Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grillgrates great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grillgrates great?

I'm considering Grillgrates for my gas grill. I'd like to hear from others that use them. Do you take them off for indirect cooking? Worth the investment?

Hugh
    Weber Genesis II 310, iGrill2, Thermapen Mk4

Yes they work really well. Use on half the grill, one burner on beneath them, slow cook on the cold side and then reverse sear on the grates.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly how I use them on the gasser.πŸ‘

Thanks for the info.

Two more things I'm curious about...

I've read they make the grill run hotter. I would like to be able to indirect grill at 325 with only one burner as well. Do you think having a Grillgrate on one side only would make much of a difference in increasing the heat range for indirect cooking? I haven't been able to hit 325 with only one burner.

Also, do you just set the Grillgrate on top of your existing grate or do you replace them entirely and then flip/adjust as needed?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hugh, I think You will have to play with your Temp Settings and a Good Leave In Thermometer to find the 325 F Sweet Spot!
      The Grill Grates Definately are Hotter! We usually cook indirect with the 2 Inside Burners Off!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you are going to need 2 burners on to get 325Β°. On top of the regular grate or replace the regular grates?... your choice! I use my GG's on the gasser often so I replaced the standard grates, on 1 side.

Hugh, I Aquired a Used Char-Broil 4 Burner Commercial Gas Grill from a Lady who's husband passed away several Years Ago and no one was using it! I Cleaned it up a little and Purchased a full Set (5 X 18") of Grill Grates for It! It's Very Hot, My Wife Really Likes It! The other day she Reverse Seared Some Bacon Wrapped Copped Sirloin Burgers and did a Passable Good Job! Don't Tell Her I Said So!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	336692Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	336693Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	336694

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	336702Click image for larger version

Views:	221
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	336703Click image for larger version

Views:	224
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	336704
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 23, 2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Our secret.

The best change I made to my gas grill. I never take them off, just flip them over when I want a griddle. They do get a lot hotter, so I have found that once they heat up (which doesn't take long) I can turn the gas down.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to get a set of Grillgrate's and play around with them.

Can't wait.

Comment

Best investment...never need to replace them...work great!

Comment

I have a two panel. It sits on top of my grates on my Genesis 330. I mostly use it as a griddle, and it works incredibly for Warp 10 cooking. I remove it for 225* cooks. I think I'd leave it on for 325* cooks as it might help run that a bit more efficiently. My grill won't hold 225* with the GGs on.

I might get a third panel. I'm not gonna go full replacement.

Comment

Do you find the Grillgrates sear as well as an external air setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
              I have a two panel. It sits on top of my grates on my Genesis 330. I mostly use it as a griddle, and it works incredibly for Warp 10 cooking. I remove it for 225* cooks. I think I'd leave it on for 325* cooks as it might help run that a bit more efficiently. My grill won't hold 225* with the GGs on.

I might get a third panel. I'm not gonna go full replacement.
              I'm trying to figure out this thermometer thing with the grill grates. When I leave the lid open, with the burner on underneath the GG, my temp was reading ~210 (using Thermoworks Smoke clipped to the GG). When I would close the lid, it would go above 400. I have a feeling that the GG were hotter than 210...

Is the thermometer not able to get a true reading of the temp of the GG with the lid open? Trying to figure this out before trying a low and slow food!

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                That is because a thermometer like Smoke is supposed to read ambient air temp. So when grill is open then yes the air temp drops. When grill is closed the contained air heats up. If you want surface temp then you need an infrared thermometer.

• theroc
                theroc commented
                Editing a comment
                Try using a laser thermometer to get a better reading for the grill grates. I have three panels that I use on my Weber Summit.
                With three rows of burners on, the laser thermometer reads ~600 F.

So when Meathead says get the grill to 225, that means with the lid closed, right? Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, lid closed

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                With the lid open it's a grill. With the lid closed, it's an oven.πŸ‘

GrillGrates on the gasser...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Breadhead, Gorgeous Cook Station Bread! Keep working on Your Beard, You'll Qualify to be a Brother of The Brush in No TimeΓ’Ββ€œ πŸ€—πŸ˜‡πŸ€—
                From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I grew the beard to look more like Meathead... my brother from another mother.πŸ˜†

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here