Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering the grillgrate griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering the grillgrate griddle

I’m considering the grillgrate griddle, but wondered if it it makes good smashbugers and such. Mainly, I’m curious if the aluminum allows for the same crust formation as cast iron or carbon steel. I also am curious if one would recommend just getting the regular grates and flipping them over on the flat side instead. I would love to hear about any experiences or suggestions you all might have. Note, I don’t have room for a stand alone griddle so that’s why I want to use something for my Weber Summit gasser. Lastly, the lack of grease mgmt. is a little concerning with the grillgrate griddle. Appreciate any input or suggestions.
    Last edited by Mark-B; November 1, 2020, 09:07 AM.

I use my grillgrates turned upside down for smashburgers. I think they come out grate! (You see what I did there? 😁😝)
    Last edited by Dewesq55; November 2, 2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hah, yup. Gotcha. How’s the crust? As good as cast iron or such?

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think so, but it's a personal thing, no? The grates get very hot, which to me is the key to a good crust.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; November 2, 2020, 10:23 AM.

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      I just tried my new grillgrates for my Weber Summit silver. I wasn’t sure if I’d get a nice crust with it, but pleasantly surprised! The crust formation was, well, "grate"! I’ll be keeping these and maybe adding more to fill out the entire grill. Still debating the griddle or just more grates. Had a lot of fun with this accessory.

I love my custom sized Grill Grates for my Summit S650 gasser. Use them all the time. Flip them for searing off meats and for smash burgers. Best way to control flareups, which are a thing of the past with GGs.

I've also got 2 GG griddle sections. I like them because I can clean them just like my cookware, as opposed to wondering what's on the Grill Grates, even though I clean them well after each cook by letting the Summit burn off whatever is stuck to them.

With GGs or the GG griddle, my searing temps get up to the 700-800° range.

Finally, for the true griddle experience and the ability to make, for example, fried rice, etc, I purchased the Steelmade griddle and drip tray that fits my Summit. There's a good topic on that here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lmade-flat-top

I like the Steelmade a lot because the heat distribution is pretty uniform and because most of the splatters from the griddle are contained in the gasser as opposed to, say, a Blackstone without a backsplash, where the splatters would go onto my deck.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 2, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I have 2 of the Grillgrate Griddle panels, as well as a couple of grills outfitted with full sets of Grillgrates. I've done smash-burgers on both the flat side of Grillgrates, and on the Grillgrate Griddle panels.

My verdict is that for BURGERS, if you already have Grillgrates, use the flat side. I noticed little difference in the griddle panels for smash burgers. In fact, what I found was that due to grease accumulation (no holes for it to fall through), the crust on the burgers didn't come out as well as when doing the smashburgers on the flat of the Grillgrates themselves. There was just too much puddled grease, and the burgers started floating in it, and didn't get a good crust on the flip. You might think the oblong holes are an issue for Smashburgers, but I never found it to be an issue. With the griddle panels, I found myself using the spatula to push grease off the back edge, to let it run down into the Weber's grease management system.

Where the griddle panels are good in my opinion is if you want to:

- Griddle cook something runny, like eggs or pancake
      - Stir fry. Hard to do fried rice with the rice falling through the holes!

Just be aware that there is a raised seam where you connect 2 of the griddle sections together - effectively it makes each 9 inch section a little griddle of its own, as far as cooking runny foods anyway.

I now do all my smash burgers on my Camp Chef flat top, and find that the seasoned cold rolled steel top does a great job, so I've been leaving all my Grillgrates rail side up lately. In fact, I've not given the gas grill much love since the griddle got here...

Comment

Oh - on grease management - if gridding burgers, you won't be cooking at 700-800 degrees like Kathryn mentions for searing. If I preheat, then turn my Weber Genesis II down to medium or medium-low heat (maintaining 350-400). Burgers won't cause much issue with grease fires and any grease gets through the Weber and into the grease pan just fine.

Where I have had a grease fire was when doing several pounds of bacon or pork belly. I've found the secret is to turn the burners down to medium-low after preheating, if cooking something super greasy. This allows the grease to make it through the Weber grease collection system without igniting. On high heat - bacon grease ignites when it hits the flavorizer bars, and you can end up with a grease fire under the grate.... ask me how I know, and why I now keep a fire extinguisher by the grills!

I routinely cook 3-4 pounds of bacon on my Weber Genesis II, with the flat side of grillgrates, and if I keep it to medium-low heat (350-ish), the grease management is not an issue.
        Last edited by jfmorris; November 2, 2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Pays to check a few pages back when you're looking for what others have experienced. Someone around here has probably had experience with what you are researching. In this case my thanks go to @fzxdoc & @jfmorris. I bought a griddle earlier this year, and have used it quite a bit, but it got brought over to our lake house, and I miss it when we aren't here. All I have there is my Grid Iron pellet smoker and 2016 Weber Genesis E-310. Right now I have a set of Grill Grates I bought to use with a Smokey Joe, that also work in the OG, but are now residing on one side of the Weber gasser. I've been using them flipped over flat side up. I decided that a full set of Grill Grates for the Weber would solve my "griddle" problem for the time being, at least until I find a good deal on another flattop, or it's summer again, whichever comes first.

My question was whether to get the full set of GG made for the Weber, or to mix up the standard GG with some griddle panels. I think @jfmorris has convinced me to go for the full set of regular GG, and not bother with the griddle panels. I'm probably not going to actually order them for a few days, because I'm trying to time delivery for when I'll actually be there. So if someone wants to tell me I'm making a big mistake, here's your chance.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Sadly, in the email I got, at the time the sale started, they had 120 of the 19.25" panels your 2016 Genesis needs (you need 5). They all sold out quick apparently.

I would join the Grillgrate mailing list if you want notification of the factory seconds sales. They don't publish it on the site - you have to have the link from the email they send out. I bought some seconds in the past as gifts to the kids or my dad, to use as surface sets.

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to sign up again. I used to get their emails, but I haven't lately. I'll make sure I'm on the list.

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            By signing up for emails I received a code for a 10% discount. So that almost covered the shipping. Thought about waiting for another sale, but decided go just get them. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here