Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket. Learned something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket. Learned something.

This weekend I discovered I had a problem. I found that I had been putting my probe in the wrong place. (I am trying to give up enuendo. But it's hard.....so hard). Sorry had to get that out.

A few weeks ago I had a brisket that didn't turn out. No biggie, it happens. This weekend I was cooking 2 briskets for my Army unit's family day (no pressure). I cooked on my weber kettle 22" and my WSM 22". They needed to be ready to serve by 1130ish on Sunday. Got em on around 7pm Saturday. 225-260 all night (with a couple hours of sleep). Put in foil around 430am. Had temp probes in the flat of both. around 195 started probing. Firm. 200 was still firm. 205 still firm. At this point I am flipping out. Nothing like looking like a Noob in front of the Commander and battalion. Looked at my instant read thermometer for temps. They said 185 and 190 on the two briskets. I initially thought both of my thermometers were improperly calibrated. (hey it can't be my fault).

So I let them ride to 1000 hrs. Took the temps again and they were 203 and 200. probed like butter. I then realized the probe placement was off and I was in a thinner part or closer to the surface of the meat. Well live and learn. Put em in the cambro for an hour and a half (mainly while I transported them). I tried two new rubs and they were excellent. Everybody liked them. I thought they were the best I had done so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_111605.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	515045Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_111602.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	515046Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_115704.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	515047

Congrats on a successful cook, and for learning something too. If possible, I put the probe in from the side. I think it's easier to find the center that way. Another method for finding the center when putting the probe in from the top, is to wait until the temp of the meat starts to rise, then move the probe up and down until you find the coolest spot. That should be the center of the meat.

Comment

Awesome!

I bet that was a little nerve racking doing that in front of the commander! (Although I do consider myself a Brisket Commander)

Probe placement can be tricky, especially on a brisket. I find that two probes is a good idea when doing brisket. I like to place one in the center of the Flat. I slide the probe in, like a needle, at an angle. This usually gives me a solid reading in the flat.

For the point, I measure the depth of the meat with a clean probe, mark it with my finger, then I try to place it right in the middle. You can usually feel it if you have it stuck in the deckle or some other piece of fat. (You don't want that) The point can take more heat, without being dried out, so I am usually more concerned about over cooking the flat.

Again, great work!

Comment

Congratulations!! Wonderful Brisket for your Friends.

Comment

Nicely Done, amigo!
          Congrats!

Comment

Photo number 3 says it all. I have served some awful brisket that got rave reviews from the consumers. In the end, to me anyway, that's what counts. With that said however, every "failure" has a wonderful lesson attached.

Comment

That's what great about an instant read in the mix. You can probe the meat and withdraw it slowly to find the lowest temp, then ensure your leave-in probes go in that spot and register that low temp. We've all been there with a false high temp. Like you say, live & learn!

Comment

I'm glad it worked out for you. I did my first brisket on Easter and I had to separate the point and the flat because of the size of the smoker. The point did great and I had an accurate temp reading. The flat gave me inaccurate temps four times throughout the cook! I continued to be baffled, but resorted to feel; like you, I found the flat was tough and not yet butter-like. I pulled a Malcolm Reed and put it in a foil pan, added some beef broth, covered with foil and let it go at 275 for 1.5 hours (after already being on the smoker for 14 hrs). Once I opened it back up and probed around with my handheld thermometer I had the 203 I wanted and it was tender. I had already considered, but will take RonB's advice above to heart - probe from the side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here