Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kicking the tires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kicking the tires...

An opportunity to buy the WSCG secondhand has come up at a price that’s hard to resist and I’m trying to justify it given what I have already, mostly to SWMBO. I have a 22” kettle with SnS and a 22” WSM that I thoroughly enjoy and I don’t need to tell you how I have all the functionality I need already, efficient and about as easy to use as you could ask for. But I think if I do this I’m going to have to sell the WSM both to offset the cost and space constraints. The kettle isn’t falling apart but it’s old and not worth much anyways so that is staying.
    On paper I’d be trading a WSM for a WSCG which will actually leave me with less capacity so I’m struggling to find a compelling reason to pull the trigger. There would be some changes in capacity and fuel efficiency but the only thing I keep coming back to is wanting it for the sake of wanting it which isn’t the worst excuse but not very persuasive. With all the glowing reviews from WSCG owners I think I know your answers already but any words of wisdom?

Perhaps think of it as an upgrade to your W22, which you could pass on to some worthy somebody. If it's a "hard to resist" price you'll never regret getting it, but might regret passing on it.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; March 4, 2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

With that 24" grate in kamado mode, you can get a fair amount of meat on the WSCGC. Waaaay more than in kettle mode with the SnS or on your 22" kettle with SnS. You may be able to get the same amount of meat or more as you get into your WSM by using your old kettle at the same time for those few cooks where you want to maximize volume.

I don't own a 22"WSM, so I'm sort of talking out of my hat here, volumewise, for how it compares to a 24" grate plus a kettle/SnS combo on the side. So it's just a thought.

You'll have so much fun using the WSCGC in kamado mode. It's a different ride from the kettle/SnS experience you already have.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; March 4, 2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        The different ride has been a big part of the allure I think. Learning a Kamado would be fun.

While Mike and Kathryn are giving you logical advice, I'll just say you've opened a portal and the gods of MCS must be appeased!

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha. That portal has been open ever since I saw the thing, I just never thought it would be within reach

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah! They have, they have. Yer bit & now you know you been bit, heh, heh, heh. 🕶

What they said. Once the MCS bug has its teeth into you, "resistance is futile".

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Ugh, it’s relentless even in the face of all logic. Credit to CaptainMike and fzxdoc for giving it their best shot... I appreciate the effort as opposed to "just do it, you’re gonna love it!" Yeah, I’d love a Lamborghini too.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        really!?!

I don’t know what kind of volume you cook, but I have cooked 40# of Boston Butt on a BGE which is only 18”. I assume it cooks similar to a ceramic Kamado which would not require refueling on 12-14 hour cooks.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve yet to NEED both grates in the WSM. You can really squeeze a lot on one grate and a 24” even more so. In that respect I’m not really losing space because I never needed it in the first place.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrrr, I have an 18" wsm and I have only used both grates a couple of times. Last time was around 3 years ago for a 4th of July picnic.

Well, I don’t have neither the WSM nor the WSCG. But, I know this: the WSM is more of a dedicated smoker (I.e. it does _one_ thing), whereas with the WSCG you get a lot more versatility. Plus, like Kathryn says, with the two grills you still have plenty of capacity. I would pull the trigger for the learning experience alone.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        True, versatility would improve and I’d now have 2 grills if I needed it.

Given your lattitude....you aren't going to hate that Summit in the winter months.....

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking that would play into the equation. I can’t say the kettle has had problems with the cold but the WSM def burns through more fuel

I have a weber 22" with the sns, a pbc and a Weber summit gasser. I really want the WSCG and have almost bought it multiple times; however, I can't come up with a reason why I need it, other than I want it. The only way I'd do it is if I got rid of my kettle, but then I'd have to scour the interwebs looking for the low profile sns, because there's absolutely no way I'm not giving that up.

Sometimes this self control stuff is way harder than you would think it is, lol.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        For sure. Getting rid of the kettle isn’t an option because it was my grandpa’s and its resale value is nothing. I do love the SnS and it has its place but don’t forget about the vortex. It kills wings and upside down I find the circle shape just seems to work better for 2 zone as long as your food fits between it and the side of the kettle. I imagine with the 24” grate that isn’t going to be too big of an issue unless you’re cooking a bird or roast. Will you still keep the PBC WHEN you get it?

• SipIt
        SipIt commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrrr Ha, I doubt I'll ever depart from my PBC. The sheer volume of food it handles is amazing and it runs as smooth as my oven with the CyberQ hooked to it. I might have to check out the vortex if you're suggesting it's even better than the sns.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        SipIt I wouldn’t call the vortex better but it’s better at some things, and so is the SnS. Just another tool in the toolbox. I only looked into the vortex because I was seeing everyone here rave about the way it makes wings. Over time I’ve found many other uses for it.
        Last edited by Andrrr; March 4, 2020, 04:46 PM.

I don't cook on my Summit as much as I should, but I've never once been disappointed with it. If I want something to be really special, that's the cooker I use. Nice amount of space, plenty of options on how to set it up to do about anything. If I could only have one grill, this would be the one.

Comment

glitchy "If I could have only one..." seems to be the WSCG mantra. I’m thinking I need to sell the WSM and get this.

Comment

Just do it! Quit the wimpin around!

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan You’re right, now I gotta sell my WSM.
            Sooooooooo.... ya interested???

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here