Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri tip redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri tip redemption

As many of you know I had a terribly disappointing tri tip cook earlier in the week. It looked great but was tough as hell. I followed all the directions on this site and then got some good comments on how to improve it.
    I was just chatting with my local butcher and mentioned how I was unhappy with my cook. He very generously gave me another Wagyu tri tip so I could try again. I told him that wasn’t necessary but he insisted.
    I dry brined for about eight hours, coated in olive oil and rub, and did a reverse sear. This time I went at a slightly higher temp of 300 instead of 225 and the final temp of the resting meat was 145-150. Someone mentioned the tri tip is more tender at about medium than rare so I tried it out.
    All in all it was way better. Tender and flavorful. Very happy with the cook.

Special shout out out to The butchers at Oceana Market in Pacifica for taking care of me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sfdrew28; July 2, 2018, 08:43 PM.

I can see that temp working out. I've had only top of the line Prime and SRF Wagyu and never cared for a simple reverse sear to medium-rare. Razor thin slices against the grain still didn't do it for me, but sous vide Q did.

I still want to get a nice fat one and to 200-203.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 2, 2018, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll be waiting to see that post. Curious myself.

I’ve always done medium rare for tri tip. It’s not extremely tender, but certainly not tough. It’s similar to flank steak for flavor and tenderness.

Comment

Congrats on your successful cook.

Comment

And ya gotta be careful slicing as the grain runs two different directions in the tri-tip cut! I low and slow and reverse sear every one, and I can't remember a tough one.

Comment

That looks pretty good .... Medium is good on tri-tip, although I'm a fan o' medium rare personally.

I never cook tri-tip at 225. I run the Hasty-Bake around 275-300, bring the tri-tip up to 10 degrees short of my desired temp. Pull the tri-tip, pat it down nicely dry, then paint with beef love. Crank the direct sear up to as hot as I can get it, then on goes the tri-tip for a couple minutes per side. Pull and slice :-)

Comment

I always cook tri-tip at my PBC's "normal" temp (275-300) to medium rare(ish). Never had a tough one and no longer bother to sear:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC Tri-Tip 3.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	526185

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              ecowper - Any time, my friend!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. You said it. I concur.

Kathryn

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              You’re the third member who mentioned skipping the sear.

Looks good!

If I ever see a Tri-tip I'm all over it. I've yet to see that cut for sale at any store I've been to in Alabama. All you guys west of the Mississippi just gobble them all up apparently! I'll probably have to order one from Crowd Cow or SRF if I ever want too try one...

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              I get my tri tips from Creekstone Farms, wife loves em.

• Livermoron
              Livermoron commented
              Editing a comment
              True. Tri tip doesn't make it through the mountain passes if I'm on patrol...

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              I can find them occasionally here on the East Coast, and I snatch them up when I do!

I dry brined my last one 48 hrs, then just saw a vid from Adrenaline & they showed the why of the matter & am now super sold on the idea. Cuz it came in at marvelous.
            Last edited by FireMan; July 4, 2018, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Me too! That was a really good video.

Kathryn

If you want consistently tender, melt in your mouth TT then sous vide is the way to go. I might not plop a wagyu in the hot tub, but this method is a no-fail for me.

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              What CaptainMike just said!!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              You got it! 4-6 hours SV for me.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Yupper!!! 4-6 hours at 130 & a quick scorch! YUM!!!

Sounds like you found a winning combination! Tri tip is maybe my favorite cut of meat to BBQ. My absolute favorite method is to do the traditional Santa Maria trip tip recipe. To do the Santa Maria trip tip, make a dry rub with salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic, paprika, chili powder and dry rosemary. Baste the meat every 30-45 minutes with a red wine vinegar, dijon mustard and garlic mop sauce. I cook mine at 250-275 over indirect heat. I agree with the folks above that I would never go beyond 135 (med rare) internal temp. I've never seen a benefit of a reverse sear with tri tip. You should build a beautiful crust with the method described. Good luck!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              What stores in Atlanta carry Tri tip? Just curious, since I am from Marietta...

jfmorris New York Butcher Shop on Roswell Road always has it and it's great quality!
            Last edited by pmorse36; July 7, 2018, 04:54 PM. Reason: Added @jfmorris

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here