Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless Steel Grates vs Ceramic Grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Steel Grates vs Ceramic Grates

Which is better? Why?

I own a Primo Oval XL which came with ceramic grates. I've used them for over 3 years now with no issues. New Primo's now come with stainless steel grates. I'm trying to determine if this is an upgrade or just a cost save for Primo.

I'm assuming you mean ceramic coated cast iron?

Take a look at Meathead's articles on grill grates here:

Which grill grate is best: stainless steel, cast iron, enamel coated, plated wire, or cast aluminum? The answer may surprise you. This definitive guide explains which grill grates are the most durable, deliver the most heat, and are the easiest to clean and maintain in your grill.

and here regarding stainless grates:
    Stainless steel grill grates can be made from thin or thick rods, but I prefer the thin ones that allow more radiant heat through, especially for charcoal grills. The problem with thick rods is that they block radiant heat and make large dark grill marks.

So the consensus is that stainless is an upgrade. That being said, I've had a Weber Q220 for ten years that came with a cast iron grate.This is a portable grill that I keep in my camper, so it gets used sporadically and sits for while in between uses. There's little to no rust on it and the grill still performs better than any other portable that I'm aware of. If my cast iron grate needs to be replaced I will try to source a stainless steel replacement, but I don't lose any sleep over it now because it works fine.

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      that's interesting, i have a Q300 and i've had to replace my grates 4 times because they kept disintegrating with rust. my last grates were stainless and i couldn't be happier

• jdsmith
      jdsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, how old is your Q300?

I think I’m in the minority, but I like my porcelain coated grates on my XL. I do consider SS grates an upgrade, but am not going to replace my current ones until the OG crap out on me.

Comment

Can't speak to Primo, but years ago when my Weber gassers porcelain grates started to crack and rust I swapped them with SS.

Much better!

Comment

I have ceramic grates on my Primo XL and would rather have stainless no doubt. They are easier to clean and my ceramic grates are warped a little now from high heat.
        Last edited by Attjack; September 1, 2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here