Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard + Pit viper fan always?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard + Pit viper fan always?

Very big newb question here. I just finished putting together my new Summit in large part because of what I read here. I like toys so I got the FireBoard and Pit Viper fan. Do you use your FireBoard and fan for grilling as well as smoking?

Welcome!

Nope. I just use it for overnight cooks. Or If I wanna cook while I am at work.

Comment

I don't know anything about the Summit, but I use it set to 100% for grilling steaks hot and fast on the firebox of my offset. It gets the charcoal fire ripping hot.

Comment

I don’t normally use if for a shorter term grill session. You are opening the lid too often to really get the benefit of the fan.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. The fan is used for longer cooks to help keep the temp steady at the desired temp. For grillin', you only need to check the temp of your product so you know when it's done.

Comment

Long low and slows for me. No reason to use it on short high heat cooks unless you are looking for desired temps. Basically I only use it when I want to treat the Summit like an outdoor oven.
            Last edited by lonnie mac; March 27, 2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Only use that combo for long cooks. I will use the FireBoard to monitor short cooks: tritip, thick steaks or chops.

Comment

I'll use my fan and controller to get my kamado up to high temps. But once it's hot I'll ditch the fan.

Comment

Most temp probes have relatively low max temps that the wiring can withstand. Grilling temps often exceed the max temps.
                  This is from the Fireboard web site:
                  FireBoard probes should not be placed directly over or next to heating elements, open flame, or hot coals. These situations can lead to temperatures much greater than your probe’s maximum temperature rating (572°F for Thermistors, 716°F for RTD).

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I should have posted pictures but I was too excited to try a steak on my first cook. I'm used to the basic Weber Kettle so it will be a learning experience. I was having a heck of a time hitting my 225 temp on my indirect side according to my FireBoard and I should have been more on top of getting my searing coals ready. Either way, the steaks turned out very well.

Comment

• klflowers
                      klflowers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Where are the pics???? Welcome to the club, we demand pics, or we don't believe the cook happened. I should know, I forget to take pics regularly.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here