is that between my collection and what I do for others I do a lot of CI. My mixture is 3/4 filtered, very used fryer oil (from a well know source of fried chicken) and 1/4 flaxseed oil. The used oil has had much of the volatiles driven off by heat and has a much higher carbon content than new oil. The used oil gives me a tough, high carbon coating and the flaxseed oil gives me the deep dark black color I like.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          You, Sir, are The Man.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, if you are going to geek out about something very specific, this is a wonderful and amazing thing to geek out about. I remove my hat and bow to you, floridly!

Had never heard of this product. Perhaps I should give it a try as I am delving deep into the cast and even building a dedicated pit for it.

Comment

Bacon grease

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack are you accusing me of not having a can of bacon grease around at all times?!?! How dare you

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter I'm giving you a suggestion that would bring more bacon into you life.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            You are forgiven my child Attjack

Just ordered my Crisbee Puck. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I grab the puck with a paper towel and smear it across the hot pan. You don't need a lot. Then the puck goes back in the tin and I use the towel to spread the oil all over the pan.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here