Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Tri Tip - Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Tri Tip - Advice?

Heya folks,

I am going to give a tri-tip a shot this week. Never done one before. I have an anova sous vide cooker and a vacuum sealer, so I was thinking of doing a sous vide, then sear. I was wondering if anyone had any tips (temp/timing/seasoning/etc). Thanks!

Jerod Broussard mgaretz

These guys ^ know how to sous vide the heck out of a tri tip. Let's see what they can share...

Comment

Sous vide for me at least 3-4 hours at 131. I like to pre-sear while the meat is cold, then quickly cool and head to the sous vide bath.

Pre-searing helps the sear at the end accomplish its task more quickly.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Jerod Broussard : Is there any point to sous vide cooking the tri tip longer than that? Do you ever do 24 hours?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Not necessary on tri-tip. Trust me, I am very sensitive to texture. I cut mine into nice sized individual steaks and did 3 hours and I could cut 1/2" chunks that had perfect chew. On a regular low and slow tri tip on the pit even razor thin slices against the grain were not my thing at all.

• kingdarb
          kingdarb commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect thanks. I'll do the 3 hours at 131 then sear and see how that goes! Do you season before you sous vide?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I typically will throw on some type of garlic, onion, black pepper, red pepper mixture of some sort. I typically top it with sauteed onions and mushrooms at serving. And of course salt in the form of dry brining or right before it goes in the bag for the bath.

I do mine to 130 and I don't pre-sear. I use a torch to sear. Before I used the torch and was just using grill grates on the gasser, I would SV at 125 as the grates heat it up more. I like to go 8 hours in the bath, but I have done shorter.

Comment

I dry brine my Tri-Tips overnight before putting them in the vacuum sealed bag. I don't put additional seasoning in the bag.

I SV them at 131°. I've left them in the hot tub for 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours and 36 hours. I prefer 24 hours. You will notice a difference in tenderness on a 4 hours VS a 24 hour cook.

When I remove the Tri-Tip from the Sous Vide bag I blot it dry with a paper towel. Then I apply some beef love and either BBBR or Memphis Dust as my rub. I sear it on my kettle & SnS. I try to get the IT to 135°.

They always come out nicely.👍
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 27, 2016, 05:34 AM.

Comment

I learned from Breadhead, with some tweeks of my own. I just leave in the original package, toss it in the bath at 130. You can get away with 4 hours, seems like the sweet spot is around 10-12 hours, at least from my experiments. I then remove pat dry put some rub on and a little montreal steak seasoning and sear on a grill that is as hot as I can get it. I have been doing around 1:15 a side. I literally have to fight my teenager to get any to eat, he would inhale the whole thing! It is really, really good, but, as with most things use what we say as a guideline and find your own way through trial and, hopefully not too many, errors! Been having my friends come over for lunch as it only takes about 5 minutes to make. I have been getting the "you made this" comment a lot.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I like buying those preseasoned cryovaced packaged ones too. Talk about easy peasy.👍

• JohnF
              JohnF commented
              Editing a comment
              So I understand you are searing 1:15 minutes a side?

• chudzikb
              chudzikb commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, 1:15 a side, I am using the reverse side of my grill grates for a flat surface. Go too long and it will start to burn. On my weber genesis gas grill I have 2 main burners on high and the searing burner in the middle of them on.

The flavor of tri-tip is what blows me away. My next one I'm cooking like a brisket. 200 internal here we come!!

Comment

• chudzikb
              chudzikb commented
              Editing a comment
              Holy high temp! I am a rare meat guy, if you can cook for hours at a low temp and be good, why not? I think it would be cooked out of existence at 200, but, have at it and report the results, please? (ok, so I am curious)

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              I cooked one like a brisket just a couple weeks ago. It turned out very good, tender like brisket but a little different flavor profile. Used a Memphis Pellet Grill and foiled it at the end. Will definitely try it again. Tri Tip is good ALMOST any way you cook it!?!?

Perhaps I'll have to try SV + seared tri-tip one of these days. Normally, I just season them lightly with onion salt, garlic salt, and crushed dry basil ... then hang them in the PBC until medium rare. I've never bothered to sear them and they're always pretty much perfect:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC Tri-Tip 1.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	186693 Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC Tri-Tip 2.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	186694 Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC Tri-Tip 3.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	186695

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you will be pleasantly surprised what the bath tub does to your Tri-Tips. It's the ONLY way I cook them anymore. The sear makes them taste good and look pretty.👍

Well I cooked the tri-tip today and it was great. Great chew, great flavor. Basically I cooked it sous-vide in a foodsaver bag at 131 for about 8 hours, after seasoning it with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick seasoning. Dry-brined it for about 20 hours before the sous-vide. After that I seared it on the Kamado Joe a few inches above the coals with a dome temp of about 700. I liked it, wife liked it. I will do more of these in the future for sure. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the leftovers.

I made some of Kenjis foolproof bearnaise sauce to go with the roast and that was also really good. First time trying that recipe.

As an aside: The staff at the meat counters at the local grocery stores looked at me like I have three heads when I asked for tri-tip. It seems like to them, the only roasts that exist are prime rib and eye of round. I ended up going to a butcher shop, and I will be going back there again.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Without further ado, some pics.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Your tri-tip looks wonderfully delicious!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice cook! I've made Bernaise sauce to top tri-tip with too. Good choice of sauces. Leave the tarragon and vinegar reduction out of your sauce and you have hollandaise sauce too.👍

Here was mine for tonight: Tri-tip, cooked for 8 hours SV at 128F then torch seared. Served with green beans and salad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ttgb.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	187778

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful!

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              mgaretz ... I read in the Modernist Cuisine books on Sous vide cooking that if you are going to SV meat at that low of temperature, you should blanch your meat in boiling water for 1 minute to kill any bacteria that's on the surface of your meat. Just a safety heads up.👍
              Last edited by Breadhead; June 29, 2016, 10:16 PM.

Breadhead- I have the modernist cook book too. I'm smoking a pig can I also just wrap it up and cook it that way?

Comment

I'm going to try this I think: http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes...lasses-tri-tip. Leave it the marinade over night tho.

Comment

or maybe traeger over night at 180?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here