Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNS understanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNS understanding

After reading about Slow-'n Sear, I don't see how I would benefit from replacing my Smokenator. I will never sear anything and might try the control I'd get with a torch first. I would choose to bbq a pork shoulder for the memories but will always choose to use cushion meat when it is available (all the great flavor and bark, much higher yield, and much less time and hassle). I'm intrigued by the Slow 'n Sear but I don't need a longer burn.
    Based on what I've read on AmazingRibs, I worry the first one to two hours of smoking and am happy to finish the cook on a different bbq.

I can't post outside the pit because I don't use the required social media accountsl

Rbar I had the Smokenator also but after receiving the SnS I threw the Smokenator away.

Comment

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      I could never dispose of my Smokenator; it was the greatest improvement I'd ever experienced in BBQ.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      I did 1 half-az* failure calibration with the Smokenator and bought an SnS. Smokenator now in box until I figure out what to do with it. Might donate to charity.

Just like DWCowles , I trashed my smokenator as well.
    It comes down to use I guess. There's no way you can make pizza, biscuits with a smokenator. Can't bring a smokenator to high enough heat for wings or chicken.

Comment

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never cooked a pizza in a bbq but I am guessing it would go better on GrillGrates on a pellet or gas grill.

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree!

Cushion meat?

Comment

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      Cushion meat is a piece of the shoulder; someone told me it is the tricep muscle but I don't know (or care) It is the long strirated lean meat you've already enjoyed in a pork shoulder. I started using it after a restaurant owner told me that's what was in the excellent pulled pork sandwich I'd enjoyed. I've only found cushion meat it in stores that cater to restaurants. It is a great time saver because it comes in smaller chunks and there's much less inedible tissue; there's plenty of fat and flavor. Here's some discussion: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/7...k-cushion-meat
      Last edited by Rbar; December 4, 2015, 10:54 PM.

• jmott7
      jmott7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, maybe I think of it as the money muscle.

I also trashed my Smokenator - it simply was too much of a PIA that did not work as advertised.

I don't own a SNS (saving for a Lang), but here is what Henrik noted in another post about the SNS superiority over the Smokenator:

"1. Sturdier construction (one piece, thick steel, as opposed to three pieces, thin steel)
    2. A lot easier to use (fill with briquettes, refill water)
    3. A lot less maintenance during a grill session (due to super easy access to the briquettes). With the Smokenator I have to add water twice as often. Same with briquettes.
    4. Burns a lot longer."

Other have noted the same things.

Comment

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      The Smokenator works best with a temperature control such as the PartyQ.

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah - so the inventor doesn't say that.

I have criticized PBC for making it appear that their product is set and forget, and they were stand-up enough to admit it and make a troubleshooting video.

The Smokenator isn't out and out fraud, but quite frankly the "brick method" done by Pit Boss works WAY better than the Smokenator w/o spending $50.

I found it to be a huge PIA having to refill the water pan over and over and over and having to feed it charcoal every hour or so - and did I mention super low temps? It was difficult to maintain 215, much less 225-250 for me.

That being said, if it works for you - stick with it. I tried removing the tiny water pan and packing it full of coals, but that only made it to where I had to refill the coals and water about every two hours instead of every one.

The PBC has spoiled me with the 10-12 hour cooks I get out of 1 firebasket I guess.

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      The PBC looks interesting but Smokenator with a temperature controller gives me a plenty long cook.

I definitely agree with the 4 points above. The SnS is significantly easier for temp maintenance and startup. With the Smokenator being smaller, there is a bit more room for food. I've always had trouble maintaining temps with my Smokenator. The only smoke I've done on SnS so far was 3 racks of spares, which just barely fit. Smokenator is a great invention, but SnS improves it.
    It's interesting to see that BBQ accessories are now acting like electronics. Can a Smokenator 2.0 beat the SnS? Keep the ingenuity coming!

Comment

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      I used my hover grill once with the Smokenator and that was more surface area than I've ever used since. But I don't want to crowd my 3 panel GrillGrates if the SnS takes up more space than Smokenator. Thank you for helping me think that through.

LOL!! What would you like to hear from us about the SnS Rbar ?

Comment

• Rbar
      Rbar commented
      Editing a comment
      The feedback I've received has convinced me that I don't need the SnS for now. If I were starting out, I'd go that direction based on the multiple recommendations.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here