Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken wings Sous Vide Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an interesting article about different options to sear your sous vide cooks... Interesting. I'm pretty sure what option most on AR are going to use but if your away from your grill these will work too.

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...1&e=2c8334eed1

Comment

• freddh
      freddh commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, interesting choices. I guess I'll have to try the options I haven't used.

I finally took the plunge and began my adventure with sous vide. I have to admit that there is certainly a learning curve here. I thought I'd do a steak with sous vide but, I really didn't want to ruin a $30 piece of meat. I opted for wings instead. I should of known to look in here to see what you guys were doing, but I opted to go it alone.

I experimented with various times and temps. 150 for two hours just wasn't enough. Two and a half hours wasn't enough either. Then it hit me.... temp is key her and not so much time. The nice thing about sous vide is that there is plenty of time to be had... to a certain point, of course. 160 was ok but, still a bit pink inside for some people. I was ok with it but I do have picky eaters. 170 for two hours or more was the sweet spot. Meat was tender and juicy. I finished them off in a 400 degree fry. Perfectly crispy! I cooked these in batches. I totally forgot one batch and left it in the water bath for almost four hours. Amazingly, nothing really changed from the previous batch that was cooked for two hours. They were just as tender and juicy.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, the recipe did call for 170

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cooks! You don't need water in the Slow 'N Sear when you're searing meat.

What I've found to be true for me is to treat all of my works as "a work in progress". Reading and learning is the key. I've had my SV units for better than six months and I'm still learning. Your recipe for wings works for the aforementioned Tri tip, chops and ham to near perfection-except the grill marks. Instead of finishing on the grill the same day, I chilled the meat overnight because I'm in Seattle and have to grill between the rain drops. Anyway I put the chilled meat on the cool side and smoked with a kiawe chunk for about 30-40 minutes carefully monitoring the temp of the meat. When ready I cranked up the fire and browned a bit more. I had one of the chops yesterday and needless to say, it was superb! I gave a sample of the ham to a friend and he had some for a sammy and texted that that I again had "stepped in it" (a compliment). So it's definitely a learning experience. BTW the SV recipe for the wings also worked for a leg of lamb roast two days before. I'm so glad I'm here and Meadhead,s video with ChefSteps was right on.

Comment

For times & temps my first source is Modernist Cuisine (the "little" version, not the 5-volume set:-). Pricey, but has a ton of good info. For wings, it gives 149F for 1 hour, or 144F for 12 hours (followed by searing to brown skin). However, I've never tried wings in a thermal bath myself. I've sv'ed thighs, and they were fine, but to be honest I like the result from thighs in a cast iron skillet & then oven, so I don't bother with sv for them. I have also used sv as a way to cook breasts so they're ready for chicken salad, which does work very well.

-- David

Comment

Pit Boss you're right about the water in the SnS. The water was the result of keeping the temp down while smoking and bringing the temp of the meat up slowly. I was concerned because of the thickness of the meat. Maybe I didn't need to worry. Next time I'll give it a shot without the water. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by freddh View Post
        Pit Boss you're right about the water in the SnS. The water was the result of keeping the temp down while smoking and bringing the temp of the meat up slowly. I was concerned because of the thickness of the meat. Maybe I didn't need to worry. Next time I'll give it a shot without the water. Thanks.

You bet. I really think you'll prefer the no water approach for that type of cook. Or try much less water if you want a quick blast of steam at the beginning of the cook.

Comment

freddh FWIW I've tried hot cooks with water in the res and got crispy chicken skin. I've gone completely empty on the water res and got crispy chicken skin. Therefore since both methods can produce the same end results, water in this case is a moot point IMO. The easiest thing is to not bother with it.

Comment

The cook is on...😎

I'm doing it the way Ernest suggested Sous Vide at 131° for 3 hours and then I'll put it in the fridge for 10 minutes before I sear it on the 26" Weber Kettle & the SnS.

Go Cardinals...😆

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Breadhead Sunday delivery?

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes on Sunday delivery... It surprised me too.

• David C
              David C commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee Breadhead, Amazon has been snagging USPS capacity for Sunday delivery in a growing number of cities. Mostly part-time employees of USPS do the deliveries, so they may or may not be in uniform (and it doesn't mean your carrier has to work 7 days a week:-) It's always pretty cool when it happens, although it is also only for some products, so it is pretty hit or miss.

For chicken, has anyone tried the SV -> dry -> sear method? I'm after the crispy skin, especially on breasts. Not sure about the drying. Wrap in a paper towel, and leave in fridge for a day? I'm going to experiment with that, let you know how it comes out. Any suggestions welcome. I've done 143F for 3 hours, and the white meat is just perfect. But I've had a lot of trouble crisping the skin afterwards.

Comment

asic_cliff ...

I've tried it and like you, having the meat almost done before putting it on the grill you end up with over done meat or spongy skin.

I'm sticking with wings on the grill at 325° to 350° period.

Comment

Welcome asic_cliff! We're glad you're here. I can't speak to breast, but you should try my chicken wing technique. It yields scrumptuously crispy skin. Uh, did I just make a word up?

Comment

Welcome asic_cliff

Comment

David Parrish I'm wanting to try your recipe here but I'm on a time constraint. I have two options. 1, put them in the bath at 7:30am and take them out and grill them at 5:30 or 2, SV, ice bath, and dry in the fridge the night before then take out of the fridge and grill at 5:30. With 1, I'm worried about too long in the bath. With 2, I'm worried about cold meat going on the SnS resulting in crispy skin but cold meat. Thoughts anyone?

Comment

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What is the time difference between when you get home and when you want to serve?

• LangInGibsonia
                      LangInGibsonia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Home at 5:30 start serving at 6:30. That's why I'm thinking SV. it's going to take a good 30 min just to get the grill going. And I'm trying to cook 100 wings for a post hockey tournament party.

How did you find skin texture and crispness vs conventionally grilled wings?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here