Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utensil upgrades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utensil upgrades.

Does anybody have an idea to upgrade the coating on the handles of the grill grate utensils so that they could be waxed in the dishwasher? My wife put my tongs in the dishwasher and whatever they are coated with is beginning to peel off.

Welcome to The Pit. I don't know of any finish on wood that will withstand being washed in a dishwasher. A lot of knife makers use Tru-Oil on wood handles. It's the same thing used on many gun stocks and can get wet without damage, but I wouldn't let it soak in water.

Comment

I don't have experience with Grill Grate utensils, but I assume these are wood handles you want to apply a finish to. I did a quick check on a few woodworking websites and the consensus seems to be that there isn't a finish that will hold up to the dishwasher. I think you need to plan to reapply a finish frequently or leave them out of the dishwasher.

Comment

I didn’t think there was anything, but you never know. What’s there now is some stain and a some sort of clear coat that’s flaking off. For the time being I’m going to take that off and add some sort of oil finish, and down the road I’ll rebuild them with some more appropriate handles.

Comment

No problem. Sand off all the old finish, and I mean get rid of all of it. Then coat the handle with mineral oil. Keep coating until it will not soak up any more. Most important don't put wood utensils in the dishwasher. LOL But if you do by mistake doing this will just require a coat or two of mineral oil and they are as good as new.

Comment

^^^Yup^^^ +1, an keep it outta th dish machine

OOOO steel wool, first mineral oil, or Tru Oil repeat until it quits absorbin, wipe off any excess.
            Reappy mineral oil, as needed, after hand washin...
            Poof! Bob's yer Uncle.

Comment

if you are ok with it not being a wood finish then i would consider some kind of rubber dip, may not be what you are looking for though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here