Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on WSCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on WSCG

The weather cooperated, and I completed my first cook on the WSCG. Here is my summary of the cook and results:

Meat: Pork spareribs and mild Italian sausage. I separated the ribs from rib tips and lightly sprinkled both with Special Shit rub about 40 minutes before cooking. Ribs were slightly less meaty than I like. I uncoiled the sausage and lightly pierced the casing all over with the tip of a toothpick.

Heat: Day was cloudy and about 55 degrees. No rain. Weber Summit Charcoal Grill loaded with 2.5 buckets of Kingsford and 3 hickory chunks spread on top of coals on lower grate. Deflector plate was installed with drip pan 1/3 filled with water on top. Grill started with gas ignition, brought up to temp. Grill ran around 260-270 for the first two hours, then settled in around 240-250, and then ran around 225-235 for the last two hours. I felt like I needed to keep an eye on the temp with my Smoke probe, but never felt like I needed to babysit the grill. Overall, I’m encouraged after the first cook.

Cook: Ribs went on WSCG around 12:30 pm. Lightly spritzed with water every hour or so. Cooked in the center of grill until about 6:00 pm, no mop, no foil wrap, no sauce. Coil of Italian sausage added around 3:00 pm and cooked until 6:00 pm, temp on ends around 165 and temp in center around 185.

Results: Ribs turned out good. Slightly stronger smoke flavor than I expected. Thin smoke ring and very light bark. Rub tasted a little saltier than I remembered from last time. Perhaps I needed a meatier rack of ribs. Sausage turned out better than ribs, with nice smoke flavor, good snap in casing and fragrant fennel, and prominent smoke ring.

Attached Files

Looks great to me! Nicely done first cook.

Comment

Looks and sounds like a very successful cook to me. Just think how good it will be when you know the cookers personality.

Comment

Oh yeah. Winner, winner.

Comment

Looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

You nailed it

Comment

Nice way to break in that new WSCG, ihadadog . FWIW, I never use a water pan in my WSCGC.

For the first couple of cooks I was puzzled that I did not get a nice smoke ring, which is why I upped the number of small wood chunks, spacing them at intervals from the ignition point. That seemed to get me the pretty (albeit inconsequential) smoke rings that I was looking for.

Kathryn

Comment

Great job looks amazing!

Comment

I use mine much the same as fzxdoc with no water pan.
                  FWIW, I didn’t use water in the WSM either. I didn’t find it necessary, especially if spritzing. (Which I don’t always do.)

I DO use drip pans, just to make cleanup a bit less of a chore. And I foil the diffuser, for the same reason. I’m almost certain that Kathryn does the same. Cleaning gunk off of that thing loses its charm real fast. LOL

Beyond that, it looks excellent and a very worthy first cook on a new toy. Congratulations & enjoy that beast. I know I love mine.

Comment

• ihadadog
                    ihadadog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you both for the feedback. It should be a fun journey to learn from everyone and discover what works best on the new grill!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here