Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Grill Grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Grill Grates

Is it just me, or are these things not the easiest to clean? I've got them on my Weber gasser, and have grilled burgers half a dozen times. The valleys between the grates are full of nasty drippings which are untouched by the GG grate brush I purchased. A paper towel helps, but they're still pretty dirty.

Am I missing something? I know people rave about these things, but there's gotta be an efficient way to keep them clean between cooks, right?

I use 'The Ringer' to clean my grill grates. Works great. And I don't worry about getting the valleys spotlessly clean. The food only touches the tops of the grate bars. Clean off the tops of the grates, knock down the crud in the valleys to a dull roar, good to go.

I'm sure there will be someone along shortly with a different opinion.

Comment

• vtkess02
      vtkess02 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. Maybe "clean enough" is clean enough. Thanks.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe so. The grill gets hot, which cleans it by heat. Stuff in the valleys gets cooked. Ringer knocks most of it off.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      SWMBO, actually likes cleaning and does a great.
      I use the tool that came with the grill grates for the major crud.

I know what you are talking about and use to power wash them all the time. However for years now I have used them reversed, with the flat side up for 95% of my cooking and the top cleans up easily with a wet rag run over them when hot.

Comment

I think the hardest part is at the joint of them where they slide into each other. I usually will crank up the heat and let any moist crud burn up. Then I use a small putty knife to ream out the tracks. I will then vacuum up with my bucket head vacuum. Works like a charm.

Comment

Just scrape down those suckers where the food contacts and let the heat do it's magic I reckon.
        It's not like you're eating burnt bits

Comment

I used to really work at getting the crud out of the valleys of my GGs, mostly using the delivered GG tool. Did that by turning it so that it basically was a like using a scraper. Nowadays, I mostly cook with the flat side up. I did not find that using high heat to "burn off" the stuff with the GGs flipped to the flat side up really did that well, but it does help.

After a few months of heavy use, I put the GGs in a plastic tub with Simple Green. Let them soak for a bunch of hours, and find that a scrubby gets that pretty clean.

Comment

I'm another who likes to use my GGs flat side up. While we're eating dinner I turn all burners on high and let the grates ash up for 20-25 minutes, then I hit them with aluminum foil. It cleans nearly everything off. When cool, I wipe down with a wet multipurpose paper towel, which doesn't shred as easily as regular kitchen paper towels, at least for the Viva brand I use.

I still find that even after careful wiping down, some ash still resides in the cracks between the grate sections. Last time I grilled chicken thighs, the thighs picked up stripes of that ash as they cooked. Grrrrr. That's why I prefer using Grill Grate Griddles which I can take and wash in the sink after use, then store them in the cabinet until the next gasser cook. I know those suckers are clean.

When I do use the grate side up on the GGs, (like for BBQ chicken that I don't want to burn all over, just get some charred stripes on), they clean up pretty well with aluminum foil shaped to fit into each channel. I do the same deal--let them get super hot to ash up the leavings for 20-25 minutes while we eat dinner then attack them after dinner with the aluminum foil while still hot. I protect my hands and arms with Kevlar gloves (rated at 900° direct contact and 1200° indirect contact) and kevlar sleeves from Northern Safety:

Click image for larger version  Name:	229073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	1071193Click image for larger version  Name:	229069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	1071194

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; August 2, 2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I need that Kevlar sleeve for when I use my Vortex. At some point during a cook, I always forget to not reach over the blazing hot middle of the grill. I had my latest arm hair removal session just yesterday evening.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
          Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
          Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
          Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them