Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering WSCG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect the op had his mind mostly made up about what choice he was going to make, but wanted some additional validation. A very human response we all make at least one time or other. That being said, there's one specious theme running through this thread that should be pointed out regardless of impact on the op's decision. This notion of a kamado being subject to breakage because of perceived "fragility" is theoretically a "problem" but in the real world I'd bet it's occurrence is closer to zero in the experience of actual owners. When I bought my KJ eight years ago the WSCG was not an option. Had it been I can see that it would be a valid contender in the choice process, though the price of the KJ at that time was half of what the base WSCG is today. The current iteration of KJ is closer, so that's less meaningful. But I can't recall any situation that I encountered that I felt/feel the threat of this "fragile" egg shaped device breaking at a moments notice. The closest I might have had to that feeling was when we moved the 2000ish miles a few years ago and wondered if the moving company guys might find a way to destroy it. Even they didn't find a way. So any folks considering the choices offered here, focus more on the actual features/benefits/issues, not the low probability distractions please.

Comment

Uncle Bob I tend to agree. As I stated, my biggest concern was the weight. I have a friend of a friend that has a BGE, and has had one since it was a thing. And it’s been in the same place since day one. Which is fine as they’ve lived in that house for 30-odd years. I’ve never lived anywhere for nearly that long. Thus my reluctance for a ceramic.

The only "issue" that he’s had is having to replace the firebox. I’ve only seen cracked/broken eggs online...and those appear to be user error: thermal shock/out of control fires and knocking them over (usually when moving them, so again user error.) "Fragility" wasn’t nearly as high on my list of cons compared to potential portability.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        The weight is a legitimate concern particularly for those who have a need to move with some frequency. The cracking of the firebox is also a legitimate, recurring outcome. My original KJ firebox was the typical design, and as I do pizza a fair bit, it succumbed to the repeated wide temp swings. Fortunately KJ has the lifetime warrantee, and as a bonus has developed a multi-sectional firebox to replace the old design. The sectional nature deals far better with the expansion/contraction cycles

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, in discussing the firebox "issue" I was told that it’s pretty much disposable. A consumable that’s easy to replace. The new design looks like they’ve addressed that...and potentially cut way down on those replacements.

I had a Broil King Keg which is a steel kamado, then I switched to ceramics. (KJ and BGE) I know the BKK is not the WSCG, but I would not go back to a metal kamado. Sure there are risks with the ceramic breaking, no question. But they are guaranteed for life, including the guts. As long as you don't break it while moving it or ou are careless it is covered under warranty.. (Weber offers 10-year for the lid and bowl, 5-2 year on the rest)

The big problem I had with my steel keg was the rust. Even with the powder coating, stainless dampers and keeping it covered, I still had rust issues all over it, heat and metal combined with paint will always be hard on any coating. This all led to leaks, which made it really hard to control for low and slow.

I know a lot of folks are happy with their WSCG, and I am sure they are great Kamaods. For me, I think ceramics are still a better option. After owning a metal one and ceramics, I would go with Ceramic. If I had to buy again I would go with a Primo first, then a BGE or KJ.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        See, that’s something I hardly even consider. LOL Living where I do, rust is almost a non issue. One kinda has to go out of their way to get a grill to rust. Even a craptastic cheap grill can go ten years with no cover.

I had similar thoughts as you and everyone else on here, but what finally pushed me into the WSCG was the fact that, deep down, I know that I am not that great of a chef (yet!), so the ability to adjust to mistakes when dialing in temps just took a lot of stress off for me. I love mine, it is so easy, so versatile, large enough for everything, and I love Weber for parts, service, and accessories. Nothing against other grills, but for my time, effort, and skill level, it ended up a no-brainer.
      Last edited by pknj; March 5, 2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here