Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current WSCGC Still Have the Fan Port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current WSCGC Still Have the Fan Port?

Was planning to order the WSCGC before they changed it but wanted to make sure the fan port hadn't already been deleted . Could not find anything about the fan port in the literature on the site. Called Weber and customer service didn't know said they didn't think Weber advised using a fan, just the vents (Geez). Called the BBQ Guys customer service and they didn't know but they called the store to get someone to look and they said they didn't see one and were not aware of the unit having a port.

The port appears to be top secret. Is it still there?

I just got a new WSCGC a few weeks ago (love it) and it does have the fan port.

Comment

Originally posted by ckoshkarian View Post
      I just got a new WSCGC a few weeks ago (love it) and it does have the fan port.
      Thanks for the info. I really don't understand why Weber nor BBQ Guys' customer service could answer that question. Will probably buy direct from Weber.

Comment

Someone from Weber should know. I would have asked customer service to check find out.
        Last edited by Old Glory; October 4, 2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
          Someone from Weber should know. I would have asker customer service to check find out.
          She did put me on hold while she checked with her supervisor.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            aucivil maybe try email. They will have time to research the answer and get back to you.

FWIW, that fan port has always been stealthy for some reason. I don’t recall ever seeing it in any of the Weber propaganda.

Perhaps they figured that if they pointed it out, people wouldn’t believe that it can hold temps as well as they claimed. Which it pretty much does.

Comment

Trigger Pulled, Order Confirmed, guess I need a Vortex (assume a medium), Pit Viper fan and adapter. Wish the SNS was still available.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats, you’re gonna love it.
              And the Vortex is a GREAT accessory. That combo is a wing grillin’ machine. And yes, the medium is the correct size.
              Last edited by surfdog; October 5, 2020, 11:26 AM.

FYI - The port is still there. Got a shinny silver cap. No idea why the sales person couldn't find it.
            Got the adapter installed but not using the fan until I learn the cooker bare. First long cook was pretty steady without electronics.

Comment

I have a WSCGC that I bought in 2016. I don't see a port anywhere. Where is it located? Has anyone removed the gas burner and used that hole? I just bought a Fireboard2 and wanted to het the drive fan for it

Originally posted by aucivil View Post
              Was planning to order the WSCGC before they changed it but wanted to make sure the fan port hadn't already been deleted . Could not find anything about the fan port in the literature on the site. Called Weber and customer service didn't know said they didn't think Weber advised using a fan, just the vents (Geez). Called the BBQ Guys customer service and they didn't know but they called the store to get someone to look and they said they didn't see one and were not aware of the unit having a port.

The port appears to be top secret. Is it still there?

Comment

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s located forward of the "burner" and just below the lower second layer...almost up underneath it if I recall. I’m about 1200 miles from mine presently.

• aucivil
                aucivil commented
                Editing a comment
                Just to the left of the burner tube. It's a hole with a chrome plug/cap. For mine I got the weber adapter from Guru and the pit viper fan. Also use a Fireboard controller.

Does this unit really need a fan port? I know it has one, but is a fan needed? Everything I hear is that it holds temps pretty solidly.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                The best thing about the fan port is that Weber has done the drilling through the double walled construction for us. It's always good to have one available. I've got the adapter, fan, etc. but have never installed them because the temps are so solid. It's on my to do list though.

Wish they had put in thermometer ports, but the gasket works well enough over the thermometer wires. A bit of smoke leaks out but it doesn't affect the cook.

K.

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a fan for my 26, I am not sure the 26, the 22, or my wsm really needs a fan. Webers are set and forget for the most part.

• pknj
                pknj commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Tom, long time no chat! I have found that I don't need the pit viper fan, but I like to use when I want to treat the beast like a pellet cooker - light the coals, set the temp, close the lid, and go chase the kids. The thing so steady it takes no effort at all!

fzxdoc that is interesting. I know you love your PBC also......Please list some foods you prefer to cook in a particular cooker you own, and why that particular cooker for that particular food item.

Comment

Has anyone taken the gas start off? What does that leave me for a hole that I will have to correct for?

Comment

It looks like the gas start could be taken off, Richard Chrz , leaving about a 1 inch diameter or so opening in the side underbelly. Not sure why you would want to, because the SnapJet ignition is so easy, eliminating the need to mess with a chimney.

You can see the ignition tube running into the right side of the belly, about 1/3 of the way up

Click image for larger version  Name:	18501001AB_1800x1800.png?auto=compress,format&fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50.png Views:	0 Size:	398.6 KB ID:	946278

Since the Weber Summit E6 Kamado does not have the SnapJet feature; I wonder if they plugged that hole? I'm guessing they wouldn't make a new bottom half for the Kamado, since they left the leg connector stumps on the One Touch ash collector on WSCGC that I have.

Click image for larger version  Name:	18201001BBR_1800x1800.png?auto=compress,format&fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50.png Views:	0 Size:	276.0 KB ID:	946279
                  Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; November 27, 2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                    Richard Chrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you.

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
                  fzxdoc that is interesting. I know you love your PBC also......Please list some foods you prefer to cook in a particular cooker you own, and why that particular cooker for that particular food item.
                  Alabama Smoke , I cook almost everything on both cookers.

I prefer poultry on the PBC because the hanging/dripping-on--the-fire setup mimics a vertical rotisserie. When I hang a rack filled with sausages at the same time, the lowermost one poked to drip more fat on the fire, I think I get a superior taste in the bird.

That said, Mr. Fancypants, the WSCGC turns out some good poultry as well. The flavor difference is that with the PBC the smoky flavor is more forward in the bite, whereas the smoke flavor from Mr. Fancypants is at the end of the bite, at least to my taste buds.

Sometimes choosing which to cook on is a matter of convenience--the PBC is so much easier to clean (5 minute cleanup, no grate cleanup) that in the cold months it gets more attention, just so I don't have to mess with cleaning the WSCGC's big 24" grate the next morning.

The PBC gets the nod for several racks of ribs because I don't like using rib racks on the WSCGC for the same number of racks.

As far as brisket and pastrami, both do equally as well.

When I make meatloaf, I usually make 3 at once, and that is much easier on the WSCGC.

I enjoy the kettle experience on the WSCGC, using the Vortex for chicken parts, and the SnS Low Profile for smaller cooks, grilling, and searing. Long ago I fiddled with the PBC to raise the basket closer to the grate for grilling but never really liked trying to wield a spatula on a grate in the belly of the beast. Grilling is so much easier on the WSCGC.

I have to use more wood in Kamado mode on Mr. Fancypants to get the smoke flavor we like-- 1 or 2 chunks in the PBC, 5 or 6 chunks in the WSCGC.

I like the fact that I can burn lump and briquettes in Kamado mode as a convenience, but not a requirement. I'm so comfortable with briquettes that I only burn lump for the fun of it. I have not found lump to be superior, mostly because I don't have the ash buildup problem in the WSCGC that some kamados do. Sure, there's a lot of ash but the performance remains rock solid through a long cook.

The PBC seems to perform more solidly with briquettes for me, but that's probably because that's what I've used for so many years that I have a feel for it. Burning lump in the PBC hasn't been as predictable for me.

The WSCGC is so efficient. I have yet to have to add charcoal to the WSCGC for a long cook, whereas for the PBC, I've had to add more charcoal after 7 or 8 hours, depending on the barrel's ambient temp. For that reason, the WSCGC gets the nod for really long cooks.

Well, I've gone on and on, so I'll stop. You can tell that I really enjoy using both cookers.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; November 28, 2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc thanks for that detailed explanation! Very useful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here