Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New LP Gas Grill: Steel grates or cast iron - ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New LP Gas Grill: Steel grates or cast iron - ?

Which would (did) you choose and why, please?

(I did read Mr. Goldwyn's and Mr. Good's articles on grates; but I'd rather not spend $700-$800+ on a nice 500-600 Sq. In. grill with high quality cast iron or stainless steel grates - and then spend $200 on Grill Grates for it. *OR* Is there a lower-priced grill with high-quality burners, cookbox, etc. , for which I would replace the grills with GGs?)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS!
    JC 'Wildman'

Personally... I would not buy Cast Iron grates. Keeping CI grates from rusting when you keep them outdoors is way to much work. I think GG's are uniquely different than any other grate on the market. They will do things no other grate is capable of. I like having Stainless Steel grates and GrillGrates to use on each cooker I have.

Welcome to the Pit too (Wildman) ...👍

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume not Grill Grates for the charcoal cookers?

I made what I now consider the mistake of getting CI for the BGE. Now that they've been working for 5 years, I think it's going to become stainless in the not too distant future.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF ... I bought the custom fit GrillGrates for my large BGE. I use them more in my 26" Weber kettle than I do in the BGE. I use both sides of the GG's frequently. The SnS with the flat side up will give you fantastic searing for burgers and steaks. Ridge side up for fish.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      You're confusing me, Boss. Grill Grates for the egg? Works well? Where did SnS come from? You don't use that with the egg - or did you pull a context switch to the Weber?

I would go with stainless and add grill grates as/when you can afford them. The cast iron will rust easily and I find it sticks a bit more unless you oil regularly.

Comment

I am a cast iron nut, but I would recommend steel grates. I have cast iron grate on my KEG. Are they hard to take care of? Not really, but they are more work then regular grates. If your buying GG's anyway, then get the cheapest grates possible, because what they are made of doesn't really matter................

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        You heard it here from the CI god!

• (Wildman)
        (Wildman) commented
        Editing a comment
        My Weber Genesis cast iron grates never rusted, and I rarely re-seasoned them; only burned off the last meal then scraped them with a grill brush.
        However, I do read many Reviews for other manufacturers' grills that mention - and photograph - rusted C.I. grates...!

I personally would go with stainless and try the grill. Some are better than others on flare ups. If you like the SS and the way the grill works, you can just buy enough grill grates to do a section of your new grill (probably a 2 pack of grill grates with the spatula).

I have stainless and like the way they work with my grill. I bought the griddle grate to have as a replacement for one of my ss grates when I want to cook on a griddle. The anodized aluminum is spreads the heat well and is easy to clean. It is a lot more affordable than some of the stainless griddles you can buy for the grill, and doesn't move around.

Comment

Check the reviews on gas grills before purchasing. Max does some great work checking them out and posting information on the better ones to buy.

Comment

• (Wildman)
          (Wildman) commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, the reviews are Great information!

If I were in your shoes and know what I know now I would go with a cheaper grill and add the grill grates. I cooked on my Weber Genesis for about a year before getting a set of grill grates and wished I had purchased them sooner. They are that good. However, if you can invest a little more money the Genesis is a wonderful product and I have no regrets spending the additional $ for it. Weber makes a quality product that will last for years and their customer service has been first class. Good luck!

Comment

• (Wildman)
          (Wildman) commented
          Editing a comment
          For the SS grates, for me, it'd be the Genesis II 4-burner($949) or Broil King Sovereign/Regal ($750-$800). The challenge with the idea of getting a cheaper grill and sticking GG's on them is that the grills will have cheaper parts and be more prone to rusting and mal-functioning.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here