Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

To bacon or not to bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudbeaver
    Former Member
    • May 2018
    • Marathon NY

To bacon or not to bacon

So, last year I smoked a turkey breast for Christmas, now family says I’m the man for the job. Last year I did a wet brine and smoked for around 6 hours. This year I have a whole 15 lb turkey. Plan on buttering under the skin. But thought, well by golly, y don’t I just stuff some bacon up in there n butter skin for crisp? Also doing a dry brine. So what do you guys think?? Any advice on smoking a whole bird will be appreciated HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!
  • jfmorris
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Huntsville, Alabama
    • Jim Morris

Cookers
      • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
      • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
      • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
      • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
      • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
      • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
      • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
      • Anova
      Thermometers
      • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
      • Thermoworks Dot
      • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
      • Thermoworks RT600C
      Beverages
      • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

Mudbeaver, I smoke whole or spatchcocked turkeys most Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. This year I smoked two 20 pound birds for Thanksgiving, and a 15 pounder the following week (got it for half price on Black Friday).

Nothing wrong with that butter under the skin, but bacon under the turkey skin will never crisp up in my opinion. While it might impart some flavor to the breast meat, I also think it will interfere with crisping of the skin on the turkey, or that is what I think will happen.

My advice is to skip the bacon - just eat it or use in another recipe, and dry brine and season your turkey. I would dry brine with kosher salt the day before the cook and leave it on a pan in the fridge, and then season generously both over and under the skin right before putting it on the smoker. Include the butter if you like. Leave off the bacon under the skin part. Smoke at 325 to 350 for crispy skin.

I don't know what temp you smoked at to take 6 hours to smoke a turkey breast or turkey. Unless you are putting it on the smoker still partially frozen, a 15 pound bird should take 2.5 to 3 hours whole, and 2 hours or close to it if spatchcocked. I leave a probe in the deepest part of the breast, and set my alarm for 160F.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with JF... The bacon will mess up the skin... if you want that bacon flavor, render some bacon fat and inject with it, though I think the smokiness and porkiness will overwhelm the turkey flavor.

Making stuffing with bacon lardons in it, on the other hand... that's where to put the bacon.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that stuffing idea could work, but then I tend to go for the traditional sagey sausage!
  • jfmorris
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Huntsville, Alabama
    • Jim Morris

Cookers
      • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
      • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
      • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
      • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
      • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
      • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
      • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
      • Anova
      Thermometers
      • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
      • Thermoworks Dot
      • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
      • Thermoworks RT600C
      Beverages
      • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

A good time guide is in this article:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...dapted-cooking

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      Former Member
      • Feb 2016
      • Dallas

My biggest things about Turkey is high heat. I would do 375-425 F. Also the smaller the better you are good with 15lb. The 20+ one's are hard to get up to temp without them drying out.

Out of all the stuff I have done to turkeys the easiest was deep frying. If you can get it tied up right rotisserie is pretty easy too.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Also I wet brine. To me it is just easier to dump it in the cooler with some salt. 1 cup per gallon.
    • Mudbeaver
      Former Member
      • May 2018
      • Marathon NY

Man I’m not sure I can run much over 300 with the ol okie. I cannot remember exactly how long it took or what temp. I almost feel like I did 275 250

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same problem with my old offset on Thanksgiving. I just had to throw tons of charcoal and wood chunks into the firebox to keep it over 325. Thankfully, especially if you spatchcock, you only gotta keep it hot for 2 hours.
    • Mudbeaver
      Former Member
      • May 2018
      • Marathon NY

Any recommendations on seasoning? I think I used kickin chicken last year

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        If I don't use Simon & Garfunkel I like Lawry's Chicken & Poultry Rub. It's salted, so I just use it as my brine and push it up under the skin too.

• Bumby
        Bumby commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with jfmorris re Simon & Garfunkel. I like that as a base and will frequently add a little Spanish paprika, chili powder, chipotle powder and/or cumin to add a little kick and character.
    • Murdy
      Club Member
      • May 2018
      • North-Central Illinois

Another thought on bacon: while virtually everybody loves bacon, it is a very strong taste and will materially change the turkey, which is fine, as long as that's what you want and think everyone will be happy with -- holiday meals are, to a certain extent, about tradition.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
      Former Member
      • May 2018
      • Marathon NY

EdF I totally read that recipie, and love it.

Comment

• fracmeister
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Sprang, TX
        • Dances with lemmings

(and smokes on a Yoder 640, raises bees and shoots a .408 WIndrunner) "come la notte i furti miei seconda"

Crisping skin... my secrets.

Dry brine like you mean it. Spathcock. Poke holes in the skin. Seperate the skin from the bird putting your gloved hand all up there to make sure some salt get on the flesh. Put whole herbs under the skin...not for flavor per se but to seperate the skin from the meat. Cook at 375F will breast meat at 160 (never had a problem with dark meat being at 170 when I do this). When removing the bird slice the skin between the leg and body (releasing steam which could sog things up.)

I use to add some baking powder in the dry brine (NOT SODA) but I don't need it with this.

Ultimate crispy skin... remove it all, cut the bird up and sous vide to perfection (about 140F for 2 hours depending on size), searing on removal and deep frying the skin in cut up pieces... crispier than potato chips.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
        Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
        Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
        This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements.These Are Some Of Our FavoriteTools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend.Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buythings

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought,it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcompletereview

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
        Stylish and Affordable
        Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
        A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175 to 350F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read ourdetailedreview

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read ourdetailedreview and to order