Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron On Cast Iron Cooking…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron On Cast Iron Cooking…

A new addition to the Barbecue Pit area this spring will be a refurbished Heart 20 Wood Stove made by the Martin Stove and Range Stove Co., in Florence, Alabama, from 1905 to 1923.
    My Dad refurbished it about 1980 and I recently pulled it from his barn and cleaned the cobwebs from it…
    I used a bottle of period era stove black to make it look right again…
    On a shelf in his barn was an unopened bottle of Black Silk Stove Polish, made by the J. L. Prescott Co. that was in business from 1910 to 1030…
    I hated using an antique bottle of goods, but it was fitting to do so…
    Griswold skillets and cowboy coffee pots had better look out!
    Attached Files

They also made black iron cookware. Not to be confused with BSR though. Awesome addition, gotta admit, a bit jealous.

Comment

That is a beautiful stove. I can just imagine sitting around that with a warm drink or two.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        It’ll definitely make the winter cooks nicer sitting between it and the pit…
        I'm looking forward to it…

That is way cool! In college I rented an old farmhouse and used a repro 1840s parlor stove for heat - stove was made in the 1970s or 1980s I think, I still have it. I cooked several meals and coffee on it since it was hot anyway. I tore it apart and refurbished it my last year in college: I sealed the seams with stove cement, replaced the mica window, and I replaced all screws with stainless screws. It now sits in my living room as an accent piece; one day I'll install one of those lights that looks like a fire burning.
      Last edited by 58limited; March 16, 2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        The way energy prices are going, it may get put back to work too!

I yearn for a wood stove like that for heating. But that will have to be in my next house!

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        I have long said, "The things we’ll need to make a living with tomorrow are for sale in an antique store today."

But the cost of energy may have people snapping up the old stoves!

That is a gem! Can’t wait to see it at work.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        So far I’ve only boiled a pot of coffee, but that’ll change soon…

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Percolator or cowboy pot?

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        I cheat, texastweeter, I have the old stainless Revereware percolator my grandmother used, I also have two enameled campfire pots my dear friend Courtney sent me from Canyon Lakes, Texas… One of which has the percolator inserts…
        I’ll be using all three…
        Last edited by Washblue; March 20, 2022, 11:45 AM.

Duuuuude. You kidding me? That thing is awesome. I can't wait to see you fire this up.

It is in great shape....no cracks and the edges still look great. Looking forward to seeing the Griz skillets on this old girl.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Dad found it near an old home place near Waycross, Georgia, and put it in a bonfire to clean the rust away… it had a broken leg and a couple minor pieces missing…
        He contacted the company and described it…. It’s called a Heart 20… AND THEY HAD PARTS!
        He used it in his home office as a heater… I’m happy to put it back to work…

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, that is crazy that they still were around, for one, and second that they had parts. Washblue

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        Dad recognized it was worth trying to save, so after burning it off, found the company name…
        He wrote the chamber of commerce, who responded and put him in touch with the company that had bought them out…
        It was amazing they had the parts!
        It paid off, now I’ve got to keep them intact…because parts might not be available now… Spinaker
        Last edited by Washblue; March 20, 2022, 11:46 AM.

So do you have this setup outdoors? Do you have a flue on it for a proper draft? Just trying to picture it.

My dad's mother lived her life in a house in Erwin TN that had a wood burning stove. I think she had that until she died in the early 1980's. That's the last one I actually saw in use in a house.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        The first fire I built outside, I used a section of straight pipe to see how the smoke would blow…
        I used the entrance air valve to regulate the input air to stop the rocket stove effect…
        But I also have a 2’ section with a damper to install…
        The stovepipe is tight and will be freestanding…

I'd like to see a couple more pictures of it.

Comment

• Washblue
        Washblue commented
        Editing a comment
        More are being posted below…
        It’s just an old school, small wood stove, that happens to be 100 years old or more…

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing and I too would be interested in more pictures.

Comment

Dad found it buried in the dump site of an old homestead in rural Ware County, Georgia…
        Speaks wonders for old cast iron…
        Attached Files

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          Re-thank you, @fireman…
          Last edited by Washblue; April 2, 2022, 11:34 AM.

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Just beautiful. Curious, how airtight is she? The vent on the front give you good control or will you have to damper the flue too?

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          RustyHaines, there are no gaskets…. The front door might tighten up if I replace the hinge pins... So it’s not air tight…
          Wood usage is not bad… I have a damper in the short pipe length in case it’s needed… This is the first wood stove I’ve run outside… so I’ll know more about good cooking heat later this spring…. I plan on using a rectangular griddle, skillet, Dutch Oven, bean pot & coffee pot…
          Dad used it to heat his office in Waycross, so heat output is nice… but that was back in the 1980’s

Beautiful!!!!

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m proud of it…. Thank you…

Thanks! Looks great!

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks…

That is a real beauty!

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate that… Thank you…

Oh snap!

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          A little elbow grease was used… but well worth it!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here