Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a rotisserie for the WSCG? I'm going to try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a rotisserie for the WSCG? I'm going to try this

I was just starting to play around with a rotisserie on my Performer right before I got the WSCG. However, I wasn't going to keep the Performer around just for a rotisserie. So, I've been waiting for a good rotisserie option for a year now. Right now, it looks like there are two options either a Spit On Fire for around $350 direct from Holland (and weeks of waiting and hoping it makes it through customs), or a Big Joetisserie and making some modifications (grinding).

I've decided to give the Joetisserie a try. It's still not cheap, but comes in about $130 less than the Spit on Fire and is from Amazon versus overseas. I'm curious if anyone has found any other options for the WSCG? I'm kinda surprised that nothing else has popped up yet. Until I get the Joetisserie and start grinding on it, I can probably return it and change course, so please let me know if there's something I'm missing.

Otherwise, I'll update here on how it goes when I get it. Here's what I ordered:
    https://www.amazon.com/KamadoJoe-BJ-.../dp/B06XCGTT9D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; July 10, 2020, 11:40 AM.

Following this with interest.

Comment

I haven't looked but I still hesitate getting rid of my kettle because then no more rotisserie. However the kettle is my only other real grill so the added real estate helps justify keeping ol' reliable around.

Comment

Following

Comment

If you have the skills to mod the Joetisserie, you should be able to make your own. Just get a sheet of 20 ga, (or thicker), ss, cut to size and either pop rivet it or use ss screws to make the circle. Then add three small L-brackets around the bottom and cut two slots for the skerwer and mount the motor bracket. You might have to make the top a bit wider to fit, but that shouldn't be to hard if you can do the rest.

One benefit would be that you should be able to reduce the air leakage by making a tighter fit.
          Last edited by RonB; July 10, 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t have metalworking skills or tools, but I do have an angle grinder to take a little off the back of the Joetisserie. I’ve thought about trying to make one many times. If I had those skills I could probably make a few bucks selling a few of them.
            Last edited by glitchy; July 10, 2020, 05:43 PM.

From the very beginning with my WSCGC over three years ago, I have wanted a rotisserie. Always thought about making one, or modifying the Joetisserie to fit. Had some serous discussions with the BBQ Guys Back then about this subject and Weber missing the boat. Now we have the Spit On Fire fellers. Really cool.

But alas, got too many cookers, and too many ways of cooking to even need one of these things. I rarely use the rotisserie I have now for my ole gasser and I got that one for free.

I think the modified Joetisserie is the way to go and not really hard. But I do love the new Spit On Fire for what it is. At least they made something to fit both cookers. KJ should have been thinking along these lines to start with, because there is NO WAY Weber was ever going to make something like this for the WSCGC.

Do it man!

Comment

I know Baby Back Maniac looked onto modding the Joetisserie but decided it was too much work and required skills he didn’t have. He posted a link to the mod on his WSCG video.

Kathryn

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Kathryn I remember his comments in that video.

Well here it is. I should have measured some before instead of just after. It’s going to work, but leaks quite a bit around it, but looks like I can hold a steady temp regardless. Took maybe an hour of piddling with grinder, files, and sandpaper. Sprayed high temp paint into an old butter dish and used a foam brush to cover up the bare metal.
            Attached Files

Comment

Video action: https://youtu.be/Tlcvy9wkyYQ

Comment

RonB You lost me at "make your own." 🤦

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would have convinced myself I needed a welder, a brake, a metal cutting bandsaw, etc.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did just buy a "Binford tools" Benzomatic 8000 And two tanks of gas for it to light my primo. I felt pretty bad ass with that.

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry for hijacking that sideways, I was multitasking and just saw the original tag HouseHomey and RonB.

I will say, I ended up just shutting off the fireboard, tweaked the vents a little and stayed pretty locked on a dome temp of 400 for 2-3 hours off of a small chimney of charcoal. I think that will cover most things I’m going to spin.

Comment

My first WSCG Whirly Birds.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by glitchy; July 13, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

So I decided to try this when I saw this up on Amazon (Warehouse) at a relatively low price. I'm curious if you tried it first without the grinding. If so, did you have trouble keeping at moderate temps previously? Also, did the grinding have a definitive functional effect, or was it more aesthetic (knowing it sits flush as it's supposed to and potentially less prone to temperature spikes due to excess airflow)?

The reason I ask is it seems to kind of, sort of fit as-is, in the sense that (1) it seems reasonably secure, (2) the lid seems to fit on top reasonably well, (3) I can't see obvious large air gaps. Still, it's apparent it doesn't fit as it's presumably intended. The inner ring of the JoeTisserieis rests on the inner lip of my weber at the back whereas the out ring fits flush in the front (because the inner ring isn't contacting the weber bowl/inner ring and propping it up there). I may just try this without modifications since that would allow me to sell more readily down the road, but I'm curious about your experience(s) here.

Measured from the back as you did, it seems mine is about 1.75 inches, which implies you removed about 1/8th of an inch at the very back (assuming identical manufacture and someone didn't modify mine covertly).

Was your grinding of the JoeTisserie sufficient to prevent any contact between the inner ring of the JoeTisserie and the lip or bowl of your Weber? So I understand (based on my brief inspection), if the outer lip of the JoeTisserie sits flush on the Weber and there's no contact between the inner lip of the JoeTisserie and the bowl or inner lip of the Weber, the evenness there is pretty much just an aesthetic issue, right? I mean, if so I shouldn't need to sweat this too much, just so long as I remove enough material to prevent contact with the inner lip and hopefully create a reasonably smooth, non-abrasive surface not prone to scratching the paint or cutting skin when moved around, right? That would be substantially simpler than I initially imagined it!

If I proceed with modification, I'll probably document my steps and write it up to make it easier for others to follow. I'll be sure to cite you.

Thanks
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by plaak; April 3, 2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I did it to make it fit nicely and for the lid to close nicely. If my math it correct, 1.75 inches in you photo down to 1.375 would be closer to 3/8ths of an inch removed from the center. You’ll find that it’s really not a complicated process. I wasn’t worried about scratching the lip as when I got done I filed any burrs away by hand. If you are still worried about the lip of your grill, get some of the gasket material they put on cheap offset doors and stick to the edge of the rotisserie insert.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here