Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GrillGrates warped after several years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrillGrates warped after several years

Anyone else experience this warping? I've had these GGs for ~5 years and I use my grill a couple times per week. I'm surprised to see they warped so much over time. I often put a 12" Lodge cast iron directly on the grates, possibly the extra weight contributed to this?

Anyway, swapped back to the factory SS grates for now, my old hand down Weber Genesis Silver B is still going!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231214_145549518.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1525701 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231214_145722920.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1525702 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231214_145751157.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1525703

Looks like its time for some new Grill Grates

Comment

I’ve had this happen but I attributed it to too much heat. I did find them pretty easy to bend back but the structural integrity feels like it has changed.

Comment

• Le Grill
        Le Grill commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried putting them upside down on the grill while on warp 10 heat with a heavy cast iron pan on top, doesn't seem to want to bend back to flat for me

• PNWBrandon
        PNWBrandon commented
        Editing a comment
        Le Grill oh wow! Maybe try a towel and some vice grips? Maybe a rubber mallet and towel?

Weird. I replaced the OEM grates on my Genny B with GrillGrates at least 5 years ago and use the grill a lot, and they haven't warped. I didn't think that the old girl can get hot enough to warp them, which is one of the reasons that I got 'em.

I have the half moon set for one of my kettles that do get blazing hot, but they haven't warped yet. I do, however, take the precaution of rotating the grate away from the heat afterwards on the kettle.

I think that the combo of heat and the CI pan contributed to this.

Comment

A quick look at GrillGrate.com's FAQ says this about putting a pan on top of their grates:

"We do not recommend you put anything on your GrillGrates other than food or our GrateGriddle. Heat can potentially become trapped and damage the GrillGrates."

I presume from this that they can and do warp if they get too hot.

Comment

• Le Grill
          Le Grill commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for pointing that out, makes sense.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here