Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Should It Take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long Should It Take?

I'm experimenting with a new grill, and I find myself lacking one vital piece of information. Provided I can hit my target temp of 225* to 250*, how long will it take a pair of 1.25" thick rib eye steaks to become ready for the final sear?

I realize that I really need to do an intro post made, but I'm hung up on this question and would really appreciate some advice! Next time, I'll do a proper job with what grill, temp control method, and all the rest of what I should have started with. I PROMISE!!!

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

Hi (Mike S.) and welcome to the pit!

I think roughly 40 minutes should do. Then you're ready for the final sear. It depends on your final meat temp also of course (are you aiming for rare, medium or well done?).

Either way, since you did mention it , please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome to the Pit...👍 I think Henrik is correct, close to 40 minutes at that temperature on the indirect side.

However... using a 1.25" steak for the reverse sear is as thin as you would ever want to try with that method. It's easy to over cook a thinner steak when you're trying to get a nice crust on it during the searing process.

Meathead suggests using 1.5" to 2.0" steaks for the reverse sear. That extra thickness will give you more opportunity to get a great crust without over cooking the interior of your meat.

Comment

It really depends if it is 225 or 250. I went a bit over an hour with 2 inch rib-eyes the other day and they were very rare coming off. However, I never went above 225 - hovered around 220. That 25 degrees difference and Breadhead 's observation that they are just over 1 inch makes all the difference in the world. I think he and Henrik are right on.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Mike.

Comment

Welcome (Mike S.)

Comment

Well, that was fast info, right on time! I appreciate the replies and good wishes.

Looks like this grill will do, at least 'till I can "justify" it's replacement. I confess to falling for the "gagititus" in the advertising hype. It is actually a bit too small to be able to do what I want. But, you gotta' start somewhere! I'm thinking right now that I really should have gotten a Weber. But since I didn't, I'm determined to make this one work. (Kind of a limited budget.)

I'll go do my "homework" now, and pick this subject up a little later.

Mike S.
                Spring Hill, FL

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A good charcoal grill is inexpensive and a great alternative to the gas grill when you have time. Allows time for planning another grill.

Henrick,

One thing my wife and I agree on is how we both like our steaks done, and that is medium rare! (And darned little else.)

I did another experimental burn and found that I can maintain a temp of 225* to 250* for a full 40 min or so, no problem. I can get there by using about 1/2 of a chimney of charcoal. Much more than that, and the temps climb somewhere North of 350*. I guess that is a characteristic of my grill, a Char-Broil 580. (That number is the available cooking surface.)

Then my questions is, how do I add the additional briquets for the sear? Right now, I figure I'll start that additional burn about half-way thru the low temperature phase and add it to the pile, or maybe lift the grate half with the meat on it, and just lay the coals right underneath. In any event, that would place then directly under the beef, and within an inch of it.

During the last test burn, I found that piling the coals up one side, the amount used could all be contained in a single side of the charcoal tray, leaving the other three empty. And lowering the tray just enough to be able to lay the pair of cooking grates in place, the temp measured about 250* or so. But cranking the the fire grate down as far as it could go, about 8", the temp actually went UP. Now, the temp did fall a bit, but it stayed around 225* for the most part.

And I'm pretty sure I've done the homework I was asking for, but so far, I've not seen hide nor hair of the info I put in my "sig file."
                Thanks again for the rapid reply!

Mike S. (Just typed this in!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S. View Post

Then my questions is, how do I add the additional briquets for the sear? Right now, I figure I'll start that additional burn about half-way thru the low temperature phase and add it to the pile, or maybe lift the grate half with the meat on it, and just lay the coals right underneath. In any event, that would place then directly under the beef, and within an inch of it.

Mike S. (Just typed this in!)
                  It looks like you can leave the grate OFF the one side where you've got the charcoal and then, when ready for the Sear, you could (with a proper tool or gloves) move the grate with meat over the coals.

Another idea for controlling a two-zone cook would be similar to what folks do with the Weber kettle and make a charcoal "snake" with one end lit and letting those coals slowly ignite the next row of unlit coals as the cook progresses.

If if you are having significant problems hitting a desired temperature, the first thing I'd look to do is seal up leaks. This may prove to be the quickest way to get control of your existing grill and make it into a wonderful cooker!

Comment

Well, I gave it a lot of thought and took another tack.

I decided to quit messing about with the Char-Broil 580, admit to the short-comings of the design, and I made a trip to the Home Depot and picked up a Weber Premium 22, and I'm expecting to take delivery on a Slow 'n Sear before the weekend.

I'll probably keep the Char-Broil and play around with that adjustable height on the coal bed, but to tell the truth, I'll probably end up making a donation of it to a local charity.

So, no more Mr. Nice Guy!

Seriously folks, it was kind of a dumb mistake. I'm over it now.
                    And now I can get some good grilling done!

Mike S.

Comment

You'll love the Weber with the SnS! Enjoy good food and post pictures!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here