Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSCGC In Transit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSCGC In Transit

Went ahead and ordered the WSCGC before Version 2 came out. Was worried about what they cheapened to knock 500 off. Hope I don't regret it.
    Did I miss anything: ordered a cover, extra lower grate, GBS center sear grate, Pit Viper fan w/ adapter, medium vortex, grate lifter, Weber elevated rack, 8 bags of various wood chunks and 210 pounds of charcoal. Hoping for smoke nirvana.

Anticipate my Performers and WSMs will be lonely
    Last edited by aucivil; October 9, 2020, 06:50 PM.

Wow. Just. Wow! You got the whole shebang! Please show us when you get started!!

Comment

• aucivil
      aucivil commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do 😁

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      No $#!+ just got everything at once. Good for you and no, you won’t regret it

Awesome grill. You pretty much got it all. The only other thing I have is a Ceramic Grill store reducer ring.

Congrats on the new grill it is an amazing cooker enjoy her!

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/produc...ed10f88e&_ss=r
    "The Ring corrals the lump and creates a fixed burn area. It's a great way to shrink a big grill for small, quick cooks. Also helps save lump."
    Last edited by Old Glory; October 10, 2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      What's the advantage of using a reducer ring vs the indirect setup or Vortex in kettle mode? Just curious.

Kathryn

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I love the vortex and I use it often. However when the fire grate is in the "High" position it pokes through the middle of the cooking grate. Fine for using indirect for wings, thighs, pork chops, etc. However the reducer ring fits under the cook grate and I use it for direct cooks like burgers if I am only doing a few and don't need the full surface of the cooking grate.
      Last edited by Old Glory; October 10, 2020, 07:46 AM.

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      ....Gives me an 14" cooking area rather than the full 24" saving some charcoal. I also use it to sear off steaks that I Sous Vide cooked. Not necessary but useful.
      Last edited by Old Glory; October 10, 2020, 07:44 AM.

I kinda think you’re gonna love it. And yeah, the others may well feel neglected...

I gave away my WSM 22 after I got mine. It’s pretty impressive...as a "grill" (kettle mode) it’s great. It’s pretty much a 24” kettle, and setting up two zones is simple. As a "kamado," it works as well as my friends ceramics...and it’s easy to move if needed. In "smoker" mode, it’s a 24” WSM. LOL I rarely used the lower grate on the WSM. I just felt it was kind of a pain. These days 99% of what I do can fit onto the main grate, but I also have the elevated grate for the rare occasion where I need more space...and it’s a heck of a lot easier than getting to the lower grate on the WSM.

The Vortex is a must have IMO...that combo is a wing cookin’ machine.
    A grate lifter is a must as well... About the only thing you don’t have listed is the charcoal "rake." Quite handy, and quite frankly, it should have been included.

I don’t have the sear grate but do have a pizza stone & griddle.

Because it can be SOOOO efficient with charcoal...you can pretty much literally shut it off...and have LOTS of charcoal left over...I picked up a sand sifter like people use on the beach with their metal detectors... Ash & small bits fall through the holes and the rest can be added back into a chimney for another day.

So yeah, with that, congrats on the new toy.

Comment

I think you’ll be happy with what you got. We know it was great Gen 1. If down the road you want to spin some protein, I shared my experience making a Big Joetisserie fit the WSCG.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

You're going to love cooking on that WSCGC; the storage and convenience with the attached table is terrific.
          Once you see how versatile it is and how rock solid the temps are, you're going to want to use it exclusively.

I have the Low-Profile SnS with mine, which is not manufactured any more (but there's always hope that David Parrish will make a special run for it) which I use all the time for cooks that don't require the whole grate area.

I recently purchased a drip pan for it from Amazon--basically a 17" outside diameter cake pan. Up until now I've been using two disposable aluminum pans squished side by side for this purpose. I never use a water pan for any cook. The only water I use is in the SnS.

Take photos and let us know how you like it!

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I smoke with the SnS when I have a smaller cook, like, say, one pork butt or two meatloaves. For larger cooks that require more grate real estate, I smoke via the kamado mode. I think the smoke profiles with kamado mode or SnS mode are comparable.

K.

• RAGBBQ
            RAGBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you please send a picture of the cake pan that you use? I have been using the Drip n Griddle pan with my SnS low profile.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the DnG when I use the SnS as well, RAGBBQ . For the WSCGC in kamado mode, I purchased the anodized aluminum pan mentioned in my post.

HTH,
            Kathryn

Does this GRILL ‘N GO LIGHT fit? Are they any good?

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure about that one. I bought the Weber lights when the ones on my Weber Summit gasser went kerflooie, but they don't work all that well. IMO there are better ways to get light to what you are cooking than those teensy ones that clip to the handle. Just saying.

Kathryn

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure about those but I’ve yet to see little grill lights that are truly impressive.
            If you’ve got power near your grill, I think there are better choices out there. Heck, even a clamp on reflector light. Granted, those aren’t a pretty...but they work.

• RAGBBQ
            RAGBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            In the past, the reviews I have read on these lights have been poor.

Has the cover spring assist gone for anyone else? Mine scares me at least once a week with a surprise snap close.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            No. Still works perfectly.

Kathryn

• pknj
            pknj commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to talk to weber. Only issue I have with the cooker, which I love. Must be a bad spring or something.

• RAGBBQ
            RAGBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to tighten the bolts a couple of years ago, but no issues since

Congrats on the purchase. I can't help cause I don't have one, but I'm keenly interested in the $500 price reduction and whether that was the result of a quality reduction. Let us know!

Comment

I love my WSCGC! Only issue I have had is the SnapJet ignition system does not work anymore. My guess is that because I use the SnS, the ashes from it have covered the burner, and it needs cleaning out. Anyone else had this issue? In any case, I just light the charcoal with a chimney and a tumbleweed starter, or I put a starter in the SnS with the charcoal.

Is there a reason you bought the extra lower grate? It seems pretty heavy duty.

Comment

• aucivil
              aucivil commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc I bought the Weber cast iron insert for searing steaks so I needed the top of the vortex slightly below the grate. The stacking method (grate,baskets,grate,vortex) was perfect. Was the first time using a vortex. Felt like I was on an episode of forged in fire. Burnt lots of hair off my hand and arm. Was afraid it was going to melt something. Did sear some fine steaks and cast iron insert took the heat. Indirect was perfect for reverse sear and mushroom caps.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I see. Makes sense. I thought you were using it for chickens, not for "afterburner" method steaks. Fine idea.

My Snapjet has always worked great, RAGBBQ and aucivil . Then replaced an empty gas bottle last week. Since then, the Snapjet pulses a couple of times and then on the 3rd try it catches. First time for that. But I'll take it. I've done a couple of cooks since (some pork butts in Mr. Fancypants as we speak) and both times the 3rd try did the trick.

Kathryn

• RAGBBQ
              RAGBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc, you are lucky that the SnapJet has worked so well for you.

aucivil, I called Weber a few days ago. They told me it is the valve and regulator. They shipped these to me, so I will have them soon.

Nice!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here