Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Decide

Since I am considered an "essential worker" and I must head to work every day, I have decided to gift myself with a new cooker. (Really it is just MCS, I am using this as an excuse.)

Anyhoo, I am pondering the merits of the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, the Primo XL, and the SnS Kamado. All three have their good points. I have wanted a WSCG for a long time. I love my Primo Junior, but need more real estate. The SnS kamado looks cool, and I would like to support our very own Dave Parrish.

Because of weight issues, (the grill, not me) I am leaning towards the WSCG. Price is not an object here.

I generally cook for 4-6 people, and sometimes for company. I like low n slow smoking, hot and fast, and anything in between. I have a Broil King Baron 5 burner gasser, and a Weber 26, and an Akorn. The Akorn will be going away.

Thoughts from the Pitmasters?

No experience with primo XL or SnS and I've only had the WSCG for maybe a month but I really like it. Good amount of realestate with the grate. I only ever cooked on my Weber kettle and with the info in this channel I've found temp control to be very easy, pretty forgiving and consistent. Lots of room for charcoal in the smoking configuration. I've yet to test the limits on the duration of the burn but I intend to do that this weekend overnight on a pork butt. I imagine it will be fine. No option for a SnS for the WSCG but I haven't found myself needing it really and if I really did need it I just use my kettle.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I should add that I picked up the WSCG because I got a insanely good deal on a 1 year old one for $600. Before that I was in the same boat as you are but circumstances made my decision easy. I'd probably still be trying to make a decision!

If weight is the issue, the Weber makes sense. If weight is not an issue then it is whatever Kamado will give you the most real estate

Comment

I do love my kettles. The 22 and the 26. I use KBB exclusively in them. Bbbuuuutttttttt....... The PrimoXL!

My primo is one fine piece of work. Deflector plates, kick ash Can and basket are a must. I have the two extended raised cooking grates as well. I’m gonna load it up one of these days coming.

For me the cast iron divider and cast iron grate are still in the box. Likely won’t ever need them but I bought them. I have the divider for the Kick ash basket.

Get the Primo man, the one with the new hinge. Also the flavor that FOGO puts on is amazing.

Comment

• painter
        painter commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Don’t have any experience with any of those cookers, but what I do know is that every time I choose a smaller cooker over a larger one, I’ve invariably kicked myself in the ass.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ^^^^Words of Wisdom^^^^

My experience has been likewise; never cussed myself, an said "Main, wish I'da bought me a smaller cooker!"
        Never.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 16, 2020, 09:59 PM.

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen. Have made that mistake....twice 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well, I love my Summit. It has quite a lot of real estate...and handles "kettle mode" like any Weber kettle. Two zone is a breeze. In "kamado mode" it behaves like a kamado...but reaction time to adjustment is faster...especially if the temp is over shot. Seems much easier to tame. That said, I’ve not used the other two.

I’ve grilled, smoked, & baked on it. One of my favourite cookers ever. And while it’s not necessary, a vortex turns it into a wing cooking machine. I also have the additional raised grate for the extremely rare occasion when even more space is needed. (Doesn’t get used much. LOL)

One of the deciding factors for me was also the weight. I tend to not stay put for years on end...and didn’t want to move a big ceramic. Even though I’ve only contemplated moving a couple times since getting it, it HAS been moved a few times on the patio. Rearranging as new toys have been added. Easy enough to do alone... But the XL is only slightly heavier, albeit without a table...but that easily could have wheels. So perhaps not a major factor.

I think you’d probably be happy with any of them, even if I am biased to the Weber.
      Last edited by surfdog; April 16, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m kinda thinking the same thing. I highly doubt you’ll have buyers remorse with any of them

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to agree.

If price isn’t an issue get a Komodo Kamado.

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I should clarify that I meant the price range of the Primo and the WSCG

You know what I'm going to say.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Pbc?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wsm?

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Whiskey.

My vote with be with the SNS...

Comment

You said you were leaning toward the WSCG and that weight was an issue-----sooo, go with your gut. Be sure to let us know what you go with.

