Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from the banks of the Danube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the banks of the Danube

Hi Everyone and greetings from Hungary!

I am a father of two unfortunately food allergic kids, so do lots of cooking at home from them. That makes me explore newer and newer ways of preparing food. My attention recently turned to BBQ smoking: managed to make some quite tasty chicken thighs and duck breast on my old Weber kettle, so I decided to invested into a real smoker, and bought Proq Frontier Elite. Made some good chicken and tried ribs, which did not turn out as good as I was hoping for but the family still ate it.
    My real challenge in BBQ is that the kids are allergic (among others) to paprika and tomato, which disqualifies like 80% of all "traditional" BBQ recipes. As a workaround, I cook my sauce from fruit juice instead of tomato juice, and indeed leave paprika out of any rub or sauce where it is listed. Any suggestion on getting around tomato and paprika is very welcome!

I am really looking forward my time here in the Pit, hoping I will learn a lot from you guys.

Welcome from 'Mercia

Comment

Garlic and Garlic, maybe peaches. Onion, various herbs, Mexican spices, other kinds of pepper (check out some of the ground ones available online). Chinese Five spice powder. A lot of this depends on whether they're also allergic to other kinds of peppers.

Welcome!
      Last edited by EdF; August 27, 2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• nyekike
        nyekike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice! We love garlic, use it a lot. I will check the peppers, recently found a webshop selling several kinds of exotic spices here. Chinese five spice is also a great tip, do not have major experience with it, only used it so far with my BBQ sauce, worked there very well.

Welcome! Kids allergic to paprika in Hungary? I feel very sorry for them, it must be extremely challenging.

Comment

• nyekike
        nyekike commented
        Editing a comment
        We can only eat with them in the very best restaurants, which is good for them but not for my wallet.... Otherwise you cannot avoid paprika, it is in everything.

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:
      • Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

This is a great place to hang out and we hope you will join us on a regular basis. Jump in on the fun!

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome nyekike ..... looking forward to hearing about your grilling and smoking adventures. My grandfather is from Hungary (in the mountains closer to Romania). I learned how to cook a lot of the old country food from my grandmother. I cannot imagine being allergic to paprika and living in Hungary. That seems almost impossible!

Comment

• nyekike
          nyekike commented
          Editing a comment
          The usual Hungarian household has three spices: salt, black pepper and paprika. We have at least a dozen kind of green herbs to add some flavor to the dishes we make. The issue is eating out, that is very tough.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning!

Comment

Welcome to fun in the Pit! It is great to hear of your perseverance and creativity.

Comment

Welcome from the Bay Area! I think you'll find a few techniques and recipes here (probably mainly asian style) that will avoid some of the spice allergies...

Comment

Welcome from Southern California. Huntington Beach welcomes you and your family. I immediately thought of Strauss when I saw Danube... I know, you've heard that before.

Mexican dried chilis like Ancho and Guajillo and white sauces could work. I admire your thought on the coule for a base instead of 🍅. Perhaps South Carolina BBQ sauces could work. How about raisen, prune, figs, grapes? Reductions seam the way to go. Perhaps a dark or Chocolate Roux like a Nola gumbo. Maybe a Thai type baseas well. Panang and the north use red ones.

I am glad you are here. There are some really smart people that will likely be throwing out ideas at you in the near future.
                We love pictures.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! In the Amazing Ribs recipe section, there are a number of sauce recipes that don't contain tomato. Two favorites for chicken in our house are the Alabama White Sauce and the Huli-Huli Chicken Sauce. Both (and others) can be found here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/index.html

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Guys,

I am really overwhelmed by the warm welcome and the ideas flowing in, thank you very much!

As I heard you liked pictures, so here is a couple:

My gear, with a bit used IKEA chair as the platform for the thermometer and occasional side table for the smoker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lkxAaBwbERs8Gy98X7hFhfyDlfJiaXNo6IfSag5OxL2WmvuE47ycOlWnUeQO37dWPZg3SKONNG8_WakYivo7YNWtL-VkNj_7GT6_v6A2Zu8q3Z7JjpHVasWFvCJCDl-KLzyHVVWBVJiR0fHRn9IwUm1YcT8g5mrO22IEBWle7Kc0QCkKssY1-NhcvrovpIpM0abfhKKXHoefzeyVKkzWWj7z_mVHpV5cVub6iLhDWwj-VE9w_4_mqrejnxYnGSL
Views:	48
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	370244

My first cook on it, some thighs, two simple, two stuffed with dried plums, two stuffed with basil leaves and chicken liver, a whole chicken flattened out on the lower grate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jgBYzFhpqKW0xbVrD0rbrAUE6-88L-JxWn2tWxlNQP5UDEZIccVl008ZHMWz3vFdGx3DOUEHxSYzXJw8Yw1vOM5PPgtC2XRKCrXTPRMoPpD8-x6at5MtTnd53adZ4DjAeDXgGXwyK357PwBXm2nQO6jjR5IJcJKilBfjN4qivkbCP09E_F-CYmMoyDozfFcHnLYsXoyNwqEZ3bc_mmsJn7JLhwyHQsuK9jZ_IxSTSlpEW0wuSIwMhwjLW5ffAEZ
Views:	65
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	370245

Picture was taken right before I took them off the smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here