Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remove Grillgrates before lighting a gas grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you remove Grillgrates before lighting a gas grill?

Leaving the lid down while lighting a gas grill is a no-no. If you have Grillgrates covering your entire grill surface would this be equivalent? I haven't found any discussion on this.

I just fire it up.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I lift the GG sections slightly to peek underneath make sure that each burner has lit as I turn each ignition knob. Once I see the line of blue flame, I set the sections back down and continue on with the cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Just watch yer eyebrows & mustache! 🕶

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, my mustache catching on fire is always a concern, FireMan .

Kathryn

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        All due respect ma’am ( fzxdoc ), I hereby do apologize fer not properly referin to you ladies.

I have not seen any hint of trouble when lighting my gasser with the GrillGrates on. There's a decent sized gap between the edges of the GGs and the sides of the grill as well as the holes in the GGs. If the GGs sealed the grilling surface pretty tight, then I'd get concerned, but they don't.

Comment

Thanks to all of you! It is appreciated.

Comment

I have two Weber Genesis grills with full replacement sets of Grillgrates. Its tight with no gap on the 2002 Genesis Silver A 2 burner, the 4 burner Genesis II E-410 has about an inch gap to each side. I light both just like I did with the stock Weber grates. The Grillgrates are not solid - they have holes. Just open the lid, turn on ONE burner, ignite, then turn on the rest of the burners, depending on your grill of course.

Comment

I always light mine with the grates removed, then I add them.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I do that with my Santa Maria. It is so I can manage the fire. I have a new gasser that I really haven’t been using. I was thinking of getting GrillGrates for I but don’t know if I want to plunk money into something I’m already not using. What is the reason you start without them?
              Last edited by tbob4; December 16, 2019, 05:55 PM.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I find that the gas builds up before lighting. I had them pop up one time when I lit the grill after letting the gas run a little to long. I usually have them off anyway, because I clean them in-between cooks. tbob4

Oh come on...explosions caused by grill grates? Well I've never had issues.....expect for....well there was that one time......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here