Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Searing w/o SnS Low Profile (sad face)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Searing w/o SnS Low Profile (sad face)

I love my SnS on my 22" kettle, and use it all the time to reverse sear steaks using Dave's cold grate technique. Now that I have the new WSCG I would love to replicate this on that one, mostly to take advantage of the bigger cooking area. Anyone have any ideas how to get one of the low-profile SnS that fits this cooker? Or, thoughts on how to reverse sear on this one? I guess it's not a bad thing to give the old kettle some love too, but this is the new shiny toy!

I believe the SnS Charcoal Basket fits in the WSCG.

Comment

• facedogg
      facedogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wow, I didn't know this was a thing, thank you!

You could use the Weber charcoal baskets for your reverse sear. They’re not as tall as the SnS insert but you’d still have a good concentration of heat for the sear. I’ve done it before many times before I got my SnS insert. I placed them side by side in the back of my kettle.
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 7, 2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Both of the above. As well with the extra capacity of the WSCG and the grates being just bit closer together I feel like you can reverse sear without anything too. just pile the coals to one side. A couple of fire bricks can work too, lots of options to get similar results. If you get the timing down, you could probably do the low part with 15-20 coals or maybe even less on one side and light another 1/2-3/4 chimney about 20 mins before you want to sear and dump in.

Comment

• facedogg
        facedogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this plan. Given that today's cook is under snowfall I went back to the old faithful for the superbowl ribeyes, but this is what I'll light up next week. Thanks!!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        facedogg I was able to find my SnS low profile from a place in England. I paid a stupid amount to get it here and really don’t use it very much. I just use Kamado mode since I have the Snapjet. The SnS charcoal basket is probably the next best thing. I’d find the name of the place, but I’m pretty sure they sold out a month or so after I bought mine. There’s a thread somewhere linking to them. Obviously, kamado mode isn’t for steaks though.
        Last edited by glitchy; February 7, 2021, 04:46 PM.

My understanding is that the SnS Low Profile is the only SnS that will fit the WSCG, but they are not making them at this time...

Comment

I have the original SNS and it does fit, although the grate does sit on it just a bit.

You could go with a Vortex. I believe the medium sized unit will fit the WSCG. I just ordered one for wings and it is scheduled to arrive today. Based on videos I have seen, the Vortex can be used for reverse searing. Have fun!

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          The medium vortex in the WSCG is a little too tall to fit so you have to take out the center portion of the grill grate. It’s fine for wings but I don’t know how it would work wide-side up for searing.

Just to follow up here, the original SNS works *almost* perfectly! It may be about 1/4" too high, but when put against the edge of the kettle it is almost a negligible lift of the grate, so that's what I'll be using going forward.

I'm also picking up a vortex this weekend to see if we can get some chicken parts rolling now that the snow is finally melting here in the northeast! I am growing to hate the weber grate with the removable center, so hopefully this evens out my love/hate of it!

That said, thank you again to all of you that convinced me over time to pick this grill up, it has been incredible so far!

Comment

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          I reverse seared 4 Ribeyes and 2 T-Bones on a Weber Kettle two weeks ago using the Vortex and I must say for that cook I preferred it over the SNS which I also own. By placing the Vortex in the middle I was able to get the steaks equidistant from the coals so they cooked evenly. With the SNS I would have had to shift them around for even cooking. The reverse sear over the Vortex worked well for this cook. I will be using it again on my WSCG.
          Last edited by bep35; March 3, 2021, 01:29 PM.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          bep35. Thanks! That’s great to know. I’ve got a kettle and SnS and am considering getting the vortex. Now I wish I would have bought the vortex first.
          Last edited by Panhead John; March 3, 2021, 02:07 PM.

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John, I should add that I really like my SNS for smoking brisket, ribs, and pork shoulders on the WSCG. Having the SNS off to the side really opens up space for more meat and the water reservoir is a nice addition. I use the Vortex for chicken wings and will now be using it more for reverse searing. I use the SNS for smoking.
          Last edited by bep35; March 3, 2021, 03:01 PM.

You're going to love using the Vortex with your WSCG. The center cut out for the grate makes it really handy. Chicken parts are wonderful using the Vortex.

I have the low profile SnS, and feel lucky to have it, especially now that it's no longer being made. I prefer it for reverse sear but maybe that's because I'm so used to using it. Plus it's wonderful if you wanted to smoke smaller amounts of meat in preference to firing up the kamado. I go back and forth with the SnS and the WSCGC in kamado mode (where it truly excels), depending on which I want to play with the most on any particular day.

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I did some baby backs a couple of days ago and Spartacus ran 230 degrees for 5 hours straight. The Fireboard graph was a straight line. I LOVE cooking with that grill!

You could get a regular S&S and have someone cut a half an inch off of it.

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Grinder with a cutoff wheel should take care of it. May not be able to get it perfectly straight but of course that doesn’t really matter.

Bricks, baskets, banking coals.

Comment

Finally got me a vortex! It just came today. I was going to get the real Vortex, but it said you need 5” of clearance between the cooking and charcoal grates. With the grate I have, it’s a little less than that. So the cooking grate would have rested on the vortex. I found this one that only needs about 4 1/3” of clearance. It’s called the BBQ Whirlpool and made by QuliMetal. And it was $10. cheaper, $30. I’ll be trying it out tomorrow with a bunch of wings.
          Attached Files

Comment

Vortex > SnS
            I got the Vortex when I got my WSCGC. Had the SnS in one of my Performers and thought I'd miss it. Wrong, more even temperature across the cooking surface and it's a reverse sear machine. Don't use it for smoking since the standard smoking mode is nearly perfect.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here