Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argentinian BBQ (Cow ribs with Salsa Criolla)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argentinian BBQ (Cow ribs with Salsa Criolla)

Hi folks! Here I am submitting my first post here at Pitmaster's! When I introduced myself some of you where anxious to hear about argentinian recipies and traditions. Here in Argentina your beloved "BBQ" it's called "asado". It's very common for argentinian families to gather together every Sunday noon to have lunch. Before the meal, as an entry, we eat salami with cheese and drink "Fernet" (Coke with herbs and alcohol, I personally dislike this drink too much!). While the soccer match starts, the wood starts to burn. Cow, pork, fish, it doesn't matter, everything goes to the spit.
    Usually, the seasoning is only salt and pepper. The asado is served with salads, chorizo (a spicy sausage), morcilla (blood sausage, sounds disgusting but its actually delicius) and french fries. THE drink while eating the first course is, of course, argentinian wine.

We don't use smokers like you do, we have different kinds of grills, though is possible to get a smoker.
    Today I'm going to introduce you to the cow rib. Its our main star, the queen of all argentininan asados, the
    "roasted strip". I insist you to try it at home. Just light up your carbon, and cook it 15 minutes per side. Of course, the minutes depends on the th thickness of the cut.

You can ask your butcher to cut cow ribs very thin, or too thick, but it will take up to 1 hour per side to cook. I hope you enjoyed my first post. You can accompany the cow ribs with some Chimichurri or Salsa criolla (recipe at the end of the page). Let me know if you want me to write about anything in particular.
    SALSA CRIOLLA
    • 2 red peppers (not spicy)
    • 6 tomatoes
    • 2 onion (better if purple)
    • 1 cup sunflower or corn oil
    • salt and pepper
    • 1 cup of white vinegar
    Chop it all off and put everthing togheter in the fridge. Thank you very much for reading! If you want to keep in touch, I'll leave my facebook account link at the end of the post. My name is Jimena but you can call me Jimmy (easier to pronounce, dont mind its a boys name haha) See you later!

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    Attached Files

Howdy Jimena, thanks for the great post!! I will be trying your recipe soon, thank you for sharing. BTW, I'm with you on the Fernet, pretty unpleasant.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 20, 2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• jimmyz
      jimmyz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Captain Mike!

Very nice. Thanks!

Comment

Awesome post and photos and the food looks great. Jimena from Argentina. Nice rhyme.

Comment

Thanks Jimena I am going to make that salsa real soon. I think I will skip the fernet, but the wine will work. The ribs look great too.

Comment

• jimmyz
          jimmyz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you klflowers!

Good Morning , food looks awesome Thank you for sharing your recipe .

Comment

Thank you for the post and photos. Looks delicious.

Comment

Great post, thank you Jimena!

Comment

Looks fantastic! Is that the same cut as flanken ribs we have in the U.S.?

Comment

• jimmyz
                jimmyz commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes Hulang1971, I think this cut is called flanken short ribs. Show your butcher google search results for "tira de asado". Make sure they cut them thin, otherwise it will be more difficult to cook and require a different techique. If it is thick, first cook the bone side, and after 1 hour more or less, cook the other side.

• Hulagn1971
                Hulagn1971 commented
                Editing a comment
                jimmyz 1/4" to 1/2" thickness?

• jimmyz
                jimmyz commented
                Editing a comment
                About 3/4" thickness should be perfect

Verrrrry Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great we appreciate the post !! Keep them coming, any recipes that may even include side dishes are welcome and encouraged !! We call that cut of ribs flanken cut, which is across the bone plate. They look really good !!

Comment

jimmyz thanks for the post. At what temp are you cooking the beef 400-550F or lower? Are you cooking them direct or indirect? I would assume direct, but how far from the charcoal? Am I correct in assuming that the cook time is 30 minutes but if they are thick it could take up to an hour? Do you preseason them with any spice mix? If so, what is the mix?

Comment

• jimmyz
                    jimmyz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi! Its direct fire, about 7 inches or less above the charcoal. If the ribs are thin, the cook time is about 30 minutes, 15 or 20 per side. If the ribs are thick (like "costillar"), I would say 1 hour the bone side and 30 minutes to finish the other side. The seasoning is salt and white pepper powder. Make sure that the moment you put the meat on the grill, the meat is at room temperature.

• jimmyz
                    jimmyz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    To know if the grill's temperature is fine, put your hand above the grill, if you can bear the heat for 5 to 7 seconds, the temperature is correct.

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jimmyz thanks. Those are the details I needed. The next time that cut of meat goes on sale, i’ll give it a try.

Welcome! The food looks fabulous but I want to applaud your sense of humor. ‘Coke with herbs and alcohol. I personally dislike this drink too much 😂’ . I think you like it. Great smile too!

Comment

Thanx for the recipe.

Comment

Cool, thanks! I’ve done those ribs, I loved the flavor, plus I like them cut that way (across the plate). Heck, beef ribs are great any way you cut them :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here