Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings on the WSCG - newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings on the WSCG - newbie questions

Hello, I have a few questions about wings, I’ll start by saying that I am a newer owner, I have done about five or six cooks on my Summit, one of which was a forgettable batch of wings. They weren’t bad, just not that great. So I am still learning - some of my questions might be basic, so forgive me if they’ve been answered elsewhere.

1. Vortex - I have seen it mentioned on here several times, is it worth it and if you own one, do you use it for anything else? I have read elsewhere that people didn’t see significant differences with it and said it wasn’t necessary - that has kept me from giving it too much consideration at this point. Has anyone seen significant differences in taste, crispness or other improvements?

2. Charcoal/ grate placement - this might be a real silly one, but as I mentioned, I’m new to this whole thing. For best results for wings, do you have your grate in the upper or lower position? In conjunction with this question - what do you do with your top vent?

3. Any go-to recipes that you’ve had consistent success with?

TIA!!!

I love my Vortex. I use it for wings, thighs, steaks, pork chops. It's also great for setting up a super hot sear zone for Sous Vide cooks. Flipped upside down it gives you more space. Best searing position on WSCG is fire grate on lower level. Weber charcoal baskets upside down pushed together in the middle to make a circle. Vortex small end down on top of baskets fill with coals. Puts the charcoal half an inch from cooking grate. Gets inferno hot and sears super fast.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Glory; April 24, 2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I never put it on the bottom charcoal grate, only the upper. I presume it still does a good job of putting out heat "straight up" and not scorching the inside edges of the chicken?

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it worked fine, but I usually put it in the upper position as well.

I like mine a lot for hot & fast type cooks, as all the food is pretty much the same distance from the heat source, thus eliminating the need to be rotating food as it cooks. Also good for a killer reverse sear on steaks! Click image for larger version

Name:	39AFA518-1AF4-4F27-A5C6-EB0CBAA2C819.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	836924

Comment

I don't own a Vortex for my WSCGC. I just place the coals in the middle in the upper positing and pile the wings around the outside like most, then finish them in the middle for that crispy char. I VERY rarely cook my wings like you see on my Summit, 99% of the time I skewer them up whole like in my second pic, then I'll just cook them up longways using my SNS LP. This is my fav way to cook em up!!

Got that idea from the BBQ Pit Boys and done them this way ever since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	836929

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	836930

Last edited by lonnie mac; April 24, 2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the skewer idea. Sounds like a good way to get the kids involved.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that you in the video?

• pknj
        pknj commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh that is a great idea! Never thought to try that.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here