Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordering Meats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordering Meats

I'm curious who has ordered some of their Q meats and from which vendor. I'm particularly interested in pork spares and butt. I've ordered my briskets from Creekstone Farms and have had good luck with that great cut of meat. Just wondering about the pork side of the equation because I've not been too pleased with what's available to me locally.

You may want to check out Snake River Farms.

Comment

To me, the mail order places are just too expensive. I get what I can at Costco, especially pork ribs, brisket, chuck roasts, ribeyes. Pork butts from any supermarket seem fine to me. Do you have access to a real butcher where you live?

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Willy ...

I buy the VAST majority of my meat... Including beef, pork, chicken & fish from Costco.

When they have Prime beef available it is priced way, way under what my local grocery store prices are.

I MIGHT order some Wagyu from the Meatguyfromchina...😆 I just read his post about his family's cattle ranch and how they've developed really, really high quality Wagyu beef in America.

• Livermoron
        Livermoron commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. Costco's usually the first place I check.

• TheMeatGuyJapan
        TheMeatGuyJapan commented
        Editing a comment
        @Breadhead...

>Meatguyfromchina..

Not to denigrate China but...dude! Ouch!

Willy , Sadly I don't have any more local butchers. Closest one that I've used is a couple hours away. He's a great guy and did give me a reasonable price on a CAB brisket last time I was there.

There is a Costco about an hour from me and I think I be dragging Mrs JLock over there with me this weekend to take a look at their briskets to see if prime is in the case.

Comment

Jlock There are no butchers in our town of about 50,000 and the nearest Costco in Tucson is about 1 hour 20 minutes. There are real butchers in Tucson. Last weekend, Costco had prime brisket for $3.49/lb. Nice looking prime steaks, too, alas at a bit more than $3.49...

Comment

If you have a BJ's close, check it out. I bought a 9# boston butt several months ago. Smoked it up to 200 degrees (11 1/2 hrs), did pulled pork, and it was outstanding.

Comment

Based on Jlock 's comment about not caring for pork butt in "locally available" places, do y'all find supermarket butts unworthy?

BTW, I avoided appending a tasteless joke immediately above.

Comment

I get meats from Whole Foods and only buy locally grown, their Grade 4 or 5. It's way more expensive than the box stores but it's a lot cheaper than buying from SRF or other mail-order outlets that sell comparable quality product and it's hasn't been frozen.

If you have a Whole Foods close by I'd say that's a good alternative. Go in and talk to the butchers, see what they can do for you.

Best,
              Bill

Comment

Wow, the Whole Foods here only has Select. I am finding Choice, Angus and some Prime at Cash and Carry and price seems reasonable. I picked up a package of Memphis style ribs yesterday for game day for 2.68 Lb and 3 racks in the package, 2 good size racks and 1 smaller just under 10 lbs.they have weekly specials so I'll be trying them for awhile.
                Last edited by JohnF; February 5, 2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I have a Sam's, no Costco or Whole Foods and have been pleased so far. Let's see how their briskets are...hopefully in a few weeks I'll cook one.

Comment

Heading to the nearest Costco this coming weekend to see how the brisket looks.

Comment

No Costco's here in OKC so I generally go to Sam's. I can't afford Whole Paycheck even though we have one about 3 miles from the house. Whole Foods is just tooooooo dadgummed expensive!

I have a couple of custom butcher shops I frequent when I need a really good brisket, etc.

As has been mentioned above, I've found on-line purveyors simply too expensive and the quality really isn't noticeably different from what I can get at my local butchers.

Comment

Never bought any meat on-line. Too much fresh meat here in Wisconsin. I bought pork shoulders at $2.79 lb; pork butts at $.79 lb.; BBribs at $2.99 Lb. My problem is I'm waiting for the temperature outside to get above freezing to smoke all that meat. I know some folks who live in butcher shop deserts. It's a pain. Whole Foods is expensive heretoo. We buy our prime rib from Costco for our Christmas dinner. It is excellent and so is the price. We were buying prime from a butcher shop here. It was $14.lb. Costco was $8.50 lb choice. Good luck with your problem. I'm researching UW Provisions here as a meat provider for smoking . Ill let you know what I find.

Comment

Since our visits to Franklin's and Louie Mueller's in August, I decided to see if I could get close to their results. Both use Prime for Beef ribs and Brisket, which is hard to find and expensive here, so I've ordered some of both from SRF. When they have a Sale (and when they used to provide free shipping to Amazingribs customers) the price wasn't too-extremely awful, and the quality was astounding (especially on the high-end beef short ribs). That said, it is a lot of money, and my next step will be to see if I use all that I've been learning what I can produce with the less-expensive grades of meat I can get from Costco or our local butcher. The SRF pork has also been amazing, and was fun to try (on sale, at least), but too expensive for me to use on any kind of regular basis.

Comment

Ordered Pork and Beef from Lobels and Just now ordered some Tri-tip from Snake River

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here