Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Touch in the WSCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Touch in the WSCG

Spent a small part of my Saturday adjusting one of my one touch blades on my Performer Deluxe. I’m surprised how flimsy they are at the bend area. Even after cleaning the bowl as much as possible one managed to get junk underneath it and it just gets worse from that point on.

To those that own a WSCG, are the blades as flimsy on them?

I have to think so. My 83 kettle still has the original sweepers in it and they, along with the kettle itself, seem to be much more robust than the late model stuff. The one thing that I noticed right away on my WSCG is that the sweepers really don’t do a great job of cleaning out everything from the bowl. Lots of residual ash sits in there and the one blade doesn’t really sit flush with the bottom so I did try bending it and noticed it seems really flimsy. I still can’t really get it to conform to the curve but I haven’t noticed that it has affected my temp range or stability in any way.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. Mine leave a little behind. I'm going to make a better effort to hit the lower bowl with a plastic putty knife from time to time. I generally do a good job of that but to be honest it's sometimes tough in the middle of winter.

yes - I need to take one out and bend it back. chunk of charcoal got wedged in the hole when I was cleaning it.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      In my case one blade was bent up almost 3/4 of an inch at the tip. I'm guessing mine was caught on a piece of a briquette that was hardened in grease?

I really don't depend on One Touch blade to clean the ash from my WSCGC. I use a dry paintbrush to coax all the ash down into the One Touch ash collector. Then I'll swish the blades back and forth a couple of times and brush the ash down some more.

Also, before I sweep out the ash, I put a newspaper under the One Touch collector pot, since ash flies out of it onto whatever is stored below, like my SnS and DnG.

While using the paintbrush, I wear a mask so I don't inhale fine ash particles that may become airborne. In these days of COVID concern, I've literally dusted (the ash) off those used N95 masks purchased at Lowes back in the day to use in the interim.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 13, 2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. Do you let the briquettes go and do a burn off when you are done cooking, or do you close it up and try to save whatever briquettes are left?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, that's it, from henceforth you are now "Heloise of The Pitmasters"

Razor, I never save briquettes. I did for a while but found that they relight weirdly sometimes. I figure briquettes are the cheapest thing about my smoking hobby, so I start fresh each time.

Often I open all the vents at the end of the cook to help burn off some of the gunk in my cookers and grates.

That said, I do try to use up as much of the fire as possible by adding meats after the main meat has been added, staggering the cook if there's no room to start with. I can always toss on a chicken or some sausages at the end if the fire is still going strong.

Kathryn

Comment

I use those blades just to get the ashes closer to the vent holes to be easily swept down with a whisk brush or something similar. The key to avoiding those grease/ash clods is to keep the grease from getting down there in the first place. Foil on the charcoal grate solves that problem for me.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Idea.

The blades on my WSCGC are right on the bottom of the bowl, so they appear to be scraping off some of the finish. I hope that does not cause a rust issue down the road. I have had the grill almost three years, and no issues so far. I use a plastic putty knife to get the ashes the sweep won’t get, but I like the idea of a small paintbrush to get the rest of the ash cleaned out. Also like the idea of brushing the ash into the collector pot, so then I don’t have to use the sweeper blades so much.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't have to worry about rust. The blades are softer aluminum than the porcelain they use. That is why they bend so easily.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        mountainsmoker good point.

RAGBBQ I use a plastic putty knife. That works for me whenever there is heavy gunk down there then follow up with the one-touch.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here