Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Question

I'm planning on doing my first brisket this weekend (full brisket) and the local butcher can get Black Angus Choice. I was trying to get prime or better figuring it would be my best chance at success.

Is a Black Angus Choice brisket going to be high enough quality to end up with a great result or should I continue to try and track down something better? I have to order it ahead of time without seeing it so I cannot inspect it before hand.

Certified Angus Beef has its own standards see this link http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

They pick out what they want first, then they get graded Prime, Choice, Select. As you can see their standards are all pluses for what you are looking for.

IMO you will do well with a choice brisket and the CAB stamp is a plus. If you can find prime then go for it, but this sounds like a good brisket.

Comment

I've had many successful Angus Choice brisket cooks,Costco here in the northwest is a good source for prime. Good luck with your cook!

Comment

Brisket is all over the place as far as quality. I've had cheap cuts that were better or equal to prime cuts so I wouldn't worry to much about cooking what you have. Although not a big fan of injecting, I do find it's a must on brisket. Shoot that little hunk full of salt free (or at least low sodium) beef stock and follow through with the crutch once it hits the stall.

I always trim as much of the fat cap as possible. The fat won't meld into the meat and I don't really care for the taste of it. Most of it ends up in the grill anyway so I trim as much of it as I can off. I also don't put a heavy coating of rub on mine. A thick layer of rub will turn into a very hard bark and years ago I busted a tooth filling with a hard piece of bark.

Resting it in a cooler and letting the temp fall slowly is a must. Use a small Igloo, wrap it good and let the temp fall naturally before carving. I find 203 is the best temp before pulling it from the grill and eat the tip and the point before the flat.

Good luck, before the internet I filled many a freezer with "stew meat" while attempting to master brisket. The knowledge available to all of today makes it a pretty fool-proof cut if you understand the science and follow the proper procedure.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          "Stew meat" - I like that euphemism!

Thank you both!

Comment

USDA choice makes for a good eating brisket. I buy Choice at Sam's Club for $2.58 per lb.

Comment

I am going to play devils advocate but I have always made OK brisket. I now get Prime from Costco and my brisket is amazing. Black Angus choice may be much better than normal choice but I still think prime is the way to go

Comment

Are you ordering from Maloney's? I ask bc he usually gets cert. black angus on other meat I've ordered from him. I got two briskets from him and don't recall if they were CBA or not. Anyway, the first one -my first brisket - was amazing, I thought I was a genius and didn't really understand what all the fuss was about. The second one was pretty dry. I cooked them the same way. The first had 4hrs in the faux cambro and the second only 1hr. I'm pretty sure that was not the main cause of the discrepancy. And most folks here said that each piece of meat is different so in a long, round about way, I guess i'm saying that I don't know if the "Black Angus" label will make that much difference on a brisket.

If not Maloney's, please enlighten me as to where else I can order from. Thanks and good luck! Post lots of pics.

Comment

• 6th Borough BBQ
                6th Borough BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I am ordering from Maloney's. It's the only place I know. Feel free to swing by. My plan is to start at 6am and hope for the best!

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait! How many lbs? 6th Borough BBQ -6am might be too late. My first one was 14lbs and I think I cooked it for 16hrs plus 4hrs faux cambro.

• 6th Borough BBQ
                6th Borough BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Just picked it up - it's 12 pound before trimming.... and it looks beautiful in my inexperienced opinion! . I'm hoping for 12 hours or so but have plenty of beer if it lasts longer. In any case, it's going to be a long fun day!

Choice is very adequate. Black Angus choice is even better. Cook it and enjoy and learn in the process. Meathead 's Texas Brisket instructions are fabulous - follow them and enjoy the process!

Comment

Choice is wonderful I actually prefer Choice to Prime. (its a lazy thing Choice doesn't have as much Fat so lot less Trimming) Use to cost less than prime (and at Costco it was cheaper than the Select stuff at the local Supermarkets) but my local Costco stopped carrying Choice and only carries Prime. Which is usually still cheaper than the Supermarket stuff. So your good to go!

Comment

• sos2979
                  sos2979 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since I know your a local guy, have your tried Raider Red Meats. They have aged choice for $2.99/lb and aged prime for $3.99. Not sure what Costco goes for since I have a Sam's Club membership. Both are 30+ days wet aged.

• phoccer
                  phoccer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "...so a lot less trimming" I'm sold. Seriously. I'll take a hard look at the choice brisket next time at Sam's or Costco.

You should be fine. I've cooked many of their choice briskets, with good results. I don't inject mine, but that's up to each and everyone what you prefer.

Comment

Yes sos2979 I have been to Raider Red Meats (got a couple of Tri tips from them) 2.99 a # is what costco sales their Prime brisket for. I had not seen that Raider had choice meat though gonna check that out today! (My only problem with Raider Red and once again its a lazy thing) all their meat comes frozen. Costco is fresh I don't plan ahead like I should (once again LAZY lol) but have been very happy with the product I got there!

Comment

• sos2979
                    sos2979 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If I remember right, the briskets aren't frozen, but your right about the rest of their meat being frozen. Made for a rough cook a few weeks ago on a tri-tip that was still partially frozen. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• GadjetGriller
                    GadjetGriller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hummm I just assumed the Brisket was frozen as well? Never actually checked lol. I will when I get to go again. thanks for the heads up

And the results... tasted very good but not quite perfect. Was tender but wanted it to be a bit juicier. Bark was good. Will try harder to keep the smoker temp down next time and maybe wrap it also. Finished way sooner than I expected, probably too much heat. 6 1/2 hours with smoker at 225-280. Was 12 lbs before trimming, and I trimmed about 3 lbs off. Stalled for about 30 minutes at 172. Texas Style, without a crutch. Pulled it at 203 degrees, stored wrapped in a cooler about 3 hours before slicing. Temperature was 158 degrees. I'd say successful first run!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
                    Reds Fan 5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great looking first brisket! Love the hat.

Absolutely Fantastic!!!
                  Money $hots, fer sure!!!

Comment

That's good-lookin' meat right there!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here