Comment

Hate to sound like a broken wheel here, but get the WSCGC. You won't regret it. Great real estate, rock solid, easy to move, and man-oh-man is it ever versatile. Everything you ever wanted a bigger kettle for is there. Plus it's a heckuva kamado. I love everything about mine from the construction to the size to the great food it puts out.

I am lucky enough to have a SnS for it and use it all the time for smaller cooks when I don't need to fire up the kamado. I know Dave isn't making them any more, but since he just had an offer for a special run of 26" kettle sized SnSs, I think if enough people hound him, he may re-release (limited) the WSCGC one as well.

Plus all Dave's other accessories work great on it, like the DnG and Raised Grate.

I'm waiting for Old Glory to chime in here. That may tip the balance. He purchased his WSCGC relatively recently and has used the heck out of it.

Kathryn

PS get the medium Vortex for it if you don't already have one and that Weber coal hoe thingy.
          Last edited by fzxdoc; April 17, 2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Is a "coal hoe" the same thing as a prostitute from West Virginia ???

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment

You bad boy, Troutman.

K.

• GroceryBoy
            GroceryBoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Read the reviews of the owners. WSCG is the best cooker I own! You won’t regret it.

Well, I am in the unique position having owned the WSCGC and currently own the Primo XL. Although, my reasons for selling the weber were not related to the performance of the grill, but rather I wanted a custom built table. Thus the reason I own a Primo XL. Given your criteria I'd buy the WSCGC and not even blink. It is a wonderful cooker......it's lighter, won't crack, great customer service and produces great food. Ash management is nice, you're already familiar with kettle cooking, so set ups won't be an issue. As mentioned above, temp adjustments when in kamado mode is great. Lot's of reasons to get a WSCGC.

Now, if you want a custom table.....that's another story.........

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the WSCG. Now I'm contemplating selling it to get the WSCGC. The table would be so nice

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            The WSCGC is so nice, Andrrr . You got such a good price for your WSCG that selling it might indeed enable you to get the WSCGC. Good luck with that shuffle.

Kathryn

Hi I posted this in another thread. I do love the WSCG. It is so versatile. I use it at least 3-4 times per week. With the two level grate it is super easy to switch between cooking modes: Hot Fast or Two zone to Full Kamado.

"I have a WSCG and a BGE XL and I have cooked on both.

BGE Pros:
          More mass with the ceramics. They take longer to heat up but stay hotter longer and may be slightly more stable.
          Great Low and Slow
          Can get really hot for good searing
          More like an oven I do feel you get more heat radiating out of the thick ceramic walls.
          I would choose the BGE for Pizzas
          I have a Woo Ring and the Ceramic Grill Store plate setter so I can pull out the grill grate and plate setter to add charcoal.

BGE Cons:
          Takes longer to heat up ceramic mass
          More mass means that it is harder to bring temps down if you overshoot target.
          Heavy and fragile.
          Not as good at two zone or direct grilling.
          Need rig to lower grill grate to get closer to fire
          Have to pull everything out to add chunks and charcoal
          Need to pull everything to clean ash

WSCG Pros:
          Good at Low and Slow
          Insulated to hold heat and remain stable yet less mass means you can correct temps if you overshoot.
          Great at direct and two zone cooking
          Sears very well
          Fire grate has two levels.
          Easier to switch out heat deflectors
          Easier to add wood chunks and more charcoal because of hinged grate and deflector
          Lighter not fragile
          Gas Assist lighting
          Easier to clean ash

WSCG Cons:
          Less mass means less stability and less oven like cooking
          BGE better at pizza (I assume)
          Longevity not proven

These are just my initial thoughts

Comment

I love my Primo XL but it sounds like you want a WSCG so that's what you should get.

Comment

You probably know I’ve had a few grills and even though I use the pellet grills more, the WSCG would probably be the last I would get rid of. It will just do anything I ask of it and very well. However, I have not tried a ceramic for comparison.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